Reviews for All Or Nothing
Rosage chapter 1 . 2/11/2012
I really like the insight into Serra's character here, the motivations hidden under the bravado. I do like that the bravado itself has calmed down over years of maturation and hardship, and that you show the effects that FE7's war had on its characters. It's so heart-breaking, but so terribly real that so many of them would be dead or in danger. I could feel Serra's grief and her terror that others would join them, and her need for Oswin to not be one of them. I love their relationship and Serra's insistence that she would accompany him. Seeing that little spark of old self at the end made me smile. The grief and worry affected her but could not wear her down completely.
Lupi Loop chapter 1 . 1/19/2012
I love Serra and Oswin and for a little writing practice this was excellent, and kinda sad if you know how the story goes from here...
TheFreelancerSeal chapter 1 . 1/19/2012
Quite rusty, my eye. This was just as good as anything else I've read by you. I remember how Erk would always be annoyed by Serra. It's been that long since I played so I don't remember much about her, but I'd say you did her well. I'd say she's still got that headstrong quality about her, with her saying 'no' so much to her husband. Then wanting to go with him was just like her.

It's got its sad moments when you read about how a lot of her friends have died. It gives it more weight. I mean it'd be sad if she lost Oswin, but it's even sadder when you pretty much know that he's all she has left. I also liked how you wrote the wavier in her voice. I could almost hear it, if that makes sense.

I also found that last line a bit funny. "Whatever would you and Lord Hector do without me?" After brushing over one of her supports, it sounds just like her. And after such sad pieces, it's nice to see a lighter ending, even if it ends with her going to war beside Oswin.

You did this story very well.
Xirysa chapter 1 . 1/18/2012
Oh dear, Sain. :c

But I liked this! I liked your portrayal of Serra a lot; she's matured a lot, but she's still got that fire that makes her stand out. And I think her decision, at the end, was very fitting of her character.

I do feel that whatever was left intentionally vague almost made the story itself seem almost incomplete, in a way (not that I should really be talking about vagueness, aha). Specifically near the end, where it got more into the interaction with Oswin and Serra. But overall, I feel like the point came across clearly enough, so. Yes. I liked this, especially the realism of the wartime situation. Keep it up!

[Xirysa]
Mark of the Asphodel chapter 1 . 1/18/2012
Rusty? I like this. A lot. I think this was a very convincing portrayal of Serra.

"and wondering every time I hear about an orphanage if it's L-Lucius"

Aww. How realistic. And... Sain. :(

But really, those kinds of details- that some might make it home, but not for long- add so much to a story.
kittykatloren chapter 1 . 1/18/2012
Ah, a rather more realistic look at what would happen after the war... Whenever I play the game, I'm OCD so no one ever dies, and so it feels like all the endings are happily-ever-after. Of course, in real war that wouldn't happen. And the whole communication deal - in modern times, it's so easy to talk to people halfway across the planet that we take it for granted how hard it would be for those friendships to stay intact. You can't just up and visit people in another country for the weekend back then.

I really liked all that, very true to the times. On the other hand, I think in this fic you could have gone deeper with their emotions on the matter? I don't think you need to explain the exact situation, I like it vague, but perhaps a little more of Serra thinking about what her future will really be like with Oswin gone at war... Can she go with him? Does she want to? Strong as Serra is, you definitely show that the war scars her... so maybe show a little more how that affects her feelings about this.

I always love seeing new FE fic from you! 3

- Kitty
Sardonic Kender Smile chapter 1 . 1/18/2012
Stop saying this is baaaaad. Goodness!

As always, the emotion comes through very strongly. My heart started hurting when I realized that Oswin would have to leave Serra to go to war! But you also captured Serra just perfectly-complaining about it, resisting it, but eventually getting up to do something about it, and too bad for anyone who decided to stop her. Loved that.

Also in typical Manna fashion, we see the Oh-RIGHT-I-never-thought-about-that thing. This time, for me at least, it's the idea of people dying of wounds after the final battle. That had never crossed my mind; I'd always assumed that if they survived, they survived. But that really wasn't the case up until the 20th century, eh? Wounds were really serious, a person could take weeks to heal, and sometimes they ended up dying after all of it. That was a really great touch, with Sain.

[and wondering every time I hear about an orphanage if it's L-Lucius] This also is like the most poignant and saddest thing ever.

I guess if there were something to concrit, it'd be this part: ["I've lost too much already, too many people! Parents who said they'd come back but never did, friends who said they'd write but disappeared, my closest and most beloved friend—"] It seemed a little too expository for me, like something she wouldn't actually say to Oswin, her husband, because he'd already KNOW all that. The reader doesn't, of course, so I know that's why you put it there. Most of what I critique nowadays is original fiction, though, and I know that exposition works differently in fanfiction, so you can take that opinion with a grain of salt.

Overall I really enjoyed it. Also, TOLD YOU SO. I hope you get that next chapter up soon!

Love,