Reviews for The Pelican's Bequest
Guest chapter 6 . 4/20/2014
This is just an incredible work of fiction... I've stayed up all night, for three nights in a row to read this... It's just amazing! By far, one of the best HP stories I've ever read!

And definitely, the best SSHP one!
Arithmancy Master chapter 12 . 6/9/2013
Like the idea of letter openers pretending to be daggers though, of course, not the way they were used.
Arithmancy Master chapter 11 . 6/9/2013
I speak (or write) of Lily and, as if by magic, she appears.
Certainly seems a complex relationship/ friendship. Hopefully it will last, in spite of their inability to touch. Lily seems to have a huge heart, likely to become a healer rather than an auror.
Arithmancy Master chapter 10 . 6/9/2013
At first I found it a bit confusing, as much was written in the present tense, but Severus' age changed from 8/9 at one point to around 6, and I couldn't readily determine which were flashbacks or whether the whole thing was a flashback from an adult Snape, once he had all the answers.

Nevertheless I was drawn into the story.

It seems that the adults (Dumbledore, the nurse and the librarian, so presumably all other staff too) knew about the condition and what was likely to happen but did not give Snape any information. Does that should likely? Oh yes, exactly the same as Dumbledore's unwillingness to provide useful and relevant, some might say essential, information to Harry.

I was again confused by the sudden interest that James showed in Snape. Slightly less surprised by Sirius, as I was starting to work things out. Still not exactly sure what the blue tinge was, maybe an outward sign of the absorption of magic?

Wonder if there will be any long term repercussions from the relationship between James and Severus. James might harbour animosity or embarrassment, feeling that he was tricked, but Severus currently still feels a great deal of affection for him. This may or may not remain constant. It seems that Lily does not currently figure in the story so I also wonder whether she will have a role, as this could affect how Snape views Harry initially.

It will be interesting to see what else changes compared to canon, whether Snape will become a Death Eater and then spy and, if so, what his motivation will be. Mayne the link with James, rather than Lily? Whether Voldemort will have a role at all and, if so, will there be any link to Harry. Whether Harry will have the same affliction as Snape or whether, as with the Imperious curse, he will have the ability to overcome it.

Or maybe in the meantime Snape will develop some sort of cure/ masking agent to allow permanent or temporary reprieve from the effects.

Looking forward to reading more.
BC chapter 71 . 1/29/2013
This was quite difficult to read, but it did strum the heart-strings, and it definitely left an impression. It made me a little sad to see self-hatred keep winning over love; then again, I suppose that sometimes art does imitate life. The quality of your writing is indisputable.
Thanks for the story.
Brynn
Guest chapter 71 . 11/19/2012
Oh my goodness I am going to be in mourning now that this incredible story is over. I have never read anything like this in published literature, much less fanfiction. The universe you have created is the perfect mix of the historically familiar and the divinely unusual, and your characters!

It took me weeks to complete this book, since it is a book, and I kind of want to weep. What a lovely experience, thank you so much.
swarfinator chapter 71 . 11/3/2012
I appreciated the integration of historical alchemical theory with JK Rowling's fictional magic. It confers a richness of depth and background that we may assume would underlie the Harry Potter world's magic. An elegant effort at an alternate universe.
jazzy2may chapter 71 . 10/13/2012
a good end. :D
Vivid Murk chapter 70 . 5/6/2012
That was so infinitely, painfully, beautiful. Severus's return to the ocean...

Going back to a prev. chapter: I think I saw an allusion from the movie Perfume in here - the potion that made a man so desirable he was devoured.

But again - this was absolutely incredible. Thank you sincerely for sharing the depths of this world with us. Please, please write again!
Vivid Murk chapter 64 . 5/6/2012
I strongly dislike the disturbing, grotesque elements of this story - the ease with which a mind is warped to do atrocious acts and the sexual violence just seems gratuitous; you can write about horror without going to such extremes.

However, there are beautiful moments that keep me reading. Dumbledore's magic is so incredibly described, and his dying moments so breathtakingly soulful. You confuse me - so many horrid moments, but so many altering, lovely ones too. This blew me away:

"His eyes are drinking in something about my form, and his hand touches my forehead with a hand that feels like pure light. "I wanted to speak to this True Face of yours before I left, to make sure the message got through—you've been one of the brightest points in my city of light."

And his face becomes like a constellation, his arms hold me like the arc of the skies, and I am being shaken awake by Harry."

Also, the bird/myth humor is delightful. Severus has such a wonderful sense of humor.
Vivid Murk chapter 30 . 3/11/2012
Hahaha, it was hilarious to see Dumbly get flustered under veritaserum. And oh, Lessmore! I love her so - and the day after? Whyyyyyy?
Vivid Murk chapter 29 . 3/11/2012
Ah. Full circle. Very cool, what you did with the Mantis Moths. I love the Inferno allusion. I am so utterly disturbed by Voldemort's manipulation. There better be a deliriously happy ending to reward me for all the trauma I've experienced vicariously through Severus.
Vivid Murk chapter 25 . 3/11/2012
It's so sad that Hogwarts rejects Severus; I like to think the castle would sense the goodness in him. Why did we never get to see Sev's reaction to the death of the Potters? I'd think he'd have a strong reaction to Voldemort killing them! I find it humorous that Severus constantly must ask others about his tongue.
Vivid Murk chapter 24 . 3/11/2012
I love Sev's relationship with Dumbledore, and I'm so glad he's working things out with Harry. it disturbs me to no end that he still sees his Aunt Adele in the mirror. If he gets killed by Nagini in the end, I'm going to be pissed.
Vivid Murk chapter 23 . 3/11/2012
"What kind of frivolous monster needs to wear kid gloves while he eats people?"

This quote caught my eye for some reason. Maybe because I find it somehow humorous despite the utter horror behind it. Severus's character keeps me going through the many atrocities that keep hitting him. It is SO unfair that Voldemort can just Mark him even though he's unwilling. Meh...
60 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »