Reviews for Lost Time
What a wonderful, perfect story this is! I have to second the previous review: your OC's feel so real, they become canon in my head, as does the whole story! I was terrible disappointed when Fellowes left us in the dark about their time in Ireland, it felt lazy and such a wasted opportunity. You fill in all the empty potholes and so much more - you add new dimensions to S & B, make their love more believable. Besides that, your writing is poetic and lovely. I really do hope you'll update and finish their tale. Their plan to leave England is quite the cliffhanger. It would be such a shame to see this story, the Best SB fanfic there is, go unfinished. Please please do continue!
Fortuitous-occurencess chapter 104 . 9/5
I absolutely adore this story - your characterisation of Tom and Sybil is brilliant as well, as your writing style, and this is one of the few fanfics in which I love the new characters you have introduced as much as those from the actual show (genuinely quite gutted some of them aren't featured in canon!. Can't wait for the next update!
Eliza chapter 83 . 8/29
I love that you've addressed Tom's development too! So often people forget about him and just focus on how Sybil changed during the five years. I especially like how you've focused on Tom's seemingly constant ability to condemn himself to isolation during those early seasons. I've never really picked up on that and I think your amazing writing and thoughts have added so much depth to his character - if only you had been one of the writers on the show ! This story has truly had me hooked and I've been reading it none stop for two days now!
Eliza chapter 11 . 8/28
Honestly. I don't know if this story is long ended, but I just wanted to say this chapter is the best sybil/tom piece of writing I've ever read (and ive read a lot!). I completely agree about the lazy writing of Tom in the show during these episodes and I honestly believe if this chapter - this amazing scene you've written - had been included in the show it would have been a million times better and would have explained and added so much depth. You're such a talented writer ...truly amazing. If you ever write a tv show or publish a novel please let us know and I will happily watch/read it!
You are going to finish this wonderful story aren't you?
elfish chapter 1 . 7/11
I don't think I have the skills to describe how much I am in love this piece of writing. It's definitely one of the best fanfictions I've come across in my life as a busy reader.

Your writing style and wording are amazing. I have to admit it did take some time to get used to because it is different than every I have read until now but after a while, one starts to appreciate your way of words. And there were times where I just stopped reading and thought how wonderful a certain sentence or expression was.
The manner in which you describe a character's emotions are fantastic. Together with the analogies you use to make us understand what is going on in the character you have a way to make them feel like real people. An actual existing person.

The amount of time you spent on the side characters is just right. Enough for us to have a perception of their personalities but not too much to lose the focus of the main pairing.

I have to say that I absolutely love this time shifting thing you do. Where we have scenes of the past and the future mixed together in chapters. I really couldn't stop reading because I wanted to know what happened that certain things had turned certain ways in the future. Here I also have to add that it took me time to get used to it but I absolutely love this style now. And I'm excited to see what's going to happen now that the present is slowly catching up to the future.

There is no need for me to say that I adore your characterization of Tom and Sybil. The way they sometimes just erupt into political discussions is what I live for and how the scene can switch so naturally from a political mood into a romantic one. They love each other so much and every chapter manages to show that in different ways.
But not just as a pair, you also did an awesome job on them individually. Tom in service was exactly how I imagined him to be, a little lonely and secluded from the others because the person he truly wanted to have all his conversations with was upstairs. Her being the reason why he stayed at that place anyway.

To Sybil characterization, I have to say that she seems more selfish that she does in other fics. She is still the lovely person she has always been but the way she confronted her family, not caring with the sole purpose of her own needs, was remarkably different than I had read in other fics. Which was wonderful. No one can be a saint and Sybil also isn't perfect. And to be honest, I really wanted her to be like that, a little selfish because every person/woman should be at least a little to achieve that in life what one truly desires. And even when I understood where Edith came from when she scolded her the night before the wedding for being insensitive concerning their father, I really couldn't fault Sybil.

Especially because of the way Robert acts after Sybil has left the house. Gosh, I don't think I have ever disliked Robert as much as I have in this fic. He has never been a favorite character of mine and I absolutely understand why Sybil left like that. Here he is so incredibly irritating and I really despite the way thinks about Sybil, Tom and the world.
He isn't that aggravating and bad in canon I think but him acting the way he does fit too perfectly into the context of the story to make it any different. If he wasn't as awful the story would miss something. Because we can picture him as one of the egoistic British people. The way he acts as if he knew everything and everyone when in truth he is the character who is the most ignorant in every aspect really. We have a face for the foes or at least a part of the face. Maybe that's just the way I feel about it.

Now to my favorite thing about this story: the historical accuracy. Just the general history backstory is so amazingly done. Back at Downton it was just something Tom's occasional streams of consciousness reminded us of. We knew there was a problem in Ireland but we didn't really understand until Tom and Sybil moved there. We learned about this country together with Sybil and you have done that so well, the way we discover truths of the country bit by bit and how bad the state is the country is in. The historic events move from the background to the foreground very smoothly.
It feels real and authentic as if there had really been a Tom Branson and Sybil Crawley out there who had to face the problems these two are facing. And with every chapter, I really start to despite the British. And understand so much more why the Irish are angry and have the right to be so.

I really am so excited to read the next chapter. I have no idea what's going to happen because you always build in some interesting twist or revelation, and I'm so looking forward to seeing what's coming next.
Will they really be able to run away from Downton? Has Robert completely lost his mind in his fury and what is he hiding exactly? What the hell is going on with Liam?
elfish chapter 104 . 7/11

He isn't that aggravating and bad in canon I think but him acting the way he does fit too perfectly into the context of the story to make it any different. If he wasn't as awful the story would miss something. Because we can picture him as one of the egoistic British people. We have a face for the foes or at least a part of the face. Maybe that's just the way I feel about it.

Now to my favorite thing about this story: the historical accuracy. Just the general history backstory is so amazingly done. Back at Downton it was just something Tom's occasional streams of consciousness reminded us of. We knew there was a problem in Ireland but we didn't really understand until Tom and Sybil moved there. We learned about this country together with Sybil and you have done that so well, the way we discover truths of the country bit by bit and how bad the state is it is in.
shana.rose chapter 104 . 6/7
Ack! So I just realized that I forgot to leave a review when I read this one! I loved the constraint of sweet and bitter memories. Sybil telling Tom they are having a baby vs Tom at Downton waiting for her to arrive worried sick and feeling awful. Not to mention Liam promising to help with the baby if Tom is dead. As always beautifully done.
This story, I can't even. Love it so much.
Thanks for the update. I just love this story and wish it would never end. (Sigh)
finlee chapter 104 . 5/29
I have such love for this story! Thanks for sharing!
Wow ! Just. Wow
Iove your stroy so much
Maire Eire chapter 104 . 5/28
Scary stuff - and so well written. You have really captured the spirit of those times in the way no other Downton fanfic writer has. So Liam loves Sybil - I always thought so. Think that Sybil was a trifle brutal though in her rejection. Just ADORE (underline 100 times) this story and cannot wait for an update. Guess Liam won't survive the troubles. Few did.
mademoiselle.poupee chapter 104 . 5/28
I'm still trying to catch my breath. What a whirlwind - and that last scene. I still don't know what to say and my emotions are everywhere.

Great job as always!
waywardnomad chapter 104 . 5/27
But that chapter ending! So sad! And just vague enough that I'm not sure if "those were the last words they said to each other" means before she got on the boat, or for the rest of their lives. I'm so glad you're continuing to write this story — it is 100% my favorite 3
1,694 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »