Reviews for The Shipyard
Oldenuf2knobeta chapter 1 . 8/13/2014
Hey you,
Just had to take a look at this before I further immerse myself in all things Plummy.
I'm currently kicking my own arse for taking so long to get around to reading this. Really, WTF was I thinking ?
This is breath taking.
Extraordinary attention to detail , remarkably accurate cadence of language and authenticity of time and place.
Lord, HM would have had a field day on FanFic, finally able to embrace his hitherto hidden homoerotic undertones. He'd have been the King of Slash...Fisty Shades of Grey Whale, anyone?
There is such a beauty and elegance in your writing style that absolutely stuns me. And I love how you've created an entire world with sights, smells ,colours and observations that feel wholly realistic. This miasma of life where man's (and woman's) ambitions, desires and deviousness , strategies and dreams ebb and flow. The homosexual aspect of these characters is almost incidental, matter of fact and very erotic.
As if thats not clever enough , you've then finished with a time jump that brings us full circle and gives us a (possible) HEA that satisfies even then most cynical of heart.
Genius.
Change the names Edward and Jasper , and get this sucker published immediately.
meepison chapter 1 . 10/6/2012
This was wonderful! Your writing transported me to another time. Very evocative. Sad that they were unable to find each other again in their time but very realistic.
Beautiful that the sea and it's endless ebb and flow was able to reconnect their threads.
Constantly Cunfuzled chapter 1 . 7/31/2012
you are an amazing writer in case you haven't noticed
bikechick3 chapter 1 . 4/15/2012
Well done! Your writing style is much more lush and well thought-out than some in the ffic world (kudos to your beta) but I very much enjoyed it - and the story as well! Great ending.

Please write more, two stories is not enough!
bmango chapter 1 . 3/18/2012
Wow. Just wow. I was completely enthralled with the story of Jasper and Edward and was sad that it didn't work out in the original time and place. The ending was a wonderful surprise.

This line spoke to me, how we all think there might be someone out there for us: "Not that he believes in love, but he reckons he could be ambitious for someone else, should the right person come along." If that's not love, I don't know what is.

Beautiful. -b
AnakinSmom chapter 1 . 3/15/2012
Wow! Great historical content! The descriptions and language really made me feel a part of it all. So much attention to detail is greatly appreciated!

Of course, my favorite part was the ending. I had been feeling so bad that they missed their chance only to have it reappear generations later.

I look forward to reading more of your work!
izziey chapter 1 . 2/23/2012
absolutely fascinating story. part of me wants more, another part likes that it ends here.

i will always appreciate these contests; they introduce me amazing writers.
thelostartofletterwriting chapter 1 . 2/19/2012
I always thought Moby Dick was intensely homoerotic, but my Catholic high school English teacher really didn't appreciate my views, nor the essay I wrote *lmao*

Anyway, I completely enjoyed this!
arfalcon chapter 1 . 2/18/2012
Plummy, you naughty woman, this is fantastic! I loved the detail as well as the pull between Jasper and Edward. H. Melville was very wise, and he might very well see the appeal of this story. Especially if he caught a glimpse of that tattoo as you typed. xoxo
spanglemaker9 chapter 1 . 2/17/2012
Ugh, so SO good. This really is too exceptional for fan fiction. Thanks, as always, for writing and sharing it with us. It's an honor to read your words.
msmargo chapter 1 . 2/14/2012
wow, didn't expect to find something like this in fanfiction. lifeinthesnow recc'd you and i'm glad she did.
denverpopcorn chapter 1 . 2/7/2012
Gorgeous.

Deft hand at language as always. You never fail to surprise me, but even better, to suck me into your world so I never want to leave. It's the prose that did it, mom, the prose!

Also, you wrote this in ten minutes, didn't you? I just know you did.

I bow, I thank, I wink. I wish this were a longer voyage.

Cheers!
grrlinterrupted chapter 1 . 2/3/2012
The astonishing beauty and nuanced subtlety of your writing was beyond anything I could hope to achieve. I enjoyed this immensely - the detail, the placing, the characterisation was stunning. An incredible piece.
Jasper-replaces-edward chapter 1 . 1/31/2012
ah that was lovely, lyricalkris pimped you ! xx
BellaTesoro chapter 1 . 1/28/2012
Heavy words, easy to get lost in them, and I did.

This story could easily stretch into a multi-chapters. It's the

type of text you need to read twice and then have someone to discuss it with.

Your use of the English language is extraordinary.

Thank you for sharing.