Reviews for Shadows of Grief
shadowsteed chapter 9 . 11/30/2014
Now this was an amazing end to an amazing story, I loved it. :D
Wolfs bane wicked chapter 9 . 4/15/2013
I love it. I also enjoyed shadows of agony.
Guest chapter 9 . 3/19/2013
I cried so hard while reading this. But I loved it all the same.
queenmedesa chapter 1 . 5/23/2012
What a great story!
Nervea chapter 8 . 4/22/2012
Hey. It’s been some time since I gave you a review. It’s not because I’m not interested in your story anymore. It’s just because I don’t know what to write. I still love to read your chapters. But lately there hasn’t been much progress in your narrative. Things kept repeating themselves. But this chapter was kind of a turning point. Von Krolock drinking Lili’s blood… I knew this would happen eventually and I was already waiting for it. Luckily he stopped before he could really harm her… Even if it’s not sure that he would have stopped if he wasn’t interrupted. And Ivan being the son of Anneliese… finally there’s your connection to the first story! I’d never imagined him being her son. That was quite a surprise actually. But it really keeps things interesting.

Please keep updating… I am waiting :)
S.H.Sartre chapter 6 . 3/18/2012
I'm so curious about this fic! Poor Graf, don't hurt him to much, please! And for Cristian, a slow and painful death.

It's a great story, please, continue!
queenmedesa chapter 6 . 3/16/2012
How lovely,little Herbert!
Tinili chapter 4 . 2/15/2012
Great Idea, great sory! I love your writing style!
Qu33n0f1c3 chapter 4 . 2/10/2012
Why would anyone call you an idiot for having an opinion... Look, I understand that I'm a bit straightforward and particular in the way I expressed myself in my review, but it's not fair to use so much of what I said to twist it around and demean my opinion

I did read that other story in full, and I agree that I wouldn't want to see Krolock portrayed as purely evil. Tanz der Vampire is a satire after all... The whole point was for him to break the bloodthirsty monster cliche. All I was contesting is that he broke very easily over an author inserted female original character. I'm entitled to having that opinion and I did say I didn't mean badly by it... Stories like this are a genre in Tanz fandom. I've seen at least three just on that follow the same model. It reminds me a bit of Teilight. That may be what people want to see. And that's okay...

My problem with the "vampire slayer", I suppose, is the modern world setting, and how difficult it would be to conceal that sort of vicious, anti-social personality from the rest of the world if it's that open and exposed.

You are judging me yourself. You don't know me or my life circumstances. No, I dont think I know better... And I know I don't have the right to judge everything... But is a public forum people are allowed to praise a story as much as they are allowed to critique it or feel it could use a little work. It's just my opinion, it's not meant to be degrading to the author as a person... It's not like my writing is much better :(

An aggressive review... It was honestly very insulting. You may have been writing for fifteen years-that's great for you-but that doesn't give you the right to judge another persons feelings for something. Everyone has different tastes. I did say most of what I thought didn't matter as long as people were having fun... Again, it's like Twilight... I didn't like the book, and I can give reasons why, but that doesn't mean I have a right to tell the millions of fans they aren't allowed to enjoy it either...
Gaps of Misery chapter 4 . 2/6/2012
It's not sugar coating when I say I adore your story because of the way it portrays von Krolock. And believe me, to hear praise from me is not something taken for granted since I’m terribly fussy, even when it comes to my own stories.

Call me an idiot or not intellectual enough if you want, but I think everything in your story works.

I don’t want a cliché count who just ravishes and kills. You make him more than a bloodthirsty monster. And you give his behavior a reason that was built up in 22 chapters of your first story. Von Krolock may be a vampire, yes – but he’s still a man. Having a dead body doesn’t mean he has to be utterly dead inside. If he were, what would be the point in TdV fanfiction after all?

On the other hand, do I really want a vampire slayer who’s not cliché? Do I want him to be nice and understanding, having tons of therapy sessions with the vampire until he decides to finally kill him? It’s just my personal opinion, but no, I don’t want any of those things.

Stories need time to develop. And I think four chapters aren’t enough to say that there’s the ultimate light at the end of the tunnel – apart from von Krolock’s portrayal, of course, since that was well (not actually well for himself, but you’ll surely get what I mean) developed in 22 chapters.

There will always be people who know it better… people who think they have the right to judge everything and everyone because in their little world, they are king or queen… people who don’t even pay enough respect to take a proper look at your work, but instead pick a few lines and decide to call it a reading.

However, after having read “Shadows of Agony” (and I mean reading ALL of it), I know that you don’t just deliver lines for the sake of finishing a chapter. There’s more behind it – sometimes only at second glance, I admit, which gives both your stories a depth you rarely find in fanfiction these days.

If I decide to not like it from the very first beginning (language and style of writing aside), I’ll most definitely not like it anyway. It is impertinent, however, to do so without having given the first story a chance – it’s like reading “The Two Towers” from “Lord of the Rings” while having read only the first few pages from part one and then complaining that it’s illogical how they suddenly have a ring to destroy… ;)

So, yes, this is an aggressive sort of review, but since I’ve been writing for over 15 years myself, having put a lot of details and energy into my own stories, I just feel the same about your work and I DO know how to appreciate your view on TdV which is, after all, far from all those cliché views you sadly find in most TdV fanfiction stories.

Please don’t get discouraged by what some people may think or rather not think about your wonderful story. As I already said in my review for “Shadows of Agony”: your portrayal of von Krolock is touching because it dares to go new ways without turning him into a teenager-like sissy. It’s his mute resignation that makes him who he really is. And that, my dear, is far from any cliché. :)
vivace160 chapter 3 . 1/31/2012
Icedevimon:

Again, thank you for your review :) I certainly do appreciate any constructive criticism. However, I have one issue with what you said and that is the fact you haven't finished reading Shadows of Agony. I get that some of the things you mentioned only pertain to the sequel but others are things you can't really judge until you've finished Shadows of Agony. When you do finish it, it may not change your opinion but then I'll at least know your opinion is based on what you read and not what you're assuming.

By no means am I claiming these stories don't have their faults; I'm no writer. These are the only two stories I've ever written and I wrote them: 1. for the fun of it, and 2. I've grown tired of seeing so many Herbert/Alfred stories. That said, if I ever consider writing again I will most certainly keep what you've said in mind.
Qu33n0f1c3 chapter 3 . 1/31/2012
I had not read your other story, though so am in the process of doing so. I will review that one when I am finished and tell you what I think worked, and what I think did not-and there was a lot I think did not work.

This sequel, so far, shares a similar vein of thought. There's a lot that works, and a lot that doesn't.

For instance, it's really hard for me to imagine Krolock pining away for a single, solitary girl, no matter what you set up in your previous story. Oh, I believe it torments him, as evidenced by his painful solo, but it seems more a universal thing, and extended to both men and women.

Though I believe the greatest weakness of the story is that you rely so heavily on tropes and cliches. These characters are not quite characters-not yet; they are composites. The three vampire hunters are cruel, sexist pigs. The one dudes wife is quiet, doesn't question him, and is apparently sexually abused. This is the second time you have involvements this in a female character. It feels... stale. If these characters were more developed and less obviously caricature based, the story would be able to shine quite strongly, but as it stands, characterization-on every level-needs a lot of work.

What does work well, however is your language. The characters are very weak, but your narration is strong, and it benefits the writing to the point where characterization flaws can almost be forgiven.

It is wonderful that people enjoy the story. I'm just not the kind of reader to sugar coat my thoughts on a subject.

They liked your Krolock. I find him out of character in this sequel as well as the previous story. They find no fault with your characters, I see them as composites rooted in long standing typical roles for men and women, like the Deal with drunk wife and the drunk cruel husband and friends.

Of course, this is just a fanfic, so there is a question of whether characterization even matters so long as the readers and writers are having fun, so in no way am I meaning to demean you. My intention is to merely give you another side of the spectrum. Even if you choose to disregard my critique, it is worth giving, because everyone has room to improve, and praise isn't what gets that done.

Keep on writing though. The only way to get better is with practice :)
Nervea chapter 2 . 1/28/2012
Oh, please update. I think I cannot wait any longer… With every word I read, I like this story more. I’m always thinking about what may happen next and I already have a few suspicions. But now I’m really eager to find out if any of them are right…
S.H.Sartre chapter 2 . 1/22/2012
Oh, thankyouthankyouthankyou!

It will be here soon, I promise!

Oh, btw, I'm sooooo curious about this fic... Is Liliana the reincarnation of Anneliese? I know, crazy idea, but... it's a possibility, isn't?

See ya!

:D
S.H.Sartre chapter 1 . 1/16/2012
I'm alredy loving it! I love first chapters!

It's so sad to see Von Krolock still thinking of her...

Would you mind if I translate your fics to Portuguese?

From now on, thank you.

Oh, I almost forget. Where is Herbert and Breda?