Reviews for Blocked
Cleonie 'Jayne Mansfield' Quin chapter 1 . 6/21/2012
So beautiful.
Briony Fickling chapter 1 . 1/27/2012
The award-winning movie, not all too historically accurate however, dealt with the relational aspects of the king’s speech impairment. His strained relationship with his father and older brother, and the close relationship he had with his wife, the queen, and his therapist.

Although I enjoyed reading the chapter with a new “twist” to the psychological effects of his stammering, I found that the character we got to know in the movie was very different to the one I perceive in this piece of writing.

Here are a couple of reasons why it wasn’t disappointing of his wife that had him so deeply troubled:

king’s insecurities began as a child with a severe father and a brother he felt he could never live up to.

period during which he had speech therapy was also a time of war when making such speeches had major impacts for the country.

he had a speech impediment, he was confident in his messages and I think was more passionate about getting the message across than disappointing his wife. That may have come at a quieter, more reflective moment.

speech had supposedly improved with everyone other than his brother.

Lastly, the king was supposedly only known to his wife and his therapists as Bertie and so the author’s use of Bertie instead of “The King” or “Prince Albert” or “King George VI” interests me. According to historians, it was unlikely that a civilian such as the therapist was truly allowed to call the king “Bertie” but, in the movie, this detail merely emphasizes the close relationship between king and therapist. It also makes the piece so much more personal to the reader, almost as if you have a secret insight into his thoughts.

It seems to be a well written piece that engages the reader and certainly makes one imagine the romantic side of the same story. Maybe one day this side of the story will be made into a movie.
Giraffes Will Rule The World chapter 1 . 1/24/2012
I thinnk you portrayed their relationship perfectly. I loved this story. Great job!
Bellatrix Nellie Le-Lovett chapter 1 . 1/17/2012
Such a cute little story, I loved it! It was so sweet