Reviews for Jade: My Father's Son
ladytornado1880 chapter 1 . 7/9
sad story but beautifully written
konarciq chapter 1 . 1/8/2016
I've read part 1 and 2 of this earlier this week, and I confess I'm still not sure what to make of it. I know you as the author of some of the absolute most amazing NWZ stories, like Amor Fati, The Man from Spain and Angustia del Amante, with such magnificent story-telling and such intricate and balanced psychological development of our beloved characters that they still keep me captured after many dozens of rereads.
Yet what I found here was almost like a story you had written years before you gave us those masterpieces I mentioned above. Both the story-telling and characterization are highly promising, but somehow, they don't quite reach the level I got used to when reading something from your hand. The plot, too, is much more down the well-trodden path than what I've seen from you previously.

That doesn't say I didn't enjoy anything of it. I spent some interesting hours reading it all, but somehow, it didn't capture me as well as those other stories did. Partly this may be due to the addition of Jade, I confess. I'm generally not very fond of added females to a cast, and to be honest, I really believe the story would be better without her. She's no real Mary Sue, but what she adds to the plot is actually detracting from the far more interesting developments with the canon characters. (Maybe save for that scene when Felipe stands up for her in confrontation with her father.) It's almost as if, when getting Felipe into his new role, it was thought necessary that he would have *everything* exactly like Diego - including a lady to court when in disguise. Surely that could have waited a bit...?

I do like your portrayal of him though, especially the emotional turmoil in the beginning. His feelings come across as very genuine, and yes, he would carry on the tradition in this way, I'm sure of it.
But the most beautiful part of the story I thought was when we readers realized that Victoria knew - and had known for quite some time, but had decided to pretend not to know in order to spare Diego the worry. If ever I've seen true love in action...

So... I guess this story is just not my cup of tea. Pity. I guess I'll just go back to rereading the others then :-)
DietMJ chapter 1 . 5/27/2010
Know you wrote this 5 years ago but I just discovered it. What an interesting storyline. Can't wait to read the next 2 parts. Not sure if I REALLY believe that Diego is gone. Will have ot wait and see.
amarie5 chapter 1 . 11/2/2003
I love how your story is writen

This is how I've picture the Zorro T.V. series

Thank you for writing it for us.
pamz chapter 1 . 5/31/2003
This is the first of a great series. It was very powerfully written. And so sad! I had to wipe away a tear or two as I read it.