Reviews for Chalumeau, Clarino, Altissimo
Chipmunk94 chapter 2 . 7/22/2013
Hmm, interesting
ScarlettWatson chapter 2 . 3/27/2013
Your writing is beautiful. I would really like to read more!
forgetmenotjimmy chapter 2 . 4/3/2012
Wow, this is a really interesting AU, please keep on writing! Can't wait for John and Sherlock to meet!

:D
msdarque chapter 2 . 1/16/2012
Poor John, but at least he's getting better. :)

Liked it.. in a bit gloomy, bittersweet shade.

Congrats!
Faustinette chapter 2 . 1/16/2012
Whahou I'm really amazed by your writing. I love art (every kind) and your writing very well what can happen between a man suffering and art.

Can't wait the following chapter :)
ana chapter 2 . 1/16/2012
Glad to see someone writing about an instrument so positively.

If you want to tweak a little I'd advise:

He'd probably have to get some reeds from a music shop which are lower strength than he would normally use - probably would do this after the first attempt - because the pain in the lips from forming the embouchure would be far worse than being out of breath and the best way to build lip strength back up would be to get softer reeds and then work back up to what works best for the instrument and mouthpiece combo. Incidentally, you don't have better players on harder reeds as a matter of course, it is detirmined by how your teeth and mouth shape work with the particular mouthpiece, reed cut and instrument.

You can get fancy thumb rests for the right hand which provide a lot of stability for people suffering with injuries etc. I know his problem is mostly left side but if he goes in a good music shop it might get mentioned.

Most clarinetists I know would start with the slow movement (2) of the Mozart - never the first. It is more rewarding when in a contemplative mood and still has some quick fingering in. He'd probably start with this and then over time months build up to a full blast through the whole concerto.

Open G - not a tuning note normally - we normally go for B or C. Also, he'd probably be using a resonance fingering (i.e. right hand fingers down) which would stabilise the tone compared to the tone of the other notes and also give him a better grip of the instrument.

That first squeak...SOOOOOOOOOOO accurate! and the taste of reeds too. Some brands are simply nasty. I'd love to see a scene where you send him to a music shop to get some more reeds and he encounters 'flow packaging' for the first time. Bit of a change (for the better) in the industry which could reasonably have happened in his time away.

Hope this lot helps a bit.
reptarrocks42 chapter 2 . 1/15/2012
Normally, I don't care for darker material, but it doesn't go too far into details of John's episodes. I also like the idea of where this will lead a lot!
Time and Fate chapter 2 . 1/15/2012
Love it. First time I've seen someone include something about flashbacks,, I liked it
Faustinette chapter 1 . 1/9/2012
It's amazing, very sensual and profund. I wait the following chapter :)
Time and Fate chapter 1 . 1/5/2012
Love it. Please write more
msdarque chapter 1 . 1/3/2012
Beautiful and sad... also intriguing beginning.

I'd like to read more. :)

Congrats!
Ambikai chapter 1 . 1/3/2012
Brilliant. Lovely. I was never a clarinet player but I did play an instrument so I can appreciate this so very much, but even so the descriptions are fantastic. I'm very intrigued to see where you take this AU :)