Reviews for A Long Way From Home
Visage chapter 1 . 3/13/2017
How sweet! This was such a happy little tale! I absolutely LOVE your natural narrative voice. A perfect little pick-me-up. (And I bet Schultz is a fantastic Grandfather. Just this little snippet proved it!) Thank you for sharing!
sparra-music chapter 1 . 10/17/2015
You made me cry again... happy tears, this time.

Way to go on figuring out a way for Papa Bear to reunite Schultzie and Friedrich!
FloatingPizza chapter 1 . 4/28/2015
Ah, this one made tears come into my eyes. Not a very common thing, that. Lovely portrayal of Schultz - how characteristic of him to spend the evening in with his granddaughter - and Hogan's dialouge was spot on too - carefully casual at first, growing more careful and less casual in steady increments. I especially loved his last spoken line. And what a story he told - I find its convulted nature and reliance on happenstance / someone knowing someone knowing someone to be messy enough for truth. You read about people's experiences during and after the war, and so much was built off of coincidence and luck. Beautiful story.
Dinogeek chapter 1 . 4/13/2015
Aaaand I am crying. Okay. But at least they are happy tears this time.
OrangeSunset1701 chapter 1 . 3/1/2015
This was so touching! Loved it!
SaraiEsq chapter 1 . 9/7/2014
Bravo! Thank you for this ending.
TeresaLynne chapter 1 . 3/12/2014
You had the characters down perfectly for this, I could hear their voices, see their expressions... I had tears in my eyes. Many thanks for posting this, and as always it hits just right. :)
Terri chapter 1 . 11/5/2013
It's hard to not start acting while in a public restaurant,but I am just managing. Thank you for a lovely story.
Karen19 chapter 1 . 8/11/2013
Great
Wonderland-fae chapter 1 . 4/5/2013
Ok...you made me cry. Well done & well written.
stars shine out chapter 1 . 8/14/2012
Awwwwww! Beautifully sweet!
Goldleaf83 chapter 1 . 1/13/2012
I liked the first story because it lacked closure: that lack of certainty made it seem very real to me. This sequel gives the closure the other one lacked: I’m glad it’s a separate story and set well after the war because that honors that sense of living without news that made the first story so powerful.

It’s fitting that we see Schultz at the beginning of the story both as father still missing his vanished son and as grandfather interacting with his little granddaughter, the child born from the war, a good that came from that evil, and their play (especially the nose game) is completely convincing. I could hear John Banner’s voice saying the lines of the dialogue: you’ve got Schultz’s voice down pat in this story. Hogan’s post-war life seems completely in character, and using Marya and Berlin offers a nice Cold War setting and rationale for his presence in Germany to talk to Schultz. And I’m sure Schultz is making the right choice in not wanting to know what they are up to!

The dark story Hogan tells of what happened to Friedrich and Hans likewise picks up the realities of the historical period and the impossible choices faced by young men in their decision. This isn’t a sugar-sweet ending: it has bite to it. The twist in their fates is unexpected, but works perfectly and deepens the anguish in the situation. My favorite line: “A big man, tall and heavy-framed, though pared down by the privation of years, with a look in his blue eyes of such anxious longing that it seemed he could hardly bear it.” We can hardly bear it either as we read that.

So as far as this sequel is concerned, I too think it’s about as right as it could get.
Canadian Hogan's Fan chapter 1 . 1/4/2012
What a wonderfully tender scene to open with, one I can see happening easily. I wonder if you have any children of your own, because you have everything drawn beautifully, from Opa Schultz's vocal inflections to Silke's stealing his nose.

I have to laugh at Hogan's characteristic casual explanation for his sudden appearance. I love his interaction with Silke as well, he gets down on her level without being lovely-dovey or condescending.

I've always felt sorry for the Germans on the Eastern Front because they weren't prepared for the conditions they'd have to face. To be branded traitors by their own people when they escaped from the USSR is just heartbreaking. I'm glad to see some peace for the Schultz family at any rate. Nice ending, wonderful job.
konarciq chapter 1 . 1/1/2012
Oh, how lovely... Not only do we get closure, it's a happy ending after all!

It's truly fascinating to see how you build up the development to the climax step by step, so slowly, every little paragraph bringing the reader a little closer to the outcome. And the outcome left to the very very last. A masterwork in itself!

Thank you so much, Dusty!
snooky-9093 chapter 1 . 12/31/2011
How wonderful. What prompted you to write a happy ending? Anyway, I just loved the little details with Schultz and his granddaughter. And what happened to certain members of Hogan's crew.