Reviews for Almost Like Flying
dArkliTe-sPirit chapter 1 . 7/23/2012
.OhgodpoorSkir.

I really wish I could come up with a more coherent review than that, but for me the worst part of this - even at the end, she's still recognizable as that Scyther from the start. She's not completely broken, just enough to see what she's become. And just the fact Lyra isn't even aware of it - just thinking she's doing the right thing - every word is precisely used to just stick that emotional knife in my gut and twist it, and it WORKS.
Master Bleach chapter 1 . 7/23/2012
Such a sad story.
Beautifully done, excellent characterization, with Skir's despair being well paced.
Guest chapter 1 . 7/12/2012
Sir or Madam, you have crafted a piece of beautiful, terrible prose. You have made me incredibly sad and i strongly dislike you for this. (;_;)

Seriously though, good story, it flowed nicely and the narrative really captured Skir's feelings, even though i wished that Lyra would be disemboweled and Skir would escape with Krin, i kind of knew you weren't going to go with that cop-out. You almost made me feel guilty for playing Pokemon.

I also really liked the box scene, and just, everything about this story was awesomely depressing and bleak. I will never put a Pokemon in the box again.
Yonkonkaroo Amora chapter 1 . 7/11/2012
I don't want to play Pokemon anymore ; - ;
Shaylynne chapter 1 . 7/4/2012
omg.
It's...
Anonymous chapter 1 . 6/9/2012
I came here from the tvtropes fanfics reccommendation page. This is great, the only thing that bothers me here is the lack of reviews. This one definitely deserves to be on the rec. page.
ChihiroAyasato chapter 1 . 4/18/2012
[There is a feeling of terrifying lightness and then it's like the world is still there but she's been dissolved and compressed and compacted into a singular tiny point in space. She can't see, but she can feel the ground beneath her and hear echoes of sounds.]

I loved this, it was brilliant. POKEBALL

So POKEBALL terrifying.

Plunging forward at POKEBALL a fast pace.

Yet also eerily slow when it finally POKEBALL latches into your mind.

YOU. HaVE. NOw.

o

w.

*click*
Andelevion chapter 1 . 4/8/2012
My god. What have I read. (Skir, alkjd;lka;nfkas) I WANT to cry.
Chrysa Lite chapter 1 . 3/25/2012
Oh, God. How could something this epic only have 5 reviews? It's on TV tropes, for goodness' sake! O.o God. Is this really what we do to these Pokemon? Do we really...?
Unsigned chapter 1 . 2/25/2012
So... very... Orwellian...
anthropomorphizer chapter 1 . 1/26/2012
Well, that was pretty awesome. A very unique take on the caught pokemon's experience. Keep up the great work!
The Warrior of Many Faces chapter 1 . 1/20/2012
This is really well done. You've detailed Skir's loss of identity so well that I actually forgot her name near the end, and with such emotion that I'm feeling really guilty about training Pokemon at all. In a way, it's scary; I've played Mystery Dungeon enough to have an idea of what being a Pokemon is like...and then I read this and imagine it happening to ME...*shudder*.

The even scarier thing is that Lyra has NO IDEA what she's doing! She is completely unaware that she's torturing and enslaving sentient beings, and when you consider how many trainers there are in the world...*shudder again*.

So well-written, and so terrifying...you have a potential future in horror novels, I think, if you can take a children's game and make it like this.
Dragonfree chapter 1 . 1/20/2012
Damn you. You nearly made me start sobbing during a lecture.

I'm not much for the "rar mindrape" view of Pokémon training personally, but this is just a really well-developed story. Although it's all fairly predictable, you have so many things going on here that add to the horror and tragedy of the whole thing that it doesn't really matter; even having expected the whole story that she'd end up fighting Krin again but being unable to break away from Lyra, it was still tangibly heartbreaking to read. The overarching theme of her love of flying underlines everything beautifully, and the way she gets used to Lyra's ridiculous and ever-changing nicknames alongside her general acceptance of being trained subtly helps bind together the twistedness of it all.

That said... Scyther and Typhlosion can't breed. You otherwise stick very closely to the mechanics of the game, so it's very jarring to suddenly see something as intuitively in-world as breeding compatibility merrily ignored. While having it be Blaze rather than some random male bug Pokémon that doesn't appear elsewhere in the story works for the narrative, it just kind of took me out of the story for that whole bit.

Also, this sentence doesn't seem to make sense: "She lashes out feebly, one more time, and then sinks back into cage surrounds her, welcomes her, takes her comfortingly into itself, and she can't fight back anymore." I think you're missing a word or two around the cage bit.

Wonderful job otherwise.
Farla chapter 1 . 1/19/2012
Well, that was absolutely horrifying.

I like how you develop the scythers at the beginning. And it's nice to see one who isn't interested in fighting but also who, despite that, is still chowing down on other pokemon, it's an aversion of both ends of the usual cliches about them. And everything after that is just so painful. I was expecting her to be upset over evolution and the loss of her wings, only for what actually happens to be so much worse because that's not even what she was most upset about.

My only issue with this is I feel like you cheated a bit by having the pokeballs be outright mindrape to the point they control her thoughts. It does make the whole thing that much worse because of how there's no way out, but I liked the subtler creepiness of her getting attached to her trainer over time and being convinced everything was normal and good by the other pokemon.
59 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4