Reviews for The General's Story
NickTonyK chapter 1 . 10/29/2013
Excellent!
FloatingPizza chapter 1 . 1/11/2013
I like the POV you're working with in this story- 1st person works well in this setup! Also, I found the technique of having a sort of frame story effective and interesting.
You know, I almost went and wrote something like this myself, being intrigued with General von Scheider's character, but before I started anything I checked the Internet and found this little tidbit. I would have had von Schieder and Staufen- I love that you mentioned him, by the way- in much closer cahoots, and there probably would have been lots of drama and angsty Germans. Your story here makes a lot more sense than mine probably would have, though :)
Goldleaf83 chapter 1 . 1/22/2012
Another great canon rewrite: you do a marvelous job in establishing the psychological motivations for General von Scheider and making him a deeper and interesting character. His expressed dislike for Hitler in the show is given background and greater plausibility, especially with his overall intentions to make sure the invasion goes well for the Allies. Nice allusion to “Operation Briefcase” – it fits your plot arc perfectly for Von Scheider and Stauffen to be in cahoots.

You also show his love for Lilli quite convincingly and make it very touching. I like your resolution to the story, as brought off by Hogan in your brilliant postscript for the episode, and the overall conversational frame too, which gives both a reason and an occasion for Von Scheider to tell his story and allows the marvelous ending: perfectly sweet, without tipping into the sentimental. A lovely story!
konarciq chapter 1 . 1/21/2012
Finally - the promised sequel. :-) Thank you thank you thank you!

This explains a lot of his actions, more than Lilli's story did. The whole thing with him being grateful to become Kommandant suddenly made a lot more sense!

Intriguing, too, the difference between the two stories. Lilli's tale is an emotional rollercoaster, whereas this one is almost distant in its voice - even though it's a first person narrative. Told afterwards of course instead of in the present tense. And I don't expect a full general to get all emotional in a report to his jailor ;-) but I do think it a pity that we get to see so very little of his feelings. He's too good at hiding them, I suppose!

One question remains though. How on earth did a big shot general in nazi Germany get away with marrying a lady of the enemy? :-P
snooky chapter 1 . 1/20/2012
Hurray for the happy ending. I shall have to watch this episode again, and look for the signs that all is not what it seems. You have a talent for taking canon and exploring the what-ifs in a meaningful way.
Six of Twelve chapter 1 . 1/19/2012
Bravo, a happy ending. Now, if they could have made the episode a two parter and this as the second part.
dust on the wind chapter 1 . 1/19/2012
Yet another beautifully nuanced reinterpretation of canon, from the master hand. You've done a lovely job of creating a sympathetic personality, one we can believe Lilli would fall in love with, but still found a way to justify his actions within the episode.

I'll definitely view "D-Day" with this characterisation in mind from now on.

dust...
buggleston chapter 1 . 1/19/2012
Well done! Glad to see that the general was able to have a happy ending to his story.
Canadian Hogan's Fan chapter 1 . 1/19/2012
Beautiful. Your explanation of General von Scheider's motivations and they way you reunited them is absolutely wonderful. Your writing is superb as usual. You've actually warmed my heart by the end of this. Wonderful job.
ColHogan chapter 1 . 1/19/2012
Very interesting take but from the General's POV. I always wondered what happened to him at the end of the episode. I liked him as well as the actor who portrayed him. I knew he loved his wife very much, but I had a sense that perhaps she didn't love him as much as a wife should and that was why she had no objection to returning to England. Also, that after three years of being undercover, I believe she was tired and wanted to return home. JMHO.
Jinzle chapter 1 . 1/19/2012
You made me cry again. :) Beautiful. I'm glad that he had a happy ending. They both deserved it.
80sarcades chapter 1 . 1/19/2012
Interesting take from the General's standpoint! Hopefully the poor guy was able to reclaim his love and live out a decent life. Nicely done, and a good read!