Reviews for Don't Pretend You Care
electric gurrl chapter 1 . 8/17/2015
The last section was heartbreaking but well written.
StayAlive-Okay-AllonsY chapter 1 . 7/8/2014
Hey!
I absolutely adored your story. You wrote them so wonderfully, you really captured their relationship, and the essence of each character.
Haymitch and Effie seem so complicated to write, you did an extraordinary job.
But the story has such an angsty ending :( I am dying to know how they would react when they see each other again. Have you considered writing another chapter?
Thank you for writing this wonderful story! I hope you continue to enlighten us with more hayffie :)

Yaz
Guest chapter 1 . 8/9/2012
Wow. Deep stuff. But good, deep stuff. Keep it up! Maybe some happy stuff would be good too, though. Just a suggestion. I love the pairing, is there some plot bunny that won't stop bothering you about them that could be something happy, funny? Anyway, just a suggestion. Keep writing!
marblesharp chapter 1 . 7/9/2012
Nice study of Effie here! :D Haymitch's attitude towards her is very effective since it is so close to canon.
I like that you didn't pair them up as a couple but took time to develop their strange kind of friendship, then left it off incomplete and almost resentful.
Also, nice touch: Haymitch wants Effie to stop pretending while Effie wants him to at least pretend to care.
Shikabane-Mai chapter 1 . 6/12/2012
Oh god, the ending. I feel for Effie here because it seems like Haymitch left her when Katniss broke the force field because he doesn't think she cares when she obviously does. :'( Agh, the angst. Great story.
Recondita chapter 1 . 4/15/2012
Someone recommended me this fic by saying "Angsty as anything, but hey, so is the entire relationship between the two", but this didn't prepare me for how heartbroken this fanfic left me. A few things other than that, but what made my heart shrink more than anything was how she started drinking herself into his side. She does care, he cares, neither of them know it. Thanks for sharing this.
annieX chapter 1 . 3/25/2012
This is really good. I liked the way you made haymitch and effie's relationship
ketbelle chapter 1 . 3/24/2012
Cool.
Intestines chapter 1 . 1/21/2012
Well, I don't know what to say. Everyone else seems to have already said everything I was thinking but I'll leave this review anyway because I really did think the fic was wonderful. Perfect, really. The structure was lovely, and you said what needed to be said without overdoing it and got their characters just right. Poor Effie and Haymitch indeed. I just want to give them both a big hug now. Anyway, yeah, brilliant.
DC55 chapter 1 . 1/18/2012
I am crying.

Beautiful, just wonderful, great job. Heartbreaking. Poor Effie, poor Haymitch. Please please please continue.

I was talking to my friend an I said, you know which couple I actually love? Effie and Haymich. She looks at me like I'm crazy and says you ship Heffie... Me, ummm yeah ;)

I guess I'm not the only one. Please do more Heffie, it would make me happy! If you continue, UPDATE SOON! :)
envielestrange chapter 1 . 1/18/2012
Well, this is heartbreaking. And possibly the best effie/haymitch I've read so far.
Howlynn chapter 1 . 1/17/2012
Oh tthis is just fantastic - it really captures so many moments others seem to miss - like the fact Haymitch would have died in the mine probably and his reaping saved him in some weird way - I always thought that it was ironic that the explosion killed Katniss and Gales fathers yet sort of made Haymitch end up taking the place of father figure -

kind of like bad luck and good luck are hard to tell apart. Love that you wove it in.

I would have loved to see a moment between them after the war as well - Her harder than ever - him softer -

Nice story!
Ellenka chapter 1 . 1/16/2012
wow... yeah, the format does work great for you. It sure is a great way to dish our you awesome spot-on and succinct observations without dulling them with any filler in-between. One of the result is that pretty much every sentence is totally quotable and I don't know what to pick ;)

and this was another shining example of your mad ninja character develompent skillz. I loved how they grew together and drank together a influenced each other throughout the years, all the contrasts and parellels and odd combinations thereof.

"...standing there pretending to be happy while she picks the names of kids who won't." - I've always thought about her this way too, but never would've thought about this simple-yet-brilliant wording.

"...goes looking for something else to drink, but there isn't anything left, he's finished it all." - this was awesome in so many layers. Sure, like pretty much everything else, but this kinda hit me hard and made me LOL despite the circumstances.

"He probably would have been in that mine." - but still, many people got out - who knows if he'd get out too. All kinds of thought-provoking this one.

"It's a good thing he falls and knocks himself unconscious, because she might've done it for him if he hadn't." - LOL. I loved Effie best at this moment. Classic, but absolutely fresh and brilliant use.

"as she reads his name" - ouch. Honestly, I've never thought of it that way, but now that you point it out... just ouch.
AnnAddicted chapter 1 . 1/16/2012
Gosh... I'm crying! This might be the most beautiful fanfic I ever read. You should do another, you're talented. I love it! Keep up the good work :)
Solaryllis chapter 1 . 1/16/2012
These snapshots are great, each so vivid and illuminating some aspect of their relationship. Great job. I love the idea that Haymitch realizes he might have been in that mining accident that killed Katniss and Gale's fathers... Very spooky. Haymitch was awesome, but you gave great depth to Effie too, which is a lot trickier - kudos!