Reviews for Beloved Monsters
Carottal chapter 21 . 8/22
A little bit sappy end indeed but that's alright. In fact, what I found sappy was Midna's addition. Don't get me wrong, I love her. One of the best female characters in the Zelda licence. But I think you could have brought her into the story more smoothly. It felt a lot like at some point you thought "Oh, I don't want Link to end up alone. Let's get Midna in!" and well, it doesn't completely fit if you see what I mean, it's a bit too obvious. I think I would have preferred for Link to fall for an OC or a very secondary character from OoT. (or even a great fairy) I don't really like cameos that feel forced out. Or on the contrary, I'd have liked Midna's addition before if I was shown more of her since after Ganondorf's defeat. Oh well, all can't be perfect and please everyone, can it?

That being said, I liked this story. It was fun and entertaining. As mentioned in my previous review, it's not as fascinating as Masked Dreams in terms of character depth, it focuses more on the action. However, I loved what you did to Sheik and how he came to accept to become the hero. I loved all the idea behind it, really. And Link was great, as was getting into his mind and trying to undercover what happened to him (I wonder how it must have felt for people who read your explanations in the beginning instead of letting the story unfold. I really struggled with myself not to read it at that time, just because I tend to read the ANs too but I'm glad I didn't. It would have taken part of the fun. And on that matter, I thought that Navi would come back somehow, so yay! I thought Sheik could be the one helping Link get rid of the vengeful Navi, so double yay!).

I loved his struggles to understand what was genuine, to understand what was happening and where the justice was. I loved that even after understanding he wasn't in his right mind, he kept believing in Ganondorf as a father figure. I loved when, all those chapters ago, he drew the parallelism between the Great Tree and Ganondorf. I loved that after all, Ganondorf's influence on him didn't disappear. I loved how not knowing he was the hero must have played into it. Link truly feeling like he was nothing special, how could he explain all that Ganondorf did instead of killing him? And actually, that's one of the sides I'm still unclear with. What prompted Ganondorf to keep Link alive?

I think Link was extremely lucky not to be discovered earlier. Really, really lucky. Mostly during the meetings with the sages. I'm still surprised he wasn't mentioned in the temple of fire. He was seen, the sage had seen him, joey he was here, but someone else came in and he didn't express surprise or worry? At all those meetings, I really wished you'd let us glimpse into those encounters between the sages and
Sheik.
But I loved when Link's nature, as the hero then as Ganondorf's was revealed. That was great. When he betrayed Ganon too.

The fights were very nice and Link didn't disappoint. In the last chapters, he was Badass (loved how he negotiates with Zelda and Co, you see he'll keep people on toe and that it will be hard when they've got to settle for subtle negotiations.)

I wish Link had been a little bit harsher with Zelda. I'm convinced it would have helped solve their resentment if both had said what all that they thought of the other. But well, I liked the tension too... Tough choice that you had there.

Well, I don't have anything else to say, it was fun, entertaining, and it's hard to comment on those. Thank you for this story and the sleepless night it have me. You're a wonderful story creator!
Carottal chapter 11 . 8/22
Hi, Carottal reporting as she's half way through reading a second story from you. Nearly missed the mask because of a very emotional moment in this chapter. Had to take a break and decided to make it useful.

Anyway, so I have two things to say right now. The first is, Navi, the second is just a quick over all impression after reading half of the fic.

I cried. Well, I shed one tear. But from me, it means a lot. I've been waiting for that moment for some time now. Since the beginning, I wondered if Navi was really her, someone else, or more than likely, Link's guilt after remembering her. I liked this last possibility best, and the last few chapters pointed towards this direction. During this heart breaking dialogue, I wondered whether she was talking to Link, Link's mind found a way to protect him, or Sheik was helping. Again, I lingered on the last possibility (making me squeeze with delight at Link calling out Navi's name.) but how would Sheik call Link by his name? It would mean he'd know and I'm not sure he would act the way he did with Link if he did. So was it Navi reaching out to him thanks to the proximity of the temple? Or was it Link? Or had it really been Navi all along? I wonder. But yeah, I also wonder how the next part will feel without her. This Navi was true to the one from the game. Annoyingly intrusive, but maybe Stockholmy loveable. And in this first half, the matter of what was happening in Link's head was one of the most interesting. I still have those Gerudos symbols and the suspense of what will happen next, when the word traitor will be used to qualify Link and by whom. So I'm not worried at all. But I wanted to tell you now, that Navi in this fic was a great idea and I loved her till death. I wonder if she'll come back somehow.

About this fic, I'm liking it, a lot, but for now, I prefer Masked dreams. This one is not finished, so it's too soon to judge and it may really well get this tinge of epicness Masked Dreams didn't have. However, I'll say this. For now (Link getting all his memory and giving his name may change it) this looks a lot more like a story driven by plot than one driven by characters. As such, the characters are good, not shallow at all, but don't feel as deep as in Masked Dreams and I don't think they will ever for a simple reason : they're not as intertwined together here, because Link is more alone. That being said, I think seeing Link interact with present Gerudos could help it. But yeah, I think this is a story of plot, a very good one, that I'm enjoying, a lot, as such.

DawnDayrider chapter 1 . 12/17/2015
I normally read Star Wars fan fics, so I'm having a hard time not reading Link in Luke Skywalkers voice and Ganondorf in Darth Vader's. But yeah. Great fic!
Guest chapter 14 . 11/10/2015
BRUH. A Staldra, with a sword and fire-breath? SIGN ME THE EFF UP. That is a beautiful concept for a monster. I wanna fight it right now holy crap yessss
SayMrrp chapter 21 . 7/27/2015
Wow, thanks for this awesomeness!

The twists... the angst... the epicness... thanks!
DoodlingPlume chapter 21 . 6/13/2014
Wow! This is really amazing! Okay, I admit that I was a bit miffed that Link had given away just like that his title of Hero of Time, but that doesn't mean that this fic isn't amazing, because it IS.
So, thank you for giving the Gerudo screen time, and for making Link a slightly nutty, but still lovable badass!

Kudos!
Time's Quill chapter 21 . 5/23/2014
Squeeee what a great ride! I really liked how you broke tradition and said "destiny is the path we choose to walk" and the Master Sword choosing Sheik because by then he fit more and the allocation of the Triforce pieces and Navi and yaaaay :)
Time's Quill chapter 15 . 5/23/2014
Scarred for life lol
daimee chapter 21 . 4/17/2014
Hi, daimee here... If you remember me XD
Okay, uhm, this may be a bit weird, but I had some free time on my hands today, decided to reread this story and I just felt like leaving another review too, because you know what? It's even better than I remember. As far as I remember, I had never read it in one go before, and reading it as a whole really enhances the experience. The emotions and characters are so strong. I remember liking Navi so much, and thinking their conversations also being funny at times, the way they bickered. Well, this time around I only saw the sheer tragedy; some of their conversations (and of course the flashback to her death) almost moved me to tears. I never noticed before how tragic it is, right in the first chapter: "he finally yelled, spinning on the spot. But there was nobody there. No-one had ever been there, not for six, no, almost seven years now. To the day". Right there it hit me, reminded me, how tragic their relationship had been again.
And again, it's not only a good story - it's a good FANFIC. One of those rare fanfics that aren't the same if they're not set in the corresponding universe. The elements of the game are there, and aren't cheated away; instead, they are given more meaning and given another layer of emotion, by spinning it around like this. The biggest reason Link, Zelda, Sheik and Ganondorf are as interesting as they are, is that we know how they are "supposed to be", in the game. Gandondorf especially. If I didn't know what he was like in the game, Link calling him father and meaning it, wouldn't be as impressive as it is. It is wonderful that he almost isn't a villain, how Link justifies some of his actions, especially by pointing out how the Gerudo no longer suffer as much as they did, thanks to him. And the very ending... "I remember". That's really all Link had to say. Just wonderful. The image I get in my head when I read that scene. So good.
Now I'm convinced even more that this is the best fanfic I've read so far. It's not perfect (I think I found a few minor errors, such as Link referring to Sheik as "Sheik" before actually knowing that name) but the story and characters are very strong and you've used the original source material extremely well. I'm almost jealous. Or well, just leave "almost" out. I'm jealous you could pull this off like that.
So, yeah, I don't know... I just felt like leaving a review again '
Kurai Ummei chapter 21 . 11/10/2013
This story was mind glowingly epic. Thank you for writing it!
Egg Emperor chapter 21 . 9/17/2013
This ... Is quite possibly the most disturbingly delicious , terrifically twisted, and woefully wonderful dark Zelda fic I've ever had the pleasure of reading. I could go on and on and on about you twists and turns but I would be writing a review that would be a "fic" in it's own right. It's simply amazing; as a man ( author) who prides himself in twisting heroes into villains I take my hat of to you sir or madam and I salute you and your work.
-Johannes The Egg Emperor
Hylia'grace chapter 21 . 9/11/2013
Whoa that was amazing! I didnt really think navi was just in his head, obviously she would stay with him even if it was in spirit. This was fantastically written. I have to say ive always had sympathy for the gerudo tribe but this just made me feel for them more. I definitely prefer it to the usual 'ocarina of time rewritten' stories. Also sheik is my favourite character, as himself not Zelda and I really cant stand zelda but it makes sense as they could really balance each other out. Couldnt stand midna though haha :) thank you for sharing your story :)
Hylia'grace chapter 15 . 9/10/2013
Poor link! Never thought id miss navi.. But that was horrific and heartbreaking.. Love it so far though!
Hylia'grace chapter 9 . 9/10/2013
Awh I like the way this turned out, I prefer the update on links past more than just a regular boss fight thats been rewritten by tonnes of people. His relationship with his sister reminds me a lot of my own. Beautifully written
Hylia'grace chapter 7 . 9/10/2013
Love the story so far! But just a slight correction, 'thrown' is actually 'throne' other than that everything else is brilliant