Reviews for A History of Valentine's
jennyVDL93 chapter 1 . 10/26/2016
I LOVE THIS VERY MUCH, thank you for writing this.
And the history background ummmmmhhhh nyummy~
clokinz chapter 1 . 11/11/2015
OH LORD OH LORD OH LORD! I've never been so giddy in my life! GOD that was ROMANTIC! That puzzle purse was...ngghh...melted me on the spot! And I usually cringe at such romances. But THIS! Ohhhhh the bliss! 3
Diurnal Days chapter 1 . 7/29/2015
This fic was absolutely perfect. It brought warm tears of fluffiness and joy to my eyes when I read it, which is not something that happens very often! Also, I really love that you implemented juicy St. Valentine's Day trivia into this story. Learning historical trivia from Hetalia fics immediately bolsters the joys of reading fanfiction, after all. I also feel like you captured the feeling of every era very well. I felt like I was actually there with America and England, despite the minimal description of every scene. All in all, I think your writing is awesome!
robot3 chapter 1 . 3/6/2015
asdjskfsjdkdfjfdkjfskfsjaklfjkdsjfalksfjadsjfklsdjdsklfjaljf
oh my god oh my god oh my god
The Bellow chapter 1 . 3/28/2013
Okay, so that has to be the sweetest thing I have ever read in my life - screw the diabetes.

Your characterization of the happy couple has to be one of the best I've read thus far (the bit about England sweeping "imperiously" out of his tent is something that has stuck with me). I love the way all of the traditions over the years came together in America's gift at the end: the research on your end should be applauded.

Thank you so much for this!
JigglyJelloWithCoconut chapter 1 . 3/9/2013
Such a sweet and cute story! Loved the concept of their Vanlentines Day throughout the centuries.

P.s. All I could think about during the 2012 part was the movie Leap Year, lol. :D
Corey5268 chapter 1 . 3/7/2013
Aw, cute! I loved the story!
XDAsakichanDX chapter 1 . 10/30/2012
i love this so much 3
Princess Twila chapter 1 . 8/18/2012
I know I already reviewed this, but I had to review again because I love it so much!
This is totally how I want to be proposed to. :D
Zeplerfer chapter 1 . 6/1/2012
I absolutely love all of the historical traditions you've worked into your story, particularly the puzzle purse and the floriography. The verse quoted from In Memoriam A.H.H. is also simply perfect, especially when I looked up the poem and saw that it was written by *Alfred* Tennyson for his friend *Arthur* Henry Hallam.

The only part of this fic that I thought was a little strange was Alfred proposing marriage at the very end. Shouldn't he ask Arthur on a date first? I suppose when you've been pining for 200 years it's understandable that you would skip a few steps, but I thought the proposal was a little rushed.

Thank you again for the lovely fic and the wonderful history lesson!
Mooncatcher chapter 1 . 5/9/2012
I absolutely adore all the unique history and details you've packed into this and how well it illustrates the relationship between America and England. It's lovely. 3
nougatface chapter 1 . 5/8/2012
This was so perfect and definitely deserves more reviews. Not only were the traditions interesting to learn about, they also (of course) fit really well into the romance story. The puzzle purse was especially captivating and the message it transported in the story gave me goosebumps 3

Instead of writing on about all the little things I loved, I'll just favourite.
the world goes chapter 1 . 5/5/2012
This was so good to read! Very well written and developed; I loved to see the progression of their complicated relationship. The end was so perfect. I loved it!

~cyn
Helisse chapter 1 . 5/5/2012
This is gorgeous. I love how you incorporated all those customs and interesting info into the story. Great job :)
Speadee chapter 1 . 4/17/2012
I liked how you used "Hetalia" characters to write the history of Valentine's Day. Good job showing the love between America and England spanning over 2 centuries! I like all those coincidences that happened. Then again, maybe they weren't coincidences. Well, England is into curses and magic, so he would know those divinations.

Little America was so cute! That was creative of you to come up with how America became obsessed with being a hero.

You fit in the historical figures as well as the Valentine's Day strip well. Thanks for the history lesson! I didn't know most of the things about the holiday and history. For example, I didn't know President Fillmore was a bookworm who started the White House library, and often disagreed with his citizens. All I remember was the impression that I remember that most of the earlier presidents being unpleasant. I also didn't know about the Clayton-Bulwer Treaty, Honduras' involvement, battles in Tunisia, General Fredendall, or America's defeat by the Germans. Then again, maybe I forgot since my history is bad. You really know your history. You must be a history major, or like history.

I did not have a good impression on Germany when I was a child, so I can believe Germany (or should I say Hitler and his followers) doing such terrible things to England and America. The Axis did a lot of evil things, and "Hetalia" makes the Axis look good. The series reminded me that you can't use a person to portray a country. For example, it isn't the country of Germany that's evil, but Hitler and the Nazis.

To tell the truth, you showed the same thing well in your fanfic: can't use a person to characterize a country. One of the ways was not going into detail on the American Revolution, the War of 1812, or WWI, because it would get too violent and emotional, and wouldn't fit well with the story.

Good job on the characters! It is like America to be stupid and late and England to be impatient and controlling. Actually, Americans learning from the defeat in Tunisia shows that America is actually not stupid, which is another example of being unable to use a person to portray a whole country. Still, I like how you described France's character through some of his citizens.

Then, as usual, we have England and France fighting. I'm glad you showed that their conflicts played a big role in American history.

After England demanded America to explain, wouldn't a few other countries agree with Germany and ask England to wait on personal and embarrassing issues? Did America know about the world meeting's location ahead of time? I was thinking that he could have had England's Valentine's gift sent to him in advance, so he could have brought it with him, saving that morning trip to the post office. Then again, if the present was made in England, then France would be much closer, so it would probably have been easier for the citizens. The problems was also a good way to show how postal service is getting worse.

I'm glad things worked out for them. I hope they didn't upset or get in trouble with the other countries. I bet France, Spain, and Prussia enjoyed it since they're flirts. The Italy brothers are flirts, too, so they would probably like it. Prussia and North Italy will probably get in trouble with Germany later for not focusing on important things.