Reviews for Standing Outside the Fire
Blue Larkspur chapter 1 . 9/2/2012
I liked your story! If only they'd been able to have this conversation on the show.I liked how you had it slowly build up, and how they both had expectations for how the conversation would go. They try so hard to hide their feelings that they only make it harder for each other to try to stop hiding. Thanks for sharing your story.
Amilyn chapter 1 . 6/21/2012
This passage is SO nicely structured...the repeated sentence structure, then the one sentence alone for emphasis...perfect:

"It wasn't that he needed to find her to talk to her about something specific, exactly, as much as he needed to tell her he was happy she was okay. He needed to see that she was in the office and far removed from the danger of this day.

"He needed to confirm was that he was the only having Somalia flashbacks today."

I love that.

"The fact that her current boyfriend brought out the conformist in her, that CI-Ray was somehow unconciously encouraging her to leave that crucial part of herself in the dust"

This is a particularly interesting and apt observation. I can never say she doesn't look good...but...I *love* her curly hair and even though she's always gorgeous, I am always sad when she's straightening it.

"only gave Tony one more reason to dislike the guy.

"On top of all the other completely valid reasons."

Oh, yes.

And this? This is EXACTLY the problem: "Like how calm the man had seemed while Ziva was missing and Tony turned over every figurative rock to find the other man's girlfriend." Because TONY was freaking. *I* was freaking. Ray was like, "La la la." Ass.

I love EVERY TIME someone points out that Ray's promise, like the box, is an EMPTY promise.

This is a nice way to fold in what she has said to Dr. Kate's-sister and what she feels is lacking with Ray: "I wished for permanence. Something of my own that cannot be taken by my Father as so many things have been." And the way that Eli has taken away everything that's ever been hers-up to and including her family and homeland-is nicely used here.

I like the phrasing of (if not the sentiment of) "I am not *mine* to give away" and I really like that, with their "first honest kiss" she feels, finally "special, cherished...home." She deserves that, and I believe Tony would give it to her...and she to him. Nicely done.
jae-vous chapter 1 . 5/29/2012
just stumbled onto this through tumblr. and holy cow, my heart... this was beautiful. so glad i found this.
Jateer chapter 1 . 4/23/2012
Weeell written! Liked it :)
JustTellHer chapter 1 . 1/17/2012
This was nicely done! I absolutely loved the line "The longer I stared at the empty box, the more his 'promise' made me want to run to you. Because I am not mine to give away." So true about Tony and Ziva's relationship! Simply a lovely story. :) Thanks for sharing!
Robern chapter 1 . 1/15/2012
this was very good, it would be nice for it to continue.
ICarryYourHeartInMyHeart chapter 1 . 1/11/2012
Pretty please continue it!
KaiaBlackrock chapter 1 . 1/10/2012
Loved it, honestly. A continuation would be cool, but I agree that it's kind of perfect on its own. If you decide to continue it, maybe make it a separate story that takes place after this one, but leave this as a one-shot? I like where it ended, and I think another chapter might throw that off.
Jennifer Catlin DiNozzo chapter 1 . 1/10/2012