Reviews for The Golden Age
Ghostwriter71 chapter 7 . 4/1/2013
Another wonderful chapter! And I found one thing rather ironic: the bit about storytelling having died out in our world (which, sadly, it has, for the most part). The ironic part was when you wrote that she got her stories from books...depressing thought, but that too is dying out in our world. :(
Ghostwriter71 chapter 6 . 4/1/2013
Hmmm...do you think (and this is NOT a criticism!) that Narnian animals would use our world's swear words?
Ghostwriter71 chapter 5 . 4/1/2013
Great chapter! No stickiness that I can see...you handled it brilliantly. Besides, if we worry about offending someone, we'll never accomplish anything, because there will ALWAYS be SOMEONE who is "offended". It's life.

By the way-I have a degree in Bible/Theology...so I know of what I speak when I say you handled it near perfectly. :D
Ghostwriter71 chapter 2 . 3/30/2013
This story was recommended to me by an quincentenary, who said if I wanted to read "well written Narnia fanfictions" I should check your story out. And so far, let me just say she's absolutely correct. This story is AWESOME so far! :D Just the right touch of humor and sarcasm...no grammatical or spelling mistakes (at least none I could see, which means no glaring ones that, as is so often tech case, cause me to grind my teeth), in short-wonderful!
Rth and Starbrow chapter 8 . 3/26/2013
Dear Madame:

Rth respectfully requests Peter and Marcie engage in sexy banter and simmering UST. Starbrow respectfully requests sensual visuals.

With warm regards for your continuing health and creativity,

Your humble, eager and not very patient servants,

Rth and Starbrow
Guest chapter 8 . 3/26/2013
I am really enjoying this story. update soon
rthstewart chapter 8 . 3/26/2013
I adore Marcie so much. I love the weary way they deal with the Princess. Marcie is so matter of fact and careful, and so competent, it does my heart good to see her fitting in so well. Obviously, I still want her and Peter to get snuggly during the long cold Narnia winter but you are going to make me wait for that, aren't you? Edmund's disclosures and disclaimers are hilarious. IT'S NOT OUR FAULT. Oh Ed.

I love her reflections on how/why labels are unnecessary because the Narnians can just see things she cannot. So what was up with Sotiris? I had the feeling there was something going on with the princess that maybe he was too discreet to say? Are you hinting that Peter doesn't actually hate Violeta?

Also, with the embroidered hankies, was I reading correctly that Violeta was going to be embroidering Susan's hankies and that Susan was hoping to rope someone in to help?

The meal scene was really nice btw because it does show how well they are all getting on, with a more gentle ribbing. Marcie is settling in and happy it seems, or at least content.

Thanks so much for updating. More please.
Heliopause chapter 8 . 3/26/2013
Oh it is so good (can we do italics here? I think we can't) SO good to be back in this story! I began all over again right from the beginning, to get the whole sweep of things again, and ... my! (italics!) but you write well! and intelligently and engagingly and seriously and hilariously and so-much-more-than-entertainingly.

Marcie is a wonderful character, (and I admire her more than ever after the maths! ) and her interactions with everybody (but especially with Aslan and Paulus... no, not especially them... everybody, now I come to think about it) are so real, and so SANE!
And also, a lot of the time, funny! Lots of smiles (the Crows! Edmund's legal clearances! the MULTIPLE social usefulness of handkerchiefs!) But even so (and she is SO admirable in her resolution and lack of self-pity and generosity) it is horribly hard on her- the loneliness, the feeling like an "eh" and worst the "leaden, hot feeling"...this can't go on.
But it IS going on, since summer has well gone. I liked the rolling on of the seasons - and Marcie starting to look forward to something in Narnia, even if it's just the peace of the non-visiting season. And this reader is looking forward to a lot, too... the intriguing Surgeon, "otherwise occupied, as usual" ? and Violeta looks as if she has more to bring to the story, too. And Sotiris? and ALL the Four, but most definitely Peter! I'm really looking forward to it.
Thank you for this update! (Cheers for spring break! :) )
heliopause chapter 5 . 12/11/2012
Second time around - I wanted to read it all right through again, and having to break off to say I think this is TERRIFIC! (I've just got to "you're not stupid, Marcie", but the impulse to say all over again how good I think this is has been building for some time!)

And now finished the chapter again - MY, but it's good! :)
MCH chapter 7 . 12/11/2012
Just read all chapters 1 to 7 and got so caught up I forgot to view. Sorry.

Enjoying the way you have written these chapters. It almost as though Marcie is listening and learning not only the history but the is slowing herself down from a high tech world to a land that has a more natural rhyme a land that is governed more by nature.

Like this and particularly enjoyed the Otters encounter with her. Great fun. Hope the next chapter comes soon. Marcia deserves some fun before she starts the task Aslan has for her.
Ruth chapter 7 . 12/10/2012
Me again. Starbrow and I were discussing this wonderful chapter. Yes, I know, you are taking it nice and slowly and making the story more realistic. Marcie isn't a ninja assassin with a tragic past, sass, and violet eyes. It isn't love at first sight and we're going to take our time getting there.

But we need hope and Marcie needs endorphins. Consistent exercise with companions is clinically proven to relieve the symptoms of mild depression. I am certain that Marcie and Peter exercising together would improve everyone's outlook immensely. They should starting running on the beach! or swimming!

Surely they would benefit from less clothing, exertion, and banter. And we would benefit from the resulting UST and chemistry.
Starbrow chapter 7 . 12/10/2012
This is just going terrifically. I think one of the things I love most about your approach is how practical it is, the way it doesn't forget about the things a modern woman would find strange or challenging. We get to see through Marcie's eyes the little things about medieval life that are terribly inconvenient. I love the dig at patriarchy with side-saddle riding, and how Susan and Lucy acknowledge it as a necessary evil when politics calls for it, but everyday riding is much more efficient and they of course excel at it.

Marcie is such a great character is well. Very likeable because she is so honest with herself and with us. I was cracking up at her internal conversation with Sir Dilly-Dong. Poor thing, she is trying very hard, but it's a lot to take on at once, especially when she came into it with existing issues.

So, we've decided what Marcie needs. Endorphins. Good old-fashioned feel good hormones from exercise and SEX. So here's what we do. She starts running on the beach in the mornings. Peter takes note and starts joining her. He takes off his shirt during the run. Gratuitous Peter chest shots. Their sweat glistens in the sun. They go for a swim to cool off and end up having lots of nookie. Everybody wins! :D
Guest chapter 7 . 12/10/2012
update asap
Heliopause chapter 7 . 12/10/2012
Oh, I want the story about the Star and the Sea Turtle! I really do! and this chapter wasn't depressing at all! It was gently-paced, and allowed us to feel Marcie shifting her perceptions slightly, slightly to deal with this hugely demanding cultural/worldview shift. She's such a strong and admirable character, too, facing something so huge, alone, undaunted, and setting her own limits where she wants them ("Paulus was not—blessedly, fortunately—a hugger, but a hand-patter.", for example :) )

The picture of life in the Cair is very convincing, including the businesslike way the necessary diplomatic/trade etc journeys just keep on going, and I like the glimpses of the Four, especially the view of Lucy on the unofficial trip around Narnia.

As always, you've left me wanting more!
rthstewart chapter 7 . 12/10/2012
Lucy is fabulous. Her horses are very fast and she races all the time and goes about visiting all her friends and drags Marcie with her. Poor Marcie - I have to say through the modern lens, she sounds like she's in deep need of medication and therapy, especially with the fatigue and anxiety. Maybe St John's wort?

Marcie's observations are always so spot on - about the ambassadors and the activity around her, about Frank and Helen, about Lucy and her madcap adventures. Even the stars, and trying to be responsible for herself and not being able to do so and the things like moving from the guest wing to a permanent room. There's so much transition as she learns that she is not leaving, at least not any time soon. Sniff.

There's also a real sense here of things moving on, except for Marcie who remains very fixed in one place and still out of her depth. This is not an easy transition and she's not an anything, yet. This is not a transition that is easy. I hope we see her rouse herself soon because I like Marcie with more of the sass and vinegar.

Most of all, thanks so much for updating. It's so wonderful of you to continue the story!
48 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »