Reviews for Against The Dying Of The Light
IshouldHaveALifeButWhoWantsOne chapter 2 . 6/27/2014
Good story, but please use so each marks. It's so confusing without them.
blindrain chapter 10 . 10/13/2010
I read this story last night (it's morning where I am, now) - and I spent the entire night mulling over the last bits of this chapter and the first bits of the next.

I've read a lot of stories where characters die - even the ones you've used ("especially" might be more apt ;-)) - but I have never, ever spent the entire night brooding over that. I'm not sorry I did - you wrote them well. :)

Good job, and thank you.
Christina Shen chapter 15 . 8/20/2004
hey there... i dunno why you dun continue your story, but i do hope that you'll get some spirit from this review... teeheehee

i really like your story, very much because of your writing style, i rarely read fanfic that written in such gentle and tolkien-ish english. a lot of them have mix it with modern terms but not in yours. i love it though the twist on elrohir and haldir kinda surprised me ehhehehehe

please please please do continue, i know that it's been two years looking at the last date you updated the story... but i think you should continue this... please...
odyssey1 too lazy to log in chapter 15 . 12/25/2003
Once again I have to stress how utterly wonderful your story is. Legolas reclaiming his kingdom (by the way - what about his family? Have ALL of them left? He never striked me as the chosen heir of Thranduil's realm) from some dark whatever is fascinating.
I have no idea where you get your brilliant ideas from, but please keep them coming!
Please e-mail me when you update. Once again I wish you happy holidays (and lots of inspiration!), Odyssey :)
odyssey1 chapter 7 . 12/25/2003
Dear mayelbrid,
this is truly a gem of a story. I had not planned to review until after I finished the story, but I'm so enthusiastic about it that I just can't help myself. I hope you forgive me ;)
I love the fact that you have obviously done so much research and even keep up a certain "Tolkien-feeling". I also applaud your courage to write a Legolas-romance despite the risk that every character who Legolas falls in love with will be called a Mary Sue (most of them are, I'm afraid). However, Aewen is a refreshing change from all those Marys and I absolutely adore that. Thank you for not making her a better archer or swordswoman than Legolas. That would have been ridiculous.
Anyway, I have to read on! Enjoy the holidays,
yours Odyssey :)
P.S. You've done it now - I'm adding this story to my favourites!
ElfPrincess118 chapter 15 . 8/12/2003
Wow. This is a very nice piece of cannon, and you REALLY did your homework. I have to admit the whole Elrohir/Haldir thing kinda freaked me out, but you were very accurate in describing it as natural feelings, so it didn't put me off from your story. All in all, this is one the best pieces of fan fiction I've read so far. You're a fantastic writer and it seems like writing comes naturally for you. I really hope you finnish it!
lome chapter 8 . 7/15/2003
Good pacing, nice grammar, and yes- nice romance.
lindsey chapter 15 . 7/8/2003
Wow! This is a REALLY good story, one of the best I have ever read! You are a good writer. You should continue this story. No, you HAVE to finish this story. I insist! Or, maybe, I beg you! please finish the story! PLEASE!
PuterPatty chapter 2 . 5/13/2003
I told you you were getting more from me. I'll be back, I assure you.

And yes, mayelbrid, this is far from a Mary Sue. You have definitely achieved that. Aewen has developed into a rich character, and I'm still dying to know how and why she is an elf? What's the reason?

You must continue this story so I can have an answer! Please? Pretty please? With an elf on top?
Kitty2228 chapter 15 . 5/11/2003
hey mayelbrid,

I just started reading your fic today after checking PuterPatty for updates and finding her advertising your story. I must say that I really agree with her judgement here and think that it would be a shame if you didn't continue this story. I absolutely love the Elrohir/Haldir relationship here, and I can't wait to see how it turns out. SO PLEASE CONTINUE YOUR WRITING! If you ever need support, or someone to bounce ideas off of feel free to give me an e-mail, I think that you're talented, your story is very origional, so don't stop!

Love from your new fan,

Kitty!
PuterPatty chapter 1 . 5/11/2003
LOL.

Okay, mayelbrid, this is your first of many reviews from me begging you to find the inspiration to take up this story again. I just reread parts of it, and I am still so in love with it. You absolutely cannOT leave me hanging like this. It is cruel punishment. So please, please, PLEASE consider continuing this. It is truly an amazing story!

::Legolas' puppy dog eyes::
Nethene Khthon chapter 15 . 3/18/2003
I don't even know what to say. Wow. Fantastic.

I've always had a problem reading Tolkien's works because his stories had such a sense of long-held sorrow and entropy. And as a compliment, I tell you that I had nearly as much trouble getting through the too-short 15 chapters you have here!

The vast emotion you've managed to imbue in each character is palpable, and were I not so cruel-hearted, I'd be crying. The old characters remind me of those I've long loved, and the new ones sprout trees in my heart. Particularly Aewen, with her deep innocence and passionate love.

Your style of writing adds to both the Tolkein-feel and the very emotional, character driven, new-feel that is all your own. I particularly enjoyed the interweaving of seperate scenes. Very visual. No part seems strained over the other, or overdone. Even the heart-crushing bits were there and then the story moved, though the pain remains as an undertone.

I wish there was more. I hope you find new inspiration and finish this fantastic work of fiction that does great justice to the master for whom it is a fanwork.
Iluvenis chapter 1 . 3/8/2003
Hi!

Im very sad! why arent you writting more?

PLeaz! at least explain whats happening, because the story is great! REALLY!

Im SO sad! !_!

i want more! write, update, whatever! now! lol

please!
allafricannirish chapter 15 . 2/3/2003
I wish that you would finish the story. If you dont feel like writing any more then just post up a time line of what happens. But i want to know what Legolas finds at Mirkwood. So far this story is really cute but also sad. Good use of the elvish eyes!
Nishy chapter 8 . 1/30/2003
::squeaks:: Ohhhhhhhhh...

I really did squeak. That sort of emotional "awwwww!" squeak.

I still love the language. It's got a Tolkieny flavour to it but holds its own, style-wise.

Must read the rest tomorrow. Yay!