Reviews for Act Civilized
Shannon chapter 1 . 3/10/2014
Aw do people really tell you to get over it? I have some social anxiety as well and it really makes no sense at all but it's not something you can just change
Zellona chapter 1 . 1/20/2014
This is a really cool story. Not just because its an awesome story, but because I TOTALLY get we're Sherlock's coming from. I don't think I qualify as having social anxiety (I dunno, it seems normal to me, so I can't tell) but I DO have the same irrational belief that when I make even the tiniest slip-up that everyone notices, remembers, and dwells on it as much as I do (Still get embarassed about awkward moments that happened last year).
I didn't know that other people thought like this, so thanks. This story really speaks to me.
JamieJ chapter 1 . 12/29/2013
Oh yes, that sucks. Poor sherlock.

Well done :)
Whirlwind421 chapter 1 . 2/15/2013
Great story. :D
magictalkingbunny chapter 1 . 1/11/2013
This is a very good story. I also suffer from social anxiety but I have co-existing ADD as well. One time my drama teacher almost brought me to tears because she didn't understand that I just couldn't get up and improv a monologue like everyone else. People don't realize how much it hurts.. This was an amazing and accurate discription of social anxiety..
nobody chapter 1 . 10/16/2012
Thanks for posting this. I don't have SAD so I can't relate that well, but it helps in understanding where a few friends of mine are coming from. Plus these two are entertaining. Maybe I should go explore the Sherlock fandom more...
Sherlocked Gallifreyan chapter 1 . 9/21/2012
Dude... I totally understand how Sherlock feels. .
Batman91939 chapter 1 . 6/23/2012
Great story! I have the exact same problem! Ordering food or just talking to people who I dont know its one of the hardest things to do for me and most poeple, even my family, say 'get over it. Its no big deal.' It is a big deal to me! Its a very well writen story. You captured the personality of John to a T and Sherlocks aswell. Thanks for writing it. Great job!
Ericat15 chapter 1 . 4/26/2012
I am not, as far as I am aware, someone who has social anxiety, I assume I have an amount, as going out to a party sometimes makes me nervous, talking with people who are not understanding of things I am doing makes me nervous, and every now and then, I have giant panic attacks that have been building up. But compared to what you've written about, thats a cakewalk.

So I understand on a "I get it" level, but not on a personal, "i've experienced it" one, regardless, I freaking LOVE this. I want to steal you and put you into a little basket and skip all over town with you, and I mean that in the most non-creepy way that statement can be taken. Thank you for writing this!
TheMidnightSprite chapter 1 . 3/29/2012
I don't think I have social anxiety, but I also get really nervous before ordering food - especially if there's a queue and everyone in the queue is ordering with such clarity and confidence and I'm standing gulping every two seconds hoping my words will come out right... and then if they don't I feel like everyone is laughing at my inability to speak comprehensively, even if no-one cares whatsoever.

So yeah, this fic was really good :'D
Random Ruth chapter 1 . 3/20/2012
I like how personal this fic is, makes it have more heart to it, if that's the right word. Does social anxiety affect more than making orders in cafes? Would you find it difficult to talk to strangers in the street for example? Just curious.
CryptoSquirrel chapter 1 . 2/21/2012
This was sweet. I can't picture Sherlock having that particular brand of anxiety, but you wrote it really well, and the ending made me smile. :)
Fuseaction chapter 1 . 2/9/2012
That's a very cool idea about Sherlock. No one would really have guessed about his Social Anxiety, but it could make sense when coupled with his anti-social behavior.

Great piece! I loved reading it! John is so lovely and caring!
Hekateras chapter 1 . 1/19/2012
Aw hell, yeah. You wrote awkward!Sherlock well - he's irritated and somewhat defensive, which makes sense, and fits him personally as well.

I once put off cancelling a gym membership for months because I couldn't gather the nerve to talk to the receptionist. And I still have huge hangups over talking to strangers on the phone (which was FUN when I had to phone a dozen people a day when looking for a new apartment, let me tell you). So I can totally sympathise.
Reidluver chapter 1 . 1/18/2012
This is beautiful! I can easily see this happening since Sherlock just seems like that kind of person. And I fully agree with everything, because social anxiety is bad. Yeah, you can improve with time but it's never going to fully go away. Thank you for this story to show people what it's like. :) We all needs a friend like John.