Reviews for The Sins of Religion
Bergamotte chapter 2 . 4/2/2013
I wonder why Christine went to visit Erik, knowing how easily he could come unhinged and lose control. Did she really do it just because she had promised she would come?

Your Leroux-Erik and Christine interact unusually gently with each other. His rages are less violent than in other incarnations of Erik, but still immensely scary because we know the potential for greater violence is there. Obviously he found and read her letter while she bathed. I feel it was a bit silly of her to write a letter to Raoul while in Erik's home; surely she could have waited until she was no longer under his eye. I suppose she had to see his reaction, to understand that she wasn't free with him.

This story, like Perfume's other E/C work, is beautifully written.
green-eyed-owl chapter 2 . 7/26/2012
Powerful and intriguing. Well done!
Hades de Charon chapter 2 . 7/25/2012
Ohoho, yes. Yes. As I mentioned elsewhere, I adore when someone writes E/C that's actually in character and far from moopy maudlin. I enjoy when people actually construct conflict. I think you capture Christine's self-preservation and tolerance for Erik quite well-she doesn't love him, she doesn't hate him, she just wants to keep him placated. And your Erik is so adorably pathetic and pitiful and contrasts so well with his anger and condescending arrogance, which is just perfect. So pretty much, yes, this is fabulous. Thank you for writing :D
Kittie Darkhart chapter 1 . 1/13/2012
Oh, this is fantastic so far! I mean, not only does this story feature a very Leroux Erik, we also have the pleasure of hearing him refer to himself in the third-person! .

It's also wonderful that you're writing from a point in-between the unmasking and Apollo's Lyre. I don't often see very many Leroux-based stories written before that point, so it's a real pleasure in seeing one before Erik goes completely ballistic on Raoul and Christine.

And I absolutely love Christine in this, by the way; the girl has quite a bit of a backbone here! Thank you, for writing a strong Christine, who will stand up to Erik, and demand that he apologize to her! The whole scene was just brilliantly done!

Christine: "Apologize, Erik!"

Erik: o.0;

And also, Christine's reasons for having Erik remove his mask were also nicely touched upon. I like how she convinced him to eat for her, even he only did it to please her. Her leaving the table after his refusal to remove his mask was just icing on the cake for me. It was indeed, a very powerful, evocative scene.

I really do like where this is going, since Erik and his views on God and religion in general is a subject that I don't see touched upon all that often in stories. I've actually been re-reading Leroux's novel, just to understand what his beliefs really are, since he really doesn't strike me as a religious person. Leroux seems to leave the whole matter incredibly vague. But you're certainly right about him using religion to his advantage, in regards to his deliberate manipulation of Christine, as well as compromising her trust in him.

But, yes, it's a very thought-provoking subject you've touched upon, and I can't wait to see where you go with this story, especially since I've a feeling that Erik is already suspicious of Christine, with her having brought pen and inkalong with her. Because, really, who is she going to be writing to, I wonder? A certain viscount, perhaps?

And, again, I have to say that I absolutely love the title of this story. It's one of the most original, if not one of the best, I've seen on this site. It just sounds so incredibly naughty! :D

Hope to see more from you soon!

- Kittie
woland666 chapter 1 . 1/8/2012
Nice piece of writing!
Venture Wood chapter 1 . 1/5/2012
Really? No reviews? Come on, people! This is genuine material.

As you can see, I am reviewing this story! Yay! I was browsing upon the stories in the Phantom of the Opera book section and meandered upon your story. I had no idea what it was about (the summary was a little vague; perhaps you should elaborate on it), but I saw it had no reviews. I decided to give the story a chance and I am glad I did!

I am enjoying your story and I hope you will continue it for your one reviewer.

Okay, props time! I have to give you some serious props for having Erik speak in third-person. I am so glad you remembered that! Seeing as how you based your story off of Leroux's classic, Erik should, as you have made him, be speaking in third-person. SO PROPS TO THOU!

That is all.

Venture Wood

P.S. Please write more! For my sake!