Reviews for A Girl in Black
Paralauragram chapter 34 . 7/16
I've read the entire story in a day. It's beautiful - thank you.
I reviewed before, but for some reason, it won't show up.
Oh well.
Just wanted to say that this fic is a gem: a well written, engrossing Mary/Richard story is hard to find.
Though I did think the drama between them when he left (Ch 16-26) was a bit prolonged, otherwise, this story really made my day.
Oh god, are my eyes deceiving me? A DECENT, well written, in character and engrossing story pairing Richard and Mary that is COMPLETE?
You've made my day.
ronandhermy chapter 1 . 11/25/2014
This story was wonderful. I normally wouldn't be a Richard/Mary shipper (I was more neutral on the subject) but this fic had definitely swayed me to your side. The Mary/Matthew plot lines always sat ill with me, it seemed such a disservice to Mary's character in a way to supposedly fall in love with a man who is at once bland and cold like Matthew. But Richard has character by the pound and I enjoyed reading this take on their relationship. If the plotlines were like this on the show I might actually still watch it. But this was simply marvelous, as have been all your other fics for this fandom. Great stuff. You really captured your characters and the feels of places.
c3lia chapter 8 . 10/27/2013
So... first Richard calls her Cinderella when he thought that Lady Rosemount wouldnt let Mary go to the theatre unchaperoned... And now, Mary makes the same analogy (locking in the attic with the birds and mice the fairy godmother) :) :) :)
Mary DOES listen to Sir Richard!
c3lia chapter 2 . 10/27/2013
I like that even though Richard is this story's hero, you arent picturing him as perfect and that he was actually late to their meeting :)
And again: great, great last sentence about how Mary and Sir Richard are "two well-matched opponents"!
c3lia chapter 1 . 10/26/2013
oh my... I cant believe that I'm starting to read a Mary-Carlisle story 'cause I'm such a Matthew fan... But, obviously, your "Something Worth Having" (which is great, btw) influenced me... And so, here I am: reviewing this story because I just loved-loved-loved this last Richard's sentence about how he hadnt be the one who had brought up the subject of kissing...! :) GREAT! GREAT ending to a great 1st chapter!
Elizabeth chapter 34 . 8/18/2013
I love reading this story and go back sometimes to read some of its chapters again. I also like its sequels; A Lady in Paris and the Last Rose of Summer. I hope you add another sequel, such as Mary and Carlisle relationship during World War I as (this is a great story) I often check to see if you have.
foojules chapter 34 . 6/17/2013
Just wanted to come back and review now that I've finished (and am thoroughly enjoying Something Worth Having, which I'll get around to reviewing someday... :) ) I really love this AU, and I think you've done a convincing job of building Mary and Richard's relationship. They're both "strong and sharp" and whereas in canon this ultimately contributes to them falling apart, here it really strengthens their respect and regard for each other. I love how you've written their banter, and I think you've captured Mary's mix of prickliness and vulnerability, as well as Richard's balance of ambition and devotion to Mary, very well.

Anyway, loved the fic and I would read the hell out of a sequel!
foojules chapter 3 . 4/19/2013
I finally started reading this fic and can't think of enough nice things to say about it. Your writing, characterizations, dialogue - all just beautiful. Can't wait to read the rest!
Lady-Finwe chapter 34 . 4/16/2013
Awesome and cant wait to start reading the next instalment :)
Latona Enelra chapter 34 . 3/11/2013
Oh my God! It's over! Noo! I started reading this when it was probably one of the few Richard/Mary stories out there. I stopped reading for a while to wait until you finished it because I could not bear the thought of having to wait for an update every day. But the wait for me was worth it. I enjoyed this story immensely. You brought a ship to life for so many of us which we all knew would have been amazing had it been given a chance to sail. The way you described Richard and Mary's personalities was so in character and I could definetly see them acting this way. And your dialogue was magnificent and kept me entertained at all times. Though my favorite chapter was when they danced together at the cave the first time. Their love was one of a kind and they did have something better than everyone else around them. Thanks so much for sharing this with us. Can't wait Til your next story!
Silvestria chapter 34 . 2/16/2013
Waaaah don't make me cry on the train, dammit! Oh, Lisa, thank you. Thank you for sharing your amazing talents with the fandom in such an accomplished, entertaining, literary, elegant novel. I feel so privileged to have been along for the ride and to have got to know you while you were writing it. It's the most marvellous story filled with everything that ticks my boxes (and I'm sure for other people too) and written with the added depths of historical research, themes, literary subtext. You've created a rich, absorbing Edwardian world from Downton Abbey that is totally in keeping with the show and characters but also expands on it and opens it up to new themes and ideas and alternative points of view. That is so refreshing and a sign of your interpretative talent and creativity.

The epilogue was a perfect ending - and I teared up thinking about who the girl in white was and the name and the lack of sentimentality over the baby from Mary and Richard over the birth(which obviously doesn't equal coldness), the way the family both was and was not reconciled and, of course, I'm just desperate to write next gen fanfic about Aurora Carlisle in the early 1930s! Such a pretty name and I love the reasons behind it. (Though I personally think Rose Carlisle wouldn't have been too bad either. :P)

I've laughed, I've cried, I've swooned; it's been a wonderful ride and I can't wait to read more from you, in the fandom or otherwise. :)
Silvestria chapter 33 . 2/16/2013
PERFECTION. Everything about this was perfect - cracking dialogue, beautiful romance, tango dancing... I feel kind of unable to leave a meaningful review because it was just all perfect!
Silvestria chapter 32 . 2/16/2013
Ahhh Kate Middleton reference actually worked and made me smile! And a perfect last line. Almost as heart-warming as the one we got in the show. :P What a journey it's been to get them to this point and I'm glad you gave Mary that scene with her father. He didn't change really, but there was the beginning of something and that's so important. Baby steps... (Pun intended.) I love the way you weave the colours, the strong and sharp through the story, tying it together especially at a moment like this when really everything is coming together.