Reviews for Almost Like Flying
ZyteWCDb chapter 1 . 2/3
W-well... This was horrific.

Excellently written, but jaysus fuck was it an uncomfortable experience all the way trough. Good work. Please don't do it again.
maguena1 chapter 1 . 1/25
Amazing writing that tore me up. I thought at the end she was attacking Krin, because it has been built up as so inevitable, her slideaway from herself. Then I went to read other reviews, and realized she's facing Lyra at the end and calling herself Skir again, and it was such a relief, but bittersweet, because what the human did caused an irrevocable loss for Skir.

I do feel that one aspect was a little weak - you describe the nightmarish sensory deprivation of being inside the pokeball so well and then just... don't do much of anything with it. I thought that having to face that nothingness would be a very large part of what forces a wild pokemon to start seeing their trainer as the source of all goodness. The hunger strike, the slow breakdown under the weight of pain and monotony, all of that feels painfully real, and then you have the mental cage, for which there is a lot less of a real-world equivalent, so it, while horrifying in its way, doesn't strike as deeply as the other things.

That question which the scyther can laugh off but not fully shake off, even when they're wild, about whether humans actually do make pokemon 'better'... that feels like the real mental cage. It undermines Skir subtly from the very beginning - hats off to you for writing that. Skir genuinely comes off as someone whose desires are fairly simple, but who is not any less a person for that, and so when her world narrows down to the desire to gain approval, to the point she barely feels anything about losing her wings, that is a huge loss.

Then there's the humans' utterly limited 'kindness' and 'friendship' being talked up and treated as far more than it is; Skir's attempts to still be winning amidst so many losses; the whole backstory and friendship between Krin and Skir; and you have so many wonderful touches, I can't even list them all.
Heroaki chapter 1 . 9/18/2019
I don't know if you're active but I want you to know this is so amazing yet heartwrenching. God, I want to cry. I must've said "fuck you" a million times while ranting to myself before coming back and writing this. This has to be the most like I said earlier Heartwrenching fanfic ever and just compacted into one fucking chapter. I can't even. Good job, you've made me cry in under 10 minutes even funerals, millions of sad movies and anime couldn't do it in a long time. So I must say, with an amazing job and a sarcastic "Fuck you" I shall adjourn you amazing bastard.
Tobalerone chapter 1 . 6/8/2019
Damn that open ending though. This perspective on Pokemon training fucked me up. I enjoyed it very much
Zyrothe chapter 1 . 1/30/2019
Jesus Christ, I feel nauseous just reading this.
a person chapter 1 . 12/14/2018
o fuck
Azi chapter 1 . 10/18/2018
God. god. No god no. Words fail me. There are tears in my eyes. This is so masterfully, so well written, that it never quite sinks in until the end how heartbreaking it will be.
Appna chapter 1 . 7/24/2018
This fic is just filled with hurt and pain...

I hate it and at the same time love the perspective. Great work.
Mal chapter 1 . 2/26/2018
oh god. wow. this... this makes me think, feel, hurt...
The Richmaster chapter 1 . 1/16/2018
That's... damn, just damn; you did a really good job of showing the kinds of mental effects that could be implied in Pokemon
Fencer22 chapter 1 . 1/13/2018
God that was horrifyingly beautiful.
Elven-in-name chapter 1 . 12/17/2017
I can't believe it. Just like White Fang.
anonymous chapter 1 . 11/19/2017
I.. there are no words. This is amazing. The characterization, the interpretation of the world - just- holy crap.
This works has gotten me more emotional than most published novels. Infinite kudos to you, dear writer.
I need to lie down and rethink everything about Pokemon for a little while right now.
BlackHum3r chapter 1 . 11/5/2017
...welp, scythers been ruined for life now. I also regret calling my pokemon names like "buttface" or "worthless" or "PCTrash"...
Umbruhon chapter 1 . 5/30/2017
Oh my gosh! That gave me chills. I love it!