Reviews for Lost Time
cnomad chapter 104 . 11/5/2016
I am in love with this fic! I hope you're still working on it? But even if you're not, don't worry. I've come back and re-read this story about four times since I discovered it. I'm considering a fifth time as I type this review... I was also wondering if you've ever considered posting this fic to AO3? Since it has seems to be the go to site for fanfiction and has a better layout and the comment section is easier to make sense of. If you'd ever consider it, I'd be able to send you an AO3 invitation to create an account.
mabel chapter 104 . 10/26/2016
god this is so good! the best sybil/tom fic, by /far/. the historical accuracy, the writing style, the ocs, the entire plot of ireland? was so well done and honestly your characterizations are so good... very realistic. sybil was still selfish and english and as much as she tries to adapt to a middle class dubliner life she is still from an aristocratic background and you made it believable and loveable and i appreciated that she was. more than just a wife because for all sybil fans say about her feminism, i think too often she becomes "tom's wife" with some idealistic fantasy of being a doctor to justify that she isn't written very well. this sybil was very true to life, as was tom, whom you could completely envision his struggle, his difficulty with loving sybil but having to... introduce her to the real world and temper her expectations? always wanting to provide the best for her but never being enough in robert's eyes? and ROBERT, oh my god robert. honestly, although he strays from his canon characterization, it's believable. the story could not have worked if he wasn't so bent against sybil's independence and marriage to tom and it's realistic because as much as the show makes him and the family sympathetic characters... he's a pompous aristocrat who believes he's better than his servants inherently. he hardly supported the vote for women, do you really think he would so easily relinquish his idea of a good life for sybil (i.e. his control over her life) because she is happy? he would exile her almost, would be against her, and would conspire against her autonomy for what he feels like is better for her, because she deserves things done proper (aka she must follow rigidly his expectations for her life). i think this is one of the most realistic portrayals of him in sybil/tom fic and i appreciate that you didnt shy away from portraying him this way. i also loved mrs. branson's relationship with sybil. she would not come around easy to her son marrying his employers daughter, a /lady/, while also making little to nothing in comparison to what she is used to! but she still warms to sybil and their tension was exactly as it should be. this is getting long so i'll shut up but also edith's "rebellion" was soooo well put;! tldr i loved this fic and i worship you as an author becausr this is a fucking novel. a masterpiece.
Guest chapter 104 . 9/9/2016
What a wonderful, perfect story this is! I have to second the previous review: your OC's feel so real, they become canon in my head, as does the whole story! I was terrible disappointed when Fellowes left us in the dark about their time in Ireland, it felt lazy and such a wasted opportunity. You fill in all the empty potholes and so much more - you add new dimensions to S & B, make their love more believable. Besides that, your writing is poetic and lovely. I really do hope you'll update and finish their tale. Their plan to leave England is quite the cliffhanger. It would be such a shame to see this story, the Best SB fanfic there is, go unfinished. Please please do continue!
Fortuitous-occurencess chapter 104 . 9/5/2016
I absolutely adore this story - your characterisation of Tom and Sybil is brilliant as well, as your writing style, and this is one of the few fanfics in which I love the new characters you have introduced as much as those from the actual show (genuinely quite gutted some of them aren't featured in canon!. Can't wait for the next update!
Eliza chapter 83 . 8/29/2016
I love that you've addressed Tom's development too! So often people forget about him and just focus on how Sybil changed during the five years. I especially like how you've focused on Tom's seemingly constant ability to condemn himself to isolation during those early seasons. I've never really picked up on that and I think your amazing writing and thoughts have added so much depth to his character - if only you had been one of the writers on the show ! This story has truly had me hooked and I've been reading it none stop for two days now!
Eliza chapter 11 . 8/28/2016
Honestly. I don't know if this story is long ended, but I just wanted to say this chapter is the best sybil/tom piece of writing I've ever read (and ive read a lot!). I completely agree about the lazy writing of Tom in the show during these episodes and I honestly believe if this chapter - this amazing scene you've written - had been included in the show it would have been a million times better and would have explained and added so much depth. You're such a talented writer ...truly amazing. If you ever write a tv show or publish a novel please let us know and I will happily watch/read it!
Guest chapter 104 . 7/22/2016
You are going to finish this wonderful story aren't you?
eliphya chapter 1 . 7/11/2016
I don't think I have the skills to describe how much I am in love this piece of writing. It's definitely one of the best fanfictions I've come across in my life as a busy reader.

Your writing style and wording are amazing. I have to admit it did take some time to get used to because it is different than every I have read until now but after a while, one starts to appreciate your way of words. And there were times where I just stopped reading and thought how wonderful a certain sentence or expression was.
The manner in which you describe a character's emotions are fantastic. Together with the analogies you use to make us understand what is going on in the character you have a way to make them feel like real people. An actual existing person.

The amount of time you spent on the side characters is just right. Enough for us to have a perception of their personalities but not too much to lose the focus of the main pairing.

I have to say that I absolutely love this time shifting thing you do. Where we have scenes of the past and the future mixed together in chapters. I really couldn't stop reading because I wanted to know what happened that certain things had turned certain ways in the future. Here I also have to add that it took me time to get used to it but I absolutely love this style now. And I'm excited to see what's going to happen now that the present is slowly catching up to the future.

There is no need for me to say that I adore your characterization of Tom and Sybil. The way they sometimes just erupt into political discussions is what I live for and how the scene can switch so naturally from a political mood into a romantic one. They love each other so much and every chapter manages to show that in different ways.
But not just as a pair, you also did an awesome job on them individually. Tom in service was exactly how I imagined him to be, a little lonely and secluded from the others because the person he truly wanted to have all his conversations with was upstairs. Her being the reason why he stayed at that place anyway.

To Sybil characterization, I have to say that she seems more selfish that she does in other fics. She is still the lovely person she has always been but the way she confronted her family, not caring with the sole purpose of her own needs, was remarkably different than I had read in other fics. Which was wonderful. No one can be a saint and Sybil also isn't perfect. And to be honest, I really wanted her to be like that, a little selfish because every person/woman should be at least a little to achieve that in life what one truly desires. And even when I understood where Edith came from when she scolded her the night before the wedding for being insensitive concerning their father, I really couldn't fault Sybil.

Especially because of the way Robert acts after Sybil has left the house. Gosh, I don't think I have ever disliked Robert as much as I have in this fic. He has never been a favorite character of mine and I absolutely understand why Sybil left like that. Here he is so incredibly irritating and I really despite the way thinks about Sybil, Tom and the world.
He isn't that aggravating and bad in canon I think but him acting the way he does fit too perfectly into the context of the story to make it any different. If he wasn't as awful the story would miss something. Because we can picture him as one of the egoistic British people. The way he acts as if he knew everything and everyone when in truth he is the character who is the most ignorant in every aspect really. We have a face for the foes or at least a part of the face. Maybe that's just the way I feel about it.

Now to my favorite thing about this story: the historical accuracy. Just the general history backstory is so amazingly done. Back at Downton it was just something Tom's occasional streams of consciousness reminded us of. We knew there was a problem in Ireland but we didn't really understand until Tom and Sybil moved there. We learned about this country together with Sybil and you have done that so well, the way we discover truths of the country bit by bit and how bad the state is the country is in. The historic events move from the background to the foreground very smoothly.
It feels real and authentic as if there had really been a Tom Branson and Sybil Crawley out there who had to face the problems these two are facing. And with every chapter, I really start to despite the British. And understand so much more why the Irish are angry and have the right to be so.

I really am so excited to read the next chapter. I have no idea what's going to happen because you always build in some interesting twist or revelation, and I'm so looking forward to seeing what's coming next.
Will they really be able to run away from Downton? Has Robert completely lost his mind in his fury and what is he hiding exactly? What the hell is going on with Liam?
eliphya chapter 104 . 7/11/2016

He isn't that aggravating and bad in canon I think but him acting the way he does fit too perfectly into the context of the story to make it any different. If he wasn't as awful the story would miss something. Because we can picture him as one of the egoistic British people. We have a face for the foes or at least a part of the face. Maybe that's just the way I feel about it.

Now to my favorite thing about this story: the historical accuracy. Just the general history backstory is so amazingly done. Back at Downton it was just something Tom's occasional streams of consciousness reminded us of. We knew there was a problem in Ireland but we didn't really understand until Tom and Sybil moved there. We learned about this country together with Sybil and you have done that so well, the way we discover truths of the country bit by bit and how bad the state is it is in.
shana.rose chapter 104 . 6/7/2016
Ack! So I just realized that I forgot to leave a review when I read this one! I loved the constraint of sweet and bitter memories. Sybil telling Tom they are having a baby vs Tom at Downton waiting for her to arrive worried sick and feeling awful. Not to mention Liam promising to help with the baby if Tom is dead. As always beautifully done.
Guest chapter 104 . 6/7/2016
This story, I can't even. Love it so much.
Guest chapter 104 . 5/30/2016
Thanks for the update. I just love this story and wish it would never end. (Sigh)
finlee chapter 104 . 5/29/2016
I have such love for this story! Thanks for sharing!
Guest chapter 104 . 5/28/2016
Wow ! Just. Wow
Iove your stroy so much
Maire Eire chapter 104 . 5/28/2016
Scary stuff - and so well written. You have really captured the spirit of those times in the way no other Downton fanfic writer has. So Liam loves Sybil - I always thought so. Think that Sybil was a trifle brutal though in her rejection. Just ADORE (underline 100 times) this story and cannot wait for an update. Guess Liam won't survive the troubles. Few did.
1,711 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »