Reviews for The Jackal
thebluninja chapter 1 . 1/30/2013
Wow. This is an amazing story. The writing here does a very good job at invoking the harshness of Victoria's nature. Also, fuck Karras with a rusty spoon, his voice in those damn robots was more than enough reason to kill him. A very excellent fic.
Angelic101 chapter 1 . 12/3/2012
That was brilliant!
I'm always looking forward to read 'Thief' fictions and considering my obsession with Thief, I always get really excited when I see a new one published. Yours was fantastic though. From the excellent use of language and the atmosphere you built, I actually felt the eeriness.
I'm going to check out your other works and I hope you continue with Thief fanfictions, I absolutely adored this.
Good Luck mate!
Driven by Apathy chapter 1 . 7/16/2012
That was extremely impressive, to say the least. I don't think I've ever seen a Thief story that tried to develop a plausible and compelling characterization for Viktoria and succeded so completely. And I use the word 'develop' because that's what you did - you developed a character about whom's true thoughts and motivations very little is known from canon, in spite of her importance in The Metal Age's storyline - we literally know more about what's going on in Karras' head than Viktoria's.

Your interpretation of her both makes sense and makes her interesting. Makes one wonder about how things might have gone if she had survived.
antihero276 chapter 1 . 6/28/2012
I have to say, in a single word: wow.

This story was beautifully written, your characterization of Viktoria and her relationship to Garrett even more so. The idea of him being her crow basically, clawing out Karras's eyes floored me with it's moving depth, among every other thing here. You well implemented Garrett's role in wars, his reluctance to be drawn into the insanity of it all, yet his ultimate unique goodness. It was incredibly interesting to see your depiction of her, of Wood Nymphs, and how they are created, what role they serve in regards to the Woodsy Lord. I myself have been writing a story for some time now heavily involving her and Garrett, and although I have gone a different route, leaving certain aspects about her ambiguous, yet having her ancient as opposed to young, I can see we share a similar thought process in regards to the Wood Nymph's as depicted by Looking Glass. I too like how they were taken from the whole giggly innocent type and reworked into something deadly serious, and although different then human, just as deep and complicated as human beings. I have been doing deep into her characterization myself, and am glad to see another who sought to do this. You have captured lightning in a bottle here, even if few come to this end of ... and I appreciate your work here. Hope to see more Thief out of you fellow Taffer, and again, well done.

-antihero276
the Grim Creeper chapter 1 . 1/24/2012
I hate Viktoria too, but this is amazing. I loved the parts about her past with the pagans, and it makes sense that she would take it a lot more personally than she seemed to in the game with this backstory. I like how everything blends together. Fun to read a piece that has Garrett in it but Garrett isn't the main focus.

Personally I thought Viktoria was using Garrett the whole time but even though I don't get that impression from your Thief stories it still works nicely with this one somehow.