Reviews for Almost Like Flying
FoggyFrog chapter 1 . 12/14/2012
Oh my gosh this story is beautiful. I've often wondered what it would be like to be caught and how wild pokemon were forced to obey their trainer once they were caught. This story captured all of the brilliant sadness of it so well. At the same time, Lyra isn't presented as a bad person, just acting as she has been taught to act to be a pokemon trainer and unaware of the full situation. Kudos to you so much!
Kissy Fishy chapter 1 . 12/3/2012
Oh my gosh. That was so beautiful and heart wrenching. I want to cry.
chronodekar chapter 1 . 11/14/2012
I ... think I feel like crying.

-chronodekar
Ishi Bana-Bana chapter 1 . 11/2/2012
...This makes me feel so emo...so, very, incredibly emo...
HiddenLore chapter 1 . 11/1/2012
Awesome story, I loved your explanation as to how pokemon are controlled by the Pokeball, and I always like stories that can make me feel guilty for having so many boxed pokemon.
Excellent dialog, and storytelling as well, you actually become quite attached to Skir, and feel her as you move through the story.
Mal chapter 1 . 11/1/2012
wowe! This was really good. I enjoied reading this. Good plot, wonderful characterisation, and the story had heart. I felt along with her, and am moved by this fic.

Nicely done!
Mal
Tanon chapter 1 . 11/1/2012
Not a big fan of the straight out mind-control take on pokeball capture, not because I don't like it, but because it doesn't deal with the behaviour of abandoned pokemon. It doesn't take much to know that Skir knows that she is being mentally constrained with those waves of nausea (otherwise this would have been an extremely short oneshot). News that pokeballs definitely had some kind of mental effect on pokemon would not stay unknown for long, so I don't think that the concept fully works. I would have preferred something more subtle (such as a continuous readjustment of her values over time), making the fic less horrifying but more sinister. However, I did like how the pokeball first introduced her to what she had been caught in and had a detailed explanation of how ordering worked.

It got in the way of my enjoyment of it just a little, but it was only something that occurred near the end, and her reaction upon evolving was probably the highlight of the entire oneshot (I didn't expect it because I don't actually know pokemon very well - I knew scyther evolved into scizor, but I didn't know it only happened via trading). I guess that the most heartbreaking thing about the ending is that by choosing to kill Lyra, Skir pretty much gives up any chance of acceptance from anyone, since you detailed the prejudice felt by the wild scyther towards other captured pokemon earlier on in the fic and she also looses the artificial feeling of acceptance that she had shared with Lyra. I'd expected her to kill Krin and initially thought that was the case, but a careful reading changed my mind.

Amazing one shot. Not more I can say.
The Anguished One chapter 1 . 10/21/2012
Being a huge fan of Pokemon, all I can say is this story is brilliant and I pray the games aren't actually like his, because I'd feel horrible every time I caught a pokemon.
Padfoot Arcanine chapter 1 . 8/9/2012
Wow...

I'm not really sure what to say. But this was absolutely wonderful. Nicely written, chilling concept. Just wonderful. Keep up the great work!
dArkliTe-sPirit chapter 1 . 7/23/2012
.OhgodpoorSkir.

I really wish I could come up with a more coherent review than that, but for me the worst part of this - even at the end, she's still recognizable as that Scyther from the start. She's not completely broken, just enough to see what she's become. And just the fact Lyra isn't even aware of it - just thinking she's doing the right thing - every word is precisely used to just stick that emotional knife in my gut and twist it, and it WORKS.
Master Bleach chapter 1 . 7/23/2012
Such a sad story.
Beautifully done, excellent characterization, with Skir's despair being well paced.
Guest chapter 1 . 7/12/2012
Sir or Madam, you have crafted a piece of beautiful, terrible prose. You have made me incredibly sad and i strongly dislike you for this. (;_;)

Seriously though, good story, it flowed nicely and the narrative really captured Skir's feelings, even though i wished that Lyra would be disemboweled and Skir would escape with Krin, i kind of knew you weren't going to go with that cop-out. You almost made me feel guilty for playing Pokemon.

I also really liked the box scene, and just, everything about this story was awesomely depressing and bleak. I will never put a Pokemon in the box again.
Yonkonkaroo Amora chapter 1 . 7/11/2012
I don't want to play Pokemon anymore ; - ;
Shaylynne chapter 1 . 7/4/2012
omg.
It's...
Anonymous chapter 1 . 6/9/2012
I came here from the tvtropes fanfics reccommendation page. This is great, the only thing that bothers me here is the lack of reviews. This one definitely deserves to be on the rec. page.
68 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 Next »