Reviews for Gaara's Gift
Mukuro234 chapter 1 . 6/26/2013
Hehe this is a cute fic
TeamJemTeamMalec chapter 1 . 1/19/2013
I love it, this is so sweet. This is my first story of yours I've read, so I'm definately going to go to your profile in, oh, thirty seconds, to check out your other work. Great job!
wlkwos chapter 1 . 1/20/2012
This is a really sweet and funny little fic, weaving humour and emotion together to create a heart-warming story about Gaara's birthday. He's surrounded by love now - the love of his siblings, of Tengha, of his friends - but he's not entirely certain that he'll ever receive the one love that he really wants. I do like the way that the endings to your Gaara and Naruto stories are left ambiguous, as the reader can choose to interpret them as either friendship or something more. Here, it's plain that Gaara has feelings for Naruto, but the question is: does Naruto return them?

I noticed that the story can be divided into comedic parts, largely focused on Kankuro and Temari, and more serious parts, focused on Gaara himself. Naruto's scenes start off light-hearted, but when he catches up with Gaara, the mood changes. Having the tone change according to the main characters of each scene works fairly well, I think, especially since Gaara is not known for his humour, but rather his introspection. This is highlighted by his return home, where he is quickly overwhelmed by his squabbling siblings (did Temari create or cremate a cake, hmm?), and retreats upstairs to think for a bit. And it's not just the tone but also the style that shifts: the humour is largely delivered in dialogue form with little to no description of the characters' thoughts and actions, keeping the pace quick and snappy, whilst the more serious scenes have much less dialogue, longer paragraphs, and offer insight into Gaara's feelings and thoughts instead.

Tengha had me slightly confused at first, as I racked my mind to recollect who she was, but when she transformed into a cat, I figured that she must be an OC. Despite the initial confusion, I was very happy that you did not derail the story to give us more information on her, simply sliding her in and making it known through her actions that she can change her shape, and that she knows and likes Naruto - the latter a plot-significant piece of information, as she makes it clear on her card that she wants Naruto to be there as well, which allows the readers their first glimpse of Gaara's feelings for the other boy.

Whilst the first three-quarters of the fic are, for the most part, light-hearted, the scene of Gaara at his mother's grave was poignant, especially in light of chapter 547. Naruto, of course, soon lifts the mood again - he does have a way with words at times, does that boy - but their conversation is still very, very touching, coming as it does from two orphaned children (young men, whatever) whose mothers loved them deeply. And the gift of the rare cactus was very sweet, from the crudely painted pot to Naruto's sudden nervousness when Gaara does not respond, made even sweeter by the knowledge that Naruto enjoys gardening. The final scene is itself a similar mixture of heartwarming and poignant, with Gaara's acceptance that he will always be an important person to Naruto, even if the true depth of his own feelings is never revealed nor reciprocated. The closing lines may be read to give him some hope, though, even if he suspects that Naruto dreams of "noodles and pink haired girls". I do love the ambiguity of the endings - viewed from one angle, it's a story about unrequited but accepting love, and from another, it's about two young men who are bad at expressing their real feelings. Nicely and sensitively done.

Oh, and glitter in his gourd? Oh, Kankuro ...
TigrezzTail chapter 1 . 1/18/2012
Very nicely done. Just the right amount of longing and contentment. I was wondering why the little cat girl was there, but she works nonetheless. Very cute by the way.