Reviews for All Hallows' Eve
ZabuzasGirl chapter 1 . 1/25/2016
Wonderful!
Update immediately, please!
firedrakegirl chapter 16 . 10/30/2015
I just spent the last few days, around work and school and whatnot, reading this series. You have quite a talent as a writer. I really enjoyed it.
donovandelaney26101 chapter 1 . 7/14/2015
Helene that's hard to say and it's not a word. Barkis would not still be in the land of the dead.
Flaming Trails chapter 16 . 4/3/2015
All right, I'll admit - when this first came up, I was startled that there was absolutely nothing about Victor reuniting with Victoria. Somehow I'd convinced myself that the story would end with Victor moving on as well, once Helene was safely back Upstairs.

But you know what? Thinking about it, it's kind of nice that he's sticking around. It's great that he and Helene will actually be able to build a relationship - that she'll have family beyond her grandparents. Maybe that's what he needs to move on in the end anyway - being somebody's father is certainly a change. And it'll mean some happier birthdays too.

The ending bit with Mrs. Hall was great - this poor woman simply CANNOT catch a break, can she? We can only wonder at what she'll make of Helene's story. And I like her perspective highlighting the change that's happened in Helene. She went down there rather cold and quietly unhappy, and she returns with a fresh zest for life and an understanding that it's okay to care. I think everyone in the village needs a turn Downstairs, it seems to do them good. I'm glad she's going to have such an adventurous life, though I imagine by the end her father and mother are going to react to her finally dying with, "No seriously, when are you going back?" :P

Congrats on finally getting this thing finished, and have fun with your Over The Garden Wall stuff, along with the rest!
PlayerPiano chapter 16 . 4/2/2015
Well done you for finishing this! It's a very sweet ending, and I like the callback to the beginning of the story. Also fantastic to read about Helene's exciting life. Lives. :)

Best of luck on your other projects!
No name please chapter 15 . 3/26/2015
Okay, I have no idea why, but the website hasn't let me log in for ages, so I'm just going to be a guest, it seems. I'm so so so sorry for the wait!

I absolutely loved Helene fighting back against Barkis. You did a nice job of avoiding the cliches of the "strong woman fighting the bad guy," while still maintaining Helene's agency and feisty nature. The "you can't kill me" line coupled with her slashing at him with the blade was particularly noteworthy- I was cheering for her so much during that sequence! There was something incredibly empowering yet childlike about it- she's inexpertly handling her weapon and just swinging it at him like a kid, but her words are so forceful and nicely reflect her adolescence/maturity. It was a nice balance and an all-together amazing moment.

Normally I take issue with Victor giving into violent impulses. He always struck me as a man who could do twice as much damage with words than he could with his fists, but considering that he just witnessed the man murder his only child, the punch was very much called for. But I particularly enjoyed the image of six-foot-something Victor towering over Barkis on the ground. He didn't need to say or do anything, and you didn't have to embellish the moment with fluff- he had the upper hand for just a moment, he was positively radiating fury, and you did an excellent job of maintaining that tension just before the rats knocked him down.

Finally, I just want to send a love note out to the description of the burning circus in the end. The imagery was gorgeous, and I loved the juxtaposition of Victor supporting his daughter as they watch the place crumble into ash. Absolutely beautifully written!

I'm so sorry for being MIA as of late- but I'm happy to see that you got a tumblr! I shall check it out pronto! :D
PlayerPiano chapter 15 . 2/15/2015
Really nice-I support the note about the lighter, it's a good touch. :) Also, I'm willing to believe that the fact that this is the most convenient of universes will keep the rest of the land of the dead from burning down.

I also appreciate the exploration of change and moving on after death. A really nice chapter, I'm looking forward to the next!
Flaming Trails chapter 15 . 2/14/2015
Damn straight I did, and it's very satisfying to see it burn. To anybody wondering, I'm sure most of the dead are smart enough to figure out fire breaks - and there IS liquid down there, if the alcohol's any indication. That wouldn't be useful against this, of course, but if they can find any water, stagnant as hell or not. . . *shrug*

Now then - SQUEE VICTOR PUNCHED BARKIS VICTOR PUNCHED THAT BASTARD I VOTE FOR A STORY WHERE VICTOR JUST PUNCHES EVERYTHING And Alphonse telling him off, and Helene coming back, and the rats. . . Heh, this is why you never put your trust in hordes of vicious animals, Barkis - because, in the end, they're still animals and can't reason like a person. Yeah, sure, they probably could have taken her down, but you were ALWAYS the easier target. Very fitting. :) Looking forward to the wrap-up!
PlayerPiano chapter 14 . 12/26/2014
This was super lovely, so reflective and sweet. I especially love how you use the theme of the movie in your own way, in a great reimagining and explanation of life, love, and death. Very well done, I enjoyed this chapter!
Flaming Trails chapter 14 . 12/25/2014
Well, that was a wonderful and touching chapter. I'm glad Helene got the chance to meet her mother - though if Victoria had been privy to Victor snapping at Emily back in "In Between" when he first drank the poison, she might know a little of where Helene gets her sharp-tongued-ness from. (Just a little, though; I think it's more likely Mrs. Hall is responsible for a good chunk.) Nice explanation for how the "crossroads" works, too. And yeah, perhaps it's sappy, but it's a pleasant sappy. Very nice work.

And now I have to ruin it by admitting that not five minutes after I read the chapter I was laughing my ass off because Helene having a flower in her reminds me of an LP one of my favorite YouTube LPers did of Drakenguard 3. Where the protagonist also has a flower in her that saved her life - and it's pure evil and she's trying to destroy it to save the world. XD Granted, Helene going into Intoner Mode on Barkis's ass would be deeply satisfying. . .
Fusion Palace chapter 14 . 12/24/2014
Cool little 'God bless us geeks, every one' in the end - I certainly wouldn't have come up with it.

And wow, so I'm guessing that Helene is sort of immortal until she chooses to die - does she age? That part slightly confuses me. And awww, this chapter was so bittersweet, the way Victoria told her daughter how proud she was and revealed what happened on the night of her birth and why she didn't go to 'heaven' or whatever it is because of the flower her father gave her.

Crikey, Victor and the other characters are going to get quite a shock next chapter - and gack, Helene would be in a lot of pain after substaining those injuries. :/

Can you estimate when the next chapter's up? Like I said in our PM's, take it as a compliment. :p There's no pressure to rush these things though, it is Christmas tomorrow after all.

Merry Christmas, btw!
Fusion Palace chapter 13 . 11/1/2014
Oh my gosh, this is AMAZING! What a lefthander - so she's dead? I was not expecting this at all...well I can't wait to read the next chapter.
The style of your writing fits the time period perfectly, but if the story is set in 19th Century Britain (at least I think it is) then the proper word for the cemetery is a graveyard.
Flaming Trails chapter 13 . 10/29/2014
Helene, why didn't you just DROP the darn lighter. . .oh, but I can't complain, she didn't realize (though I'm slightly surprised she didn't put two and two together about Barkis being - well, Barkis - earlier?). Masterfully creepy and tense chapter, what with Victor and Henry's not-escape and the macabre wedding. And what a way to end it! I think I might know what's coming next, but I can't be sure. Just - damn. Very good work, and I'm looking forward to the next piece, whenever it comes.

I notice the vows are slightly different from those in the movie - or, at least, the order of what you do with what thing. And huh - different ones for the bride. Emily was just parroting back Victor's at their wedding. Still, they're very nicely done, and almost two decades later might see some changes made. Still wish Barkis's lips had fallen completely off before he'd said them, though, the arse. And I want to do ROTTEN things to that Benjy.

Also, red wedding dress? Why do I think you're paying homage to another TB flick here. . .
PlayerPiano chapter 13 . 10/10/2014
Woof, what an ending! The pacing was wonderful in this section, and the mood chilling. I enjoyed reading this very much!

I also enjoyed your phrasing in the section about how the light in the land of the dead is really there to hold back the dark. A really nice way of expressing the idea.
PlayerPiano chapter 12 . 9/29/2014
Really nice work, as always. I love the atmosphere and the imagery, and Helene's emotional progression here is very well-done. Looking forward to the next installment! :)
59 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »