Reviews for Emperor of Zero
Rifful chapter 27 . 3/5/2016
I am really disappointed in your casual disregard for your characters. A character death is a tricky thing. The reasons, method, and selection of which characters are to die is a delicate balance, and I don't think this pulls it off successfully. Your main character is completely unlikable now. The only character left that has any potential is Louise, and we already feel resolved that the worst will happen to her, but even if you somehow reconcile Napoleon with Louise, it will simply taint Louise rather than redeeming Napoleon. Only the most jaded of readers appreciate the kind of tactics that place such importance on unexpected plot twists at the expense of the readers trust for the author.
clotilde grace chapter 48 . 3/3/2016
First of all, wow! The length and scope of this is just amazing and I feel like you aren’t even halfway through. I’m a big Napoleon nut as you can see from my avatar so when I learned about this fic I just squealed on the inside. That part with him burning War and Peace is just icing on the cake. It’s been nearly two years since your last update but I pray you haven’t thrown this into hiatusville.

The highlights are definitely the battles and the run up to them. I really enjoyed reading the Battle of La Rochelle and watching Napoleon in his element. Although I think using Louise at the end is kinda taking away from Napoleon’s crowning moment. Oh well, different times, different world. Plus, Napoleon would totally go for a decisive victory. Hahaha too bad he didn’t get his second Austerlitz (that lazy bum!).

Henrietta's death! Now that's what I call a plot twist! I got the goosebumps when I read the next part after The Hanged Man was The Emperor. I love the names you give your chapters and the quotes at the beginning.

So I have to point out some inconsistencies that are really bothering me. Guiche mentions to Napoleon that Tristain hasn’t been involved in a single war for over 300 years. A few chapters later we learn he has a noble father who’s not only a legendary military commander of Tristain but also some kind of Marshal. According to you Marshal Gramont has drove back invading Germanian forces in addition to stomping out rebellions within the country. That doesn’t even make any sense. You know what I think? I think you had to purposely create a rival for Napoleon so his victory wouldn’t look so easy and I understand that. But I think you could as easily portray an overconfident Napoleon who severely underestimates the magic of this world as you did with tricking him with the golems. Honestly Napoleon is in a league of his own . He is a veteran of more than 60 battles. This is the guy who repeatedly bamboozled his enemies and it took all of them teaming up to finally take him down. It makes more sense that the Tristainian military are amateurs compared to him if they’ve been in prolonged peace time. That was how you portrayed them initially. A total buffoon like De Poitiers was one of the head honcho, what does that say about their chain of command? Come to think of it, where were all these supposed military ‘geniuses’ in the Battle of La Rochelle and Albion invasion? It’s odd that we don’t even hear about them until the civil war.

Now as for the great man himself, I have mixed feelings about your portrayal of him. I appreciate that you added some realism by mentioning his eating habits, his personality, how he conducts his wars and even his constipation problems. But I feel that’s just about it. By turning him into a war-obssesed machine hell bent on conquering the world I think you just missed the point of Napoleon. Look, I won’t deny he wasn’t power hungry and that he forced his will upon his conquered lands and humiliated them. But Napoleon’s wars weren’t his wars, he inherited them from the Revolutionary Wars courtesy of Robespierre and the others. More wars were declared on him than he had declared on them. You could even say that he has good cause for the Peninsular War and Russian invasion because they broke treaties and consorted with his archenemies, the British. I’m just saying it’s unfair that you’ve turned him into some psychopath who plots civil unrest and is the root of all strife. The real Napoleon wasn’t really that adept at scheming and intriguing. He got duped several times over by Talleyrand, Metternich and Tsar Alexander. He keeps on forgiving his brothers, Bernadotte and Ney and look where that’s got him. Napoleon Bonaparte is as morally grey as you can get. But I suppose it’s too late for that now but at least I said my piece. Btw, does he even miss Earth? He still has three children, two stepchildren, his siblings (esp. Pauline), Madame Mere and the love of his life Josephine (who by now would be dead but he doesn't know that).

What I did like about Napoleon is his relationship with Louise. I hope you can delve more into that since as it stands it’s very vague what they really mean to each other. So far what I get from Napoleon is that while he respects Louise she is more of a tool and even poses a threat to him. Louise, I feel, adores Napoleon to the point she turns a blind eye to his more disturbing nature, she is aware of it but somehow she only passes it off in jest. I am really going to feel sorry for Louise and hate Napoleon once she finds out the extent of his treachery. Somehow I get the gut feeling it will happen when she has been so into deep, at the point of no return. Speaking of which I noticed there were several ship teasing about them early on but then you abruptly changed your mind and instead went with this father/daughter route. So what’s the deal? Did you shy away from it? Isn’t Napoleon supposed to be her Saito now? Personally, I wouldn’t be shocked as it would fit Napoleon’s MO. He would make sure Louise is 100% devoted to him and no one else. Yeah, I know there is a massive age gap but that would be the norm in this time period. You make 40s sound like a senior citizen. And let’s face it, Napoleon really isn’t father material. He’s actually more famous for his romantic exploits which he strangely has none in this world. I mean who could resist that man in the funny ‘at, lol. But seriously, if not Louise then perhaps Tiffania assuming he’s also going to be her familiar here?

I’d also like to complain about the pace. It’s not slow per se but I think you’re putting too much focus on the Siesta debacle and Karin, and I really despise both. Siesta goes from nice to sympathetic to bitchy to just plain despicable. Napoleon is supposed to be despicable as well but at least he is not tedious to read. Siesta’s just unpleasant to read. I’m sure you have a lot of plans for her future but I hope you can minimize her screen time or at least write her in someone else’s POV. As for Karin, ugh! We have evil characters like Cromwell and Duke Wardes but somehow they can’t measure up to Karin’s vileness. I’m done with her the moment she tried to murder her own child, even Napoleon wouldn’t stoop so low. Please stop trying to paint her in a sympathetic light, she’s not worth the effort. Rule of Steel my ass, what a hypocrite. The nobles have to be brain damaged if they think such a mercurial banshee would make a good ruler. I hope Wardes gets rid of her.

One last thing. You keep mentioning Napoleon’s health. Is this a hint that he is close to his end? But you said Napoleon would look for ways to extend his life now that he has acess to magic and yet he’s not even trying which is very unlike him because I’m sure given his character that would be his first priority. I hope you don’t mean to kill him off yet. He’s still relatively young and quite physically active. Unlike the OTL he doesn’t have the stress and burden of getting exiled in the middle of nowhere. I don’t think Louise has what it takes to act independently yet. She’s got a long way to go but honestly I don’t think she, or anyone else for that matter, can ever measure up to Napoleon. She has that crazy powerful magic going for her but that just makes her a soldier not a great leader.

Btw, Napoleon is supposed to be around 43-44 here not 45 since the time period was supposed to be before his first exile. He was 45 on his second exile. Oh and his uniform was green, not blue, green!

-clotilde grace
thepkrmgc chapter 32 . 2/26/2016
im surprised how well louise is reacting, though she's clearly still a pawn of napoleon for the moment
thepkrmgc chapter 31 . 2/26/2016
I think were past the point where there are good guys or protagonists each side is a villain in its own way
thepkrmgc chapter 30 . 2/26/2016
it seems like napoleon wont get a chance to show his military genius after all, uness he goes and attacks gallia of course
thepkrmgc chapter 29 . 2/26/2016
I wonder what tiffania is doing?
thepkrmgc chapter 28 . 2/26/2016
siestas the wildcard here, and she has good reason to hate all the major players: she might not be in a position to use the knoweldge herself but whovever has those books and the means to translate them will come out on top
thepkrmgc chapter 27 . 2/26/2016
napoleon you magnificent bastard! this firmly cements him as evil, but im rooting for him nonetheless

whatever happened to the library siesta saved?
thepkrmgc chapter 26 . 2/26/2016
napoleons always been better on offense but theyres no way he doesnt expect an attack over the holiday
thepkrmgc chapter 25 . 2/26/2016
napoleons bringing total war to halgengya, its monstrous, but they wont know what hit them
thepkrmgc chapter 24 . 2/26/2016
its going to take more then 50 trained guardsmen, but they will probably form the backbone of the officer/NCO core once napoleon gets his hands on the main army
thepkrmgc chapter 23 . 2/26/2016
ive got to applaud napoleons audacity, his bravado is honestly awe inspiring
thepkrmgc chapter 22 . 2/26/2016
I wonder what the duches is intending politically?
thepkrmgc chapter 21 . 2/26/2016
elenors right to be suspicious and karins right to call him a monster, I doubt the nobility would react well to stories of the french revolution and youd have to be a fool not to see his current schemes if you knew how he got power in the first place. and while i might be rooting for his success: theres no denying that millions died because of his ambitions: hes lawful neutral at best and even then with heavy shades of lawful evil
thepkrmgc chapter 20 . 2/26/2016
it seems like napoleons propaganda machine is working well, im surprised he he didnt try and join the triumphal parade
625 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »