Reviews for Populating Wizarding America
Taure chapter 1 . 1/9/2012
This is an admirable attempt at coming up with some facts for wizarding America.

However, I feel that you're missing something pretty key in all your discussion of demographics: purebloods. All of your figures are calculated from Muggleborns (number of wizards per Muggle). This seems to miss the key aspect of wizarding families having magical children, which should constitute the majority of wizarding population.

I also think your analysis is rather ahistorical. Possibly the most important factor in considering the demographics of the US wizarding world is the level of immigration by wizards to the US. If this was low to non-existent, then the US would have a relatively low population, given no magical population base. It will have to develop entirely from Muggleborns. Further, and even more crucially, if there weren't sufficient wizard immigrants then there wouldn't have been any wizarding society to induct Muggleborns into the magical community, except for whatever magical society the Native Americans had. Without immigration, the flavour of US magical culture may be extremely different to that of US Muggle culture, having its roots in Native American society rather than European society.

Still, like I say, an admirable attempt.

My own vision of US magical culture is as described above: significantly Native American in nature, as I don't see why European wizards would be motivated to migrate to America like their Muggle counterparts.
kikila chapter 1 . 1/8/2012
This gives a really interesting insight into Wizarding America. I am definitely going to recommend it to my friend planning on writing a WA story. I might even write one myself!
Inverarity chapter 1 . 1/3/2012
Somewhere there is a post I wrote for a fan fiction forum in which I speculated along similar lines. I worked out numbers given a range of ratios, from 1 wizard per 2000 Muggles (almost certainly too many) to 1 wizard per 20,000 Muggles (probably too rare).

My numbers were pretty similar to yours. I also speculated that some countries may have a higher wizard population density than others, and tried to figure out what these numbers (or a hypothetical average of 30-40 new students per year at Hogwarts) says about the wizarding birthrate.

But the bottom line is, Rowling's numbers are tosh 'cause she can't do math. ;)
So this is real life chapter 1 . 1/2/2012
Excellent and well detailed analysis; just a note - Inverarity is a guy (I thought he was a woman at first as well, but he's posted about his frustration with people thinking he's female on his livejournal)
Little Old Anonymous Me chapter 1 . 1/1/2012
I think that, since there are students being educated at Hogwarts from Ireland and Scotland, that American wizardry schools would probably include some students from the parts of provinces in Canada that are closer to continental US, such as British Columbia. Hawaii and Alaska might have their own schools, as with Guam and Puerto Rico, as the first language of those territories is not English.
Alexandrus W. Pendragon chapter 1 . 1/1/2012
An excellent analysis, benefitting as ever from your precise attention to detail.

A small observation, though potentially a significant one: historical factors may make Wizarding Britain as portrayed in the series a problematic baseline for calculating numbers and ratios. Voldemort's first reign of terror lasted more than a decade (I seem to recall the number 13 being bandied about at some point). While the fear which tinged the memory of this time is likely due in part to the brutality of Voldemort's tactics, it seems a reasonable assumption that the body count was also be quite high, and that the wizarding population would have been more affected than the muggle. It is impossible to quantify the size of the impact, but at the high end a comparison could perhaps be found in the generational loss of the World Wars, or the American Civil War. Furthermore, the insecurity of the time is likely to have driven down the birthrate, which may help to explain the relatively low student populations of Hogwarts during Harry's years (as portrayed), versus JK Rowling's higher estimates. In Harry's first year, every student there would have been born during the First War, and it is likely (though unconfirmable, given Harry's predilection for missing sorting ceremonies) that subsequent classes would have been larger.

The impact of this fact on your overall calculations is likely small, and I am worse with maths than Ms. Rowling herself, so I cannot even fathom what it might be...
21 | « Prev Page 1 2