Reviews for Wandering Yankee
Glory1863 chapter 1 . 10/19/2013
Volley, I just saw Madama Butterfly at the Lyric Opera yesterday and it reminded me of this story. I wonder if it was your translation they used? I'd be lost without that caption bar up over the stage. I must admit that I don't see Trip as being much like Pinkerton. I don't think that's because I'm American, but that's probably hard for me to judge objectively. It's just that Pinkerton has a nastiness to begin with that Trip doesn't have. Pinkerton knows from the start that he's doing wrong, but he doesn't care. I think Cogenitor comes closer to Trip being like Pinkerton than any of Trip's romantic adventures. In Cogenitor, what Trip wants to achieve isn't wrong, but how he goes about it certainly is (and I think he knows that and does it anyway) and the ending is as horrible as Butterfly's. Nonetheless, I really like your use of opera to tell the story. I'm thinking T'Pol (and Trip, too) could learn something from Lucia di Lammermoor or at least Carmen.
Begoogled chapter 1 . 2/5/2012
I forgot to update my e-mailaddress for this website, so I missed your story alert! What a treat to read this funny story, and it was educational, too! :) I'm not much into opera, but I listened to some parts of Madama Butterfly while reading your story, and I was touched by the unfolding events, as well as intrigued by how each of the crew responded to the plot. Loved it that Malcolm was familiar with the material, and how Trip was arguing about Pinkerton. I'm glad Malcolm expresses his dislike of the character. I also loved the references to Risa. I watched a few episodes of season 3 last week, and Malcolm's sly humour here reminded me of that time when he asks Trip about Amanda Cole and T'Pol.

Thank you for sharing another fun and heart-warming story with the whole Enterprise crew!
volley chapter 1 . 1/28/2012
Woops, didn't mean to offend anyone here, least of all our favourite Chief Engineer! This is just a humorous piece stemming from my wild imagination :-)
Robert E. Lee Patterson chapter 1 . 1/28/2012
Trip Tucker ain't no goddamned Yankee.
Scotius chapter 1 . 1/26/2012
Ech, i miss Enterprise and her boisterous crew. And Archer really is the last one to call the proverbial kettle black - his track record is not spotless either :P All in all - very good story.
Deedaladee chapter 1 . 1/14/2012
That was unexpected and delightful. You even included all of them in this one! Thank you, Volley, once again.
Reanok chapter 1 . 1/14/2012
Volley nice to see of you using Movie night and Madam Butterfly to have the crew discuss Trip's misadventures in Precious cargo and showing T'Pol's disaproval of Trip being with the princess was well portrayed in your to see Malcolm's reaction to Trip reacted during the movie. Poor Trip was not happy about this movie and being compared to Pinkerton in the movie.
Alelou chapter 1 . 1/14/2012
Very nice. Not sure I see Jon as an opera fan, but you never know. Good use of the whole crew. Deliciously ironic given what's coming, too.
Moichino chapter 1 . 1/14/2012
Excellent story. And I think you nailed it :) I can see Archer doing something like this and the way you've written everyone's POVs is spot on with my take on the series. Well done. And Pinkerton does apply to Trip during the first 2 years of the series ... well, in many ways Trip's character is Pinkerton-like. I really like how the story ends, with Trip being abit down / put off that people might see him that way. Just great - thank you.
LoyaulteMeLie chapter 1 . 1/14/2012
An excellent story, and very unusual material. It's wholly within character the way your characters behave, and yes, I do think that Captain Archer is perfectly subtle enough to use opera to make a point to Trip while giving an unusual variation on 'Movie Night' to the rest of the crew.
Putaro chapter 1 . 1/14/2012
Great banter amongst the characters. Now I want some popcorn!
Minch chapter 1 . 1/13/2012
Yippee, first one to comment!

A nice tag to "Precious Cargo". You captured all of the characters beautifully and completely, from Phlox snitching popcorn to T'Pol's annoyance at the overemotionalism to Malcolm's snarky comments.

Keep the plot bunnies hopping in!