Reviews for Modern Day I & II
tbiris chapter 59 . 8/8/2013
Is this... could it possibly be... AN UPDATE.
Not sure what the comment about chapter 28 is about but I evidently need to reread everything (I was thinking about it recently). I think the last thing I remember was one of the demons wanting to rip Filia's wings away so to speak.

It's good to have you back and I'm glad that you're doing a bit better.
Lady Kaliska chapter 59 . 7/17/2013
First, I must apologize for the delay in the review. I had to go back and reread some things to remember where and how this story was going. That said, I enjoyed reading this small chapter. Xellos is definitely up and down in his emotions ever since he visited the Underworld. (I mean he was beforehand, but that little adventure seemed to magnify it thrice fold) With everything that's happened, I find it interesting that LON decides to show up. Xellos has so much to work through on a deeper, personal level. Filia just has no idea. In this far in the game, I'm really glad you didn't have them sleep together yet, because that would have been a whole other ball of anxiety and kami knows what to unthread and write about. Val, would not have been able to keep his patience after all that.
swartzvald chapter 28 . 7/7/2013
I thought saffron was red.
Sharon chapter 59 . 7/4/2013
No doubt, I'll have to go back and reread from the very beginning again before I can nudge past 28 again. I'm certain that I'm cheating at this very moment. I have no right to skip forward just because I'm interested in what this chapter has to say after a five year delay, but the temptation to do so was too great. If anything, it compels and motivates me even more to go back and reread so I can keep my head from spinning right off my shoulders.

Violent Xellos is exciting for me and I don't understand why. I think in that way your story is rather unique. There's so much of his soft and gentler nature at the beginning, that when he kinks from the inside like this, when his passionate rage spikes, it's... intoxicating, it's amazing, it's a titillating climax to get excited about. It's a beautiful contrast, and a large difference between what people seem to expect from a fanfiction Xellos-cocky and mean (with an extra side of asshole), or some other variation that lacks dynamic.

Of course, I don't even know why he's this upset to begin with! Yes, yes, must go back and read at some point when I have the time.

Your writing always impresses me. I'm in awe about how you're able to write so little and paint so much imagery with well picked words.
Mwafwa chapter 59 . 7/3/2013
:D YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! Welcome Back! 3333333333
LOVED the interlude with Martina... xD Even SHE can piss Death off...
And-And...! *gasps* LON-sama made an appearance?! :OOOOOO What will happen to our dear Xellos now?! :OO Oh, and Filia, too... xP
Once again, WELCOME BACK! GREAT chapter, as always! _
Kim chapter 59 . 7/3/2013
OMG! YOU ARE BACK! Thanks God! I really miss this fic! *teary eyes*
Serafin chapter 59 . 7/3/2013
Oh HEAVENS!
One of my favourite Stories gets an update!
And it confuses me so much I have to reread all 58 chapters before this one!
...Get me popcorn, wine and good music, here I go B)

No really, its intrigueing, interesting, and I am really really happy you have decided to continue it!
Sharon chapter 27 . 7/19/2012
I can't help but noting that as I right this review, there's an advertisement that has allowed, slotted right beneath the review box. It's a advertisement for cosplay, and there's a cute little pre-teen looking Chii sucking her fingers at me.

Stay classy, .

Back to reviewing your story!

I find it interesting that Xellos could eventually, like Iyzeka (and most other beings for that matter), feed off positive emotions rather than negative. I don't imagine that'll stop him for one second in trying to rouse Filia's temper from time to time.

I'm also rather interested in how Xellos explained the birds and the beeds, and just much an avid listener Valgaav was for that conversation. LOL.
Sharon chapter 26 . 7/19/2012
Xellos has become so overtly sensitive to her, now, except it's in a weird, twisted opposite way. I mean it's been a pattern since the beginning of the story, but now it's like if she even so much as frowns he's analyzing it and finding himself somehow at fault for it. As opposed to Filia's hyper-sensitivity to Xellos unintentionally humiliating her.

It's really self-flagellating and humorous in a sad way. They're both so constantly worried, to the point that Filia has become physically fatigued by it; it's a constant swing from up, down, up, down. There is sooo much bi-polar go'n up in this joint. :P

Another good chapter. I especially enjoyed the mental image of Xellos knocking on each door with his closed eyes and his index finger pointed up to start his request for a towel.
Sharon chapter 25 . 7/19/2012
I laughed at the beginning of this chapter. She complains about her breasts being to small and her legs to thin, then she comes to the conclusion that she still needs to lose weight.

I've never seen the movie Sleepy Hollow, myself. I haven't seen most rated R movies that were released before I hit age 20.

I haven't commented on it yet but Kander's desire to see emotions and to have them directed at him are rather touching. It's neat that there is a contrast between the way that dragons, humans and monsters feel. That while dragons tend to feel too much at one time and have trouble controlling it, a monster's would be identifying feelings, understanding them, and having enough security to show them despite a seeming social standard.
Sharon chapter 24 . 7/18/2012
I'm pleased that Filia has stopped out-right blaming Xellos for each of her own 'mistakes' of dropping the ye olde friendship barrier, and that she fully accepts the part of the responsibility. Another character growth badge for her!

There is a typo in this one, I believe. I've come to realize that your alteration of the word Egypt is intentional; this one, I don't think it is:

—Magic, of course. Mistress Zelas knows more about the stone than I. When I spoke with her, she told me that it was no coincidence that we found the first fragment in the highly magical camber of the Ejyptian ruins. We'll find it in an area with great magical power, because the currents and eddies of time draw the fragments to sites of power.—

It should be highly magical chamber, rather than camber, I believe.
Sharon chapter 23 . 7/18/2012
Okay, maybe this will be the last one. I'm starting to become a zombie for sleep!

The highlight of the 'lime' scene, for me, was Filia forcing her tongue into the kiss. That small abandonment of self-righteousness and being in a purely responsive state is the tip of the iceberg.

I'm even more amused that Valgaav was able to feel it keenly himself.

Admittedly I've started studying how you've worded these sentences. The writing style is really doing it for me. I know this doesn't mean much for me; hell, I think Harry Potter has a absolutely wonderful word style. But it is a huge selling factor for me and I really enjoy this story just on a learning basis for that alone.

Valgaav is becoming a more likable character for me. He admittedly was not a favorite of mine at the beginning. Perhaps because I felt his presence and snide jeers toward Fil / Xel's relationship was interrupting what I really wanted to see written.

Of course, what I *really* want to see written is not always the most interesting thing and I'm very glad I don't have my way all the time, because then I would be very bored.

Anywho, as I was saying I really appreciate his development and your dedication to him, and his chance to show his insecurity. They showed a ... emotional scene, he and Xellos, that I don't think most fathers and sons can ever achieve in their time together in real life, because of normal convention and how men are brought up and raised.

And it comes attached with another small life lesson! True family members are the people who are constantly there for you and love you unconditionally, no matter the blood ties or lack thereof. And there's more I could say to this but it's probably not appropriate for a public review, but I think for a lot of people their true family members are a lot better for them than their own blood relatives.
Sharon chapter 22 . 7/18/2012
Sooo... Maybe I lied about 'stopping there' on the last chapter.

SORRY.

I've said this twice before but this chapter really stood out for certain word uses. It's so much more different than your first chapter, and it feels as though the dialect, the imagery and a slight touch of poetic description has all matured with the plot, more complex as the characters are drawn deeper in.

I have to say that all of ... -this-, *makes a hand gesture toward Xellos's private conversation with Filia,* was pretty hot on its very own. Not in the same way that Xellos went McSlutty (I say this very lovingly) on Kirelle, but more of an arousing hotness rather than mind bending. Which is funny because I haven't -really- seen him in this light. As in, it was previously impossible for me to imagine Xellos being sexy-period. He's just not my body type.

So that was a unique experience, being coaxed into seeing him that way.

Filia's desire to be protected is terribly sweet. It's more than just getting over the fact that he's a monster, though I think she's already left that speed bump in the distance. It's more about wanting to trust someone else with your existence. And while she may not be completely ready to give it up in a unromanced state, or when she is not physically with him, the fact that she is compelled to give up that small barrier is very clear sign of character development.

Especially in her case, because the 'last time' she trusted an organization to protect her and her interests (keeping world peace in a peaceful manner), her notions, and her ideals for what she thought she was representing ended up betraying her. I think you give a pretty big chunk of dependency to your religion when you sign on as a full time priestess-because they become your providers in exchange for you accepting their authority and the work they give you.

Annnd I'm rambling.
Sharon chapter 21 . 7/18/2012
Forgive me if I seem a little vague here, but I'm sure you'll understand why given the topic of this chapter. With 'Mommy!' and Xellos's conversation.

I feel like your characters have spoken for you at many different points. Each of them has voiced a problem within your life at one point or another, and I think that is the primary reason why this story is so special; it relates to people on deep, personal levels.

You may not be the only dragon left on Earth, but you've still felt just as miserable, lonely, and isolated as one. I think you've also often felt that God is far too hard on you, that he has tasked you with a burden, and that bad things never stop happening. It is always one thing directly after another, and there are small reprieves where your significant other is there and able to help you make grip with reality, but otherwise it is terribly -unfair-.

And maybe it's a total 'duh' - I'm not sure, I'll have to read reviews from other reviewers in this chapter - but Mom's responses seem to echo the responses you've received from your own 'mom'. That you are beloved, you are so loved and trusted that you are chosen, and you are needed.

I think everyone needs to feel that, because everyone has at least experienced something like this. It may not be religion related, but I think the context applies to many different situations... which again, is why I feel so many people have stated that your story speaks to them. Because -you're- speaking to them for 'mom', since they may not be able to hear or even pay attention to her right now.

This is probably all I'll get through tonight. I'll have to pick up on the story another time, because I've already spent about five hours reading it.
Sharon chapter 20 . 7/18/2012
I was very entertained about this retelling of King Arthur. Camelot was not always my favorite fairy tale, save for maybe when I was crazy about the book The Mists of Avalon. I'm pretty sure you've read it, but in case you haven't it mostly follows Morgana. I felt so sorry for Arthur in that version, loving Morgana so very, very much but dedicated to being the perfect husband for an unfaithful Gywn, all the while Morgana finding her brother's incestuous feelings repulsive and longing deeply for Lancelot.

*Deep, dramatic sigh.*

I like how she got so terribly upset over not being told about Xellos's arranged marriage some 1000 years ago, especially when before the trip she probably never would have even cared to ask him-and she's offended by him *not* telling? Hee hee.

I like Iyzeka as a character! I guess because of the game we've been playing I thought Iyzeka would have a more comedic role; but she is a very lovely character in this story so far.
788 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »