Reviews for Umi no Misaki, Favor
Wittmann the Tiger Ace chapter 3 . 4/16/2013
This is an excellent story and well thought out. I only left a review after reading all three chapters because I didn't want to stop until I was finished.
Sim-Sim2 chapter 3 . 3/9/2013
You really managed to capture the feel on the story. And it's written greatly to book. Thank you!
Draco38 chapter 3 . 9/19/2012
Excellent work! I love this manga and just searched FFNet on a whim. I’m glad I did!
The Wise Duck chapter 3 . 3/15/2012
Okay—did not see THIS coming no way no how! But upon reflection I do believe that this story was a perfectly reasonable extension how the world of Shrine Maidens works.

Loved the first part. You got all the necessary information in to bring everyone up to speed in so far as how the world has progressed. I do have to wonder if Nagi hasn’t bitten off a little more than he can chew as far as that triple science major. It seems to me that the girls would also want to take part above and beyond their Shrine Maiden duties (example—Shizuku takes oceanography and aquaculture, Karin takes sociality, demography, public policy and marketing, Soyogi gets involved in the ‘preservation’ branch of library and information sciences to act as ‘guardian’ for the island and its culture while working simultaneously in solar/wind power for export) but I know that would probably be far outside of the story you wanted to tell. I can’t help think though that it would be a good story if you incorporated the girls experiences in learning/adapting to the outside world (“I've learned how to be a city girl by now”) along with the ‘worlds’ reaction to Nagi and his harem.

But I digress. Anyway, award goes for very very good use of dialogue by a three year old regarding dumb fathers and ‘fish’. Also Lol at the ‘throwaway’ phrase; “much-married man”. Too perfect.

Then there’s Rinne.

All I can say is that Nagi continues to be a very lucky Dragon-God. I find no fault and liked how Rinne had an answer pre-loaded for every one of Nagi objections including the proper historical data (okay, I’ll admit it. You made me Google “Ryukyu Kingdom” to make sure I could acknowledge the facts). And it seemed that High School has not made Rinne any less direct than she was before although it’s obviously moved from head motions/hand gestures to verbal directness with no problems.

Finally, good job with the names for Nagi’s junior harem. It was nice that you gave us clues in the footnotes.

So thank you for a very good story. Hope you find some time to more Cape Maiden stuff. You do it well.
NaweG chapter 2 . 3/7/2012
So good it actually got me to subscribe to the site. Having followed the manga, I feel this author has both captured the feel of the original story, as well as continued it in a masterful fashion. I eagerly await Chapter 3.
The Wise Duck chapter 2 . 2/3/2012
To shamelessly steal a phrase/concept: and now for something completely different.

Whole turnaround of the story here. The mood/attitude of Goto does not surprise me from the Fanfic sense. Just for giggles, this is not the way I saw things as far as what happened in the first couple of chapters. My interpretation (God knows how I came up with it as there really isn’t anything to support such a feeling in canon) was that Nagi’s father knew what was going to happen and chose not to be present because he knew that he was going to get in the way.

Be that as it may, I thought you portrayed him and his attitude (along with the ‘polite’ way he was trying to control/subdue/redirect it) was realistic. Why Nagi’s parents left the island is open to interpretation/speculation. When we take into account that Shizuku’s mother has ‘moved away’ and is estranged from her daughter opens that speculation even further. But what you did here is fine. I liked the Doctor’s offices scene and thought it was good.

I do find it strange that Goto seems to indicate that Nagi would have and be better suited for a life outside of the island by his comments regarding ‘right education and right introductions’. If this was the case, I cannot fathom his allowing Nagi to come to the island in the first place as Goto himself had no reason to allow Nagi (or himself for that matter) to move to the island other than the vague ‘promise’ mentioned by Obaa. Given the dislike and hidden contempt Goto has for the island and the religion in the flashbacks, it seems more likely that he would ‘honor’ the promise to bring Nagi to the island when he was seventeen on a ‘vacation’ then return him to the ‘real world’. He sounds very much like a typical success driven man who wants (and expects) his son to follow in his footsteps.

The Maidens that the way they stand up to Obaa is very good. I especially like how Shizuku invoked their standing as Goddesses to put her foot down. Bravo for that.

Bravo also on the parts regarding Nagi and Rinne. I’m like him, you just have to care for that little girl—you can’t help it.

So after that—things get very interesting.

Suffice to say that I think that you have done a very good job in taking what has been available in the story so far regarding clues both visual and in the dialog in order to produce a completely real/justified legend/folklore/ceremony that matches the history and people of the island. You did it in a dramatic manner that kept me reading even though, like Nagi, religion is not my cup of tea. I do think that at some point, the fact that the Maidens intended to ‘sacrifice’ themselves could have been stated more strongly. You would think that with the islanders considering them ‘gods’ would have somehow anointed them in preparation for their sacrifice. I also wonder if Karin, being that she is not devout, should have shown more anxiety about what she knew was about to happen to her love even in the form in inward turmoil that was outwardly invisible.

Then there is the results.

I would have stressed just a little bit more that ‘none’ of them intended to return without Nagi, even just ‘none’ in italics. The rescue itself—shall I be shameless and say ‘breathtaking’?

And after that?

Hoboy—

Well, I’m really not sure how long it would have taken Rinne to get to the bottom of the cliff considering how long it took Shizuku and Nagi to climb back up it after her rescuing him. But at least ‘twice’ with each? I understand the ‘why’ in that why but if it where me, if it was going to be that way and if I had that much time, it would have been three times each, that way in each round, each of the girls would have had a chance to be ‘first’.

So looking forward to the third (and sadly final—as far as I’m concerned, you could just keep on going because you seem to have it down) chapter.

Until then, Take Care

The Wise Duck
The Wise Duck chapter 1 . 2/3/2012
Finally, someone wrote a story about this story. All I’ve got to say is that it’s about time.

I do like this first chapter with Nagi and Karin. I think you do a very good job with the Maiden of Fire, her world and how she affects it. Also, I have personally contemplated doing a story about what the rest of the island thinks about Nagi and his relationship with the Maidens but unfortunately it’s way down the list of things to do. Anyway, I think you cover the basic aspect of it here very well with those ‘broad smiles and knowing glances’.

Anyway, regardless of what could only be considered a ‘bummer’ (I know—I’m an old guy) ending due to the presence of ‘Father’, I thought it was a very good build up for the two of them. It kind of follows through on poor Nagi’s thoughts from the panel ‘what he wanted to happened vs what actually happened’ in chapter 85. I thought it was well done.

Oh well, maybe they’ll have better luck next time.

On to the next chapter.

The Wise Duck
insomniac1970 chapter 2 . 1/30/2012
I wasn't sure where you going with this after the first chapter, but the second chapter had great tension. As some who enjoys Fumizuki-sensei's manga (I'm currently writing an Ai Yori Aoshi fic), I feel that you have done well capturing the mysterious feel of UNM. As for the listed pairing, I'm more of Shizuku fan, but Karin is a VERY close second. Keep it up! I'm going to keep following this story.