Reviews for The Human Mask
victory over death chapter 43 . 12/20/2022
love this so sweet
it's wonderful that he has enough power to bestow blessed objects that his family can live long and healthy lives that he will be able to keep them as long as possible
victory over death chapter 27 . 12/19/2022
:D
victory over death chapter 26 . 12/19/2022
I do really like it.
Natsume is still Natsume after all isn't he?
finding a way to take the gentle path
victory over death chapter 22 . 12/19/2022
this fic of yours is lovely. I believe you have done well on emulating much of the softness of the original series. I am enjoying these sweet moments you have unearthed.
precios-notes chapter 116 . 12/12/2022
I had read this fic while it was first being published, I remember I would generally see its updates Monday mornings and then read it from my laptop while getting ready to go to school. I would always get so excited to read it. I was too shy to leave comments then, but I wanted to both re-read and leave a comment this time.

Since I have chosen not to leave separate comments in all chapters this one is going to be quite a long one. I’m quite nervous leaving a comment this long to an English teacher, please overlook any mistakes.

I remember loving this while I was reading it the first time and it was just as pleasurable to read this time. Natsume Yuujinchou always has a special place in my heart and this fic is right next to it.

I always loved Natsume's relationship with Fujiwaras and his friends and I think you have done right by them in this fic. It was so nice to read their acceptance of Natsume even when they have not always knew all there is to know and there were secrets between them..

And again with all the spirits, their want for Natsume to always be with them, their protectiveness towards him,… it was all so nice to read.

I liked how you talked about Matoba too, he is sometimes cruel but I don’t think he is evil at all. He is my favorite character after Natsume. I think there have been some developments about his character in manga, I'm not up to date with manga but I am looking forward to reading it.

Onizuka Kiyoshi was a very interesting and likeable OC. I loved his background and the scenes he had with Natsume.

Another thing I loved was all the cultural notes you have given. I have already known some of them so reading them I was "yup", and I didn't know some too and it was always so interesting to read them and learn.

I also loved how you would reference back to things you have established. For example, how you said sprits didn't care for time much if they don't with humans and then we see Sugawara no Michizane knowing and referencing time by human standards, saying things like months. Or how we have seen other god’s servant thinking Natsume was going to eat Taki and Tanuma but little fox seeing same situation and thinking he is holding court with them.

As much as I like Matoba, I think my favorite chapters were 110 and 111. And some of my favorite quotes were these:
•For when there is always time to do things, what need is there to do them at all?
•But what kind of god would I be if I, in caring for the greater, ignore the ones who I care for most?
•"I'm not Reiko, and Reiko didn't have the Fujiwaras as her guardians," Natsume says firmly. "We'll find another way."
•I do not like to ask anyone for help. Though I've since learned to ask, it has never come naturally to me. A life of being a burden has made me hesitant to place anyone else in that position. But often people desire those burdens given to them, for they see it as a sign of connection—between friends, families, complete strangers. After all, why ask someone you cannot count on? It has been the hardest lesson for me to learn. Sometimes, burdening someone is the ultimate sign of trust.
•It is terrifying to realize that the stronger I became, the weaker other parts of me become.
•In my effort to be grateful, I had perhaps sent the families a different message: that I couldn't imagine that anyone would want me. That I wasn't anyone of value. And so I became something that could be given away—turned from family, to guest, to stranger—to thing
•Better to lie and be considered truthful, than to tell the truth and be called a liar.
•We often overlook the little ones, the weak, the helpless. Those who rule often assume that their lives are worth as little as their power.
•I am used to misunderstandings. My life has taught me to accept them, for I had little power to change people's minds. It is a lesson that has taken a lifetime to learn, but now, I fear, may take just as long to unlearn. It is easy to accept the hurt, to tell yourself that nothing can be done. But that is the thinking of a child. And now I no longer have that luxury.
•If we had thought to share our thoughts with one another, how much sooner would our problems have been solved? If I had reached out when I was having difficulties, would I still be struggling now? How many times have I endured, alone, thinking that my problems were unique? Only now am I starting to realize that perhaps, I might never have needed to be alone.
•As if, because they cannot see, they have convinced themselves that what they imagine has become truth. That only they are the final judge of what is right.
•Sometimes it is hard to imagine that there is another life beyond our own. Trapped as we are in our own troubles, we see but a fraction of the world. It is hard to pull ourselves from that, to realize that there are other paths. To see that even as one life ends, another begins.
•Even now, I see it as kindness—kindness from those who had so little to give, and yet gave it anyway. For me, who now has so much, it can only mean that there is almost nothing I cannot give. Not for the ones who have given me this life. A life that is now so precious, I cannot imagine any other.

Chapter 116 with Nyanko-sensei and Natsume and their new promise was a very good place to be left, but if you someday decide you comeback to this story it would be my pleasure to read more of it.

I hope you are happy and healthy, thank you very much for sharing this with us. Best of luck on your adulting.
kyothefallenkit chapter 116 . 11/12/2022
I love reading this story! I would love for more crossover fun tidbits, but it's still fun rereading every now and again x3
Arwen Amorita chapter 116 . 4/29/2022
I just wanted to pop in and say, this is still my favorite Natsume Yuujinchou fanfic, and every time I come back to reread it is a delight. (ᴗ)
WellIWannaDie2 chapter 116 . 3/16/2022
Considering this is the last chapter, it's quiet fitting.
WellIWannaDie2 chapter 116 . 3/16/2022
Absolutely lovely read.

I binged this jn 2-3 days, and I'm finally done! And it was a ride, this is one of my first experiences in this fandom and I'm very happy it is.

This fic may not have been updated for a long while but if you do see this, you have given me and many people precious memories in your writing.

Thank you for writing.
RedroseNYAN chapter 116 . 3/5/2022
Thank you so much for this drabble series! I come back and reread it often. So much thought and work was put into it. It really feels like it came straight out of the original show. I hope you continue it some day, though even if you don’t, I’m grateful for what you’ve written.
Killua Zoldyck chapter 82 . 10/15/2021
It’s been more than five years since you updated, but I love coming back and reading these vignettes. Also, my guilty pleasure is reading every chapter Onizuka shows up in because I love him. This is the last chapter he shows up in according to my notes, so I wanted to let you know even if you never see this. Thanks for writing this fic!
Terra.L chapter 116 . 10/2/2021
This is beautiful. I spent my whole Saturday reading the entire piece. Do you post on Ao3 by any chance? I feel the need to download this book and keep it forever in my library.

P.s. Hope you found the teaching life suitable. It's always a pleasure to hear of another joining the fraternity - lack of work life balance aside.
Secretly a wuss chapter 116 . 8/10/2021
every few years I come back to this fic, I think its one of my favourite pieces of literature.
barshanabllove chapter 51 . 8/7/2021
Uh I kinda don't understand the message tht natsume mention
Like the last line is confusing to me
lannizhou12 chapter 116 . 7/8/2021
I read this story a few years ago, and I love how you have conveyed a similar sense of bitter sweetness that is characteristic of Natsume Yuujinchou, and am aware you have had a tendency to go on hiatus for long periods of time toward the end of this fic. However, considering that it has been a number of years since your last update to any of your fics on this website, I wanted to ask if you are well? No offense, but also are you still alive, what with the pandemic and all?
4,209 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »