Reviews for A Long Way From Home
smithcrafter chapter 1 . 12/31/2011
Very well done. Thank you so much for giving us some CLOSURE on this story!
wroxmoe chapter 1 . 12/31/2011
Beautiful - Great scenes with Opa Schultz and Silke. Love the fact that the Hogan network is still working and Lady Luck has not given up on our heroes. Sad but probably too true story. Happy that for our favorite guard it ended up a blessing. Thank you
sarajm chapter 1 . 12/31/2011
Awwwwwww. What a lovely ending.
Six of Twelve chapter 1 . 12/31/2011
Oh, I had tears in my eyes reading this. A wonderful gift for Schultz, to have his entire family back together at last.
80sarcades chapter 1 . 12/31/2011
Beautiful reunion; a happy ending. At least it turned out well for Schultz; it could have been very different for the poor man. That, and being tormented by loss for the rest of his life.
Sgt. Moffitt chapter 1 . 12/31/2011
What a thoughtful and endearing picture of postwar life for Schultz; he has managed to rebuild his life, and he has many blessings to be thankful for, but there's one lingering grief that can't go away...

Enter Langenscheidt, and Olsen, and Baker, and ultimately Hogan, and what was wrong is now right. The son who was lost is now found...and although it's understandable that Friedrich was fearful he might not be accepted, we all know that Schultz would have reacted just as he did. Gosh, you've got me crying again.

I love the little touches like the Christmas cards in English, and the brandy LeBeau had sent. And it's funny to think of Hogan meeting up with Marya in postwar Berlin. And Olsen going out for a beer with Langenscheidt...I can just picture it.

I can also see Hans Müller confiding in Langenscheidt; the key to this happy reunion.

Thanks for such a satisfying conclusion to this tale. Happy New Year!
St PA chapter 1 . 12/31/2011
A Happy and Prosperous New Year to one and all! God Bless.

Thank you for the happy ending. It's wonderful that General Hogan could help bring Friedrich home alive and encouraged Schultz to welcome him back with open arms. Great closure to a question mark in "The Bells."
Belphegor chapter 1 . 12/31/2011
Oh, perfect. This is absolutely perfect. Gripping, heartbreaking, full of quiet, understated but strong emotion - what a treat to wake up to :o)

Schultz would make an excellent grandfather, wouldn't he? The conversation and the memories as he describes the pictures to Silke is so heartwarmingly sweet (without being maudlin or soppy). I love Silke, even though she hardly talks (except for the "I got your nose" thing - that one's universal, isn't it? :o) and is rather shy; but I love the way you describe her reactions, to her Opa and to this strange and rather fascinating (some things never change, eh?) man. And Schultz's describing the Stalag 13 snapshot (with Newkirk climbing out the window as a side detail, all the more hilarious for it!) is as priceless as it is spot-on in terms of characterisation.

I loved the catching-up on familiar faces - and of course some of the guys would be posted in Germany, I didn't even think of that! And the mention of Marya made me smile. I wonder what she's up to in the post-war world.

And of course, after discovering the story of what happened, little by little, the resolution is perfect. I could not hope for a better ending, really. Thank you for writing this heartwarming coda (or was it an encore?), and writing it so well :o)
ColHogan chapter 1 . 12/31/2011
Beautifully written and brilliant. For a while I thought maybe Hogan had been unable to find out about Schultz's son or that perhaps he was dead. Then when Hogan showed up, well, what a wonderful belated Christmas present for our Schultz. I'm so glad Hogan was able to give Schultz what he wanted. You did just perfect with the follow-up.
El Gringo Loco chapter 1 . 12/31/2011
A touching story. War does things to all it touches. And many of the real life stories end on a huge question mark. But if any were to have a happy ending in this realm. To change that question mark to a period, I think the author made an excellent choice of character for it.
25 | « Prev Page 1 2