Reviews for R&D
erik chapter 7 . 8/18
A great fun read.
Blackholelord chapter 7 . 4/12
Okay this is a nice crossover story, rather unique read.
Netchka3 chapter 7 . 3/30
Cute. I like Red Dwarf and Lister is my favorite character. He's the underdog.
cko2 chapter 7 . 1/13
This is two funny.
twilightserius chapter 7 . 12/15/2014
poor android needs more love
twilightserius chapter 4 . 12/13/2014
wahaha lmafo oh god i wanna join. read more later
uo-chou chapter 7 . 12/3/2014
Awesome!
frytrix chapter 7 . 10/25/2014
Hurry up and give us a New Chapter allready.
VizeerLord chapter 7 . 10/18/2014
Update please.
Avid Reader403 chapter 2 . 9/27/2014
I love the reference to Magic ;)
Though, I would imagine the ornithopter to be larger then that. Though on the other hand, I you're going more for humor than anything else.

Avid Reader
deadal chapter 7 . 9/26/2014
nice! i would have illustred the " negligible " cost by describing as 1/2 hr of mining and 2 of processing but otherwise, as dammely funny as usual!
celf chapter 7 . 9/20/2014
love this.
hope to see more lots more soon
Perfect Lionheart chapter 6 . 9/20/2014
I know you're probably not looking for any more ideas or suggestions, specially after the last time, but I've kept having thoughts on this bubble up.

According to the wiki, in the remake of the Battlestar Galactica series the human refugee fleet consisted of 64 ships, including the Galactica itself, of which the total population was just a hair under 50,000 humans (plus some cylon infiltrators, of course).

The Galactica took a crew of 5,000, where the more modern Mercury class Battlestars required only half of that, just exactly half in fact: 2,500, and were larger and better armed. Several systems on both, notably gunnery, were fully automated.

It strikes me that one Galactica and 63 other ships representing anything that could fly is just not all that secure when compared to 20 Mercury class battlestars that would move the same population, but at least possess automated defenses. I mean, if it can do nothing but move itself and let its automated defense guns fire, that's still better off than should a cylon fighter get in among unarmed civilian ships. And those battlestars possess armor and other systems designed to spare them excessive damage should they come under fire, systems that luxury liners and the like are rather notably lacking.

It's not perfect, nothing is ever perfect. But attacking battleships with automated guns is just harder than attacking unarmed freighters, even if they are moving the same cargo.

As far as crews, I know they could not possibly crew 20 battlestars to their full potential. But they did get 63 civilian vessels moving as part of that fleet, and those ships are getting scrapped for rawmats. So they've got 63 civilian crews to reassign. Since those people already handled the basics of navigation and star jumping well enough to follow along, they ought to at least be able to continue doing that much. Plus, the Galactica crew is dropping from 5,000 to 2,500 as that vessel gets upgraded too, and that's more than enough to put over a hundred military personnel on each of the 19 other battlestars, which would not be enough to run them at their full military capacity, naturally, but certainly enough to fill certain critical positions and drop a little helpful instruction to the rest of their new shipmates.

And if any cylon attackers should get a little confused as to which 19 battlestars have nurseries and kindergartens in their viper bays instead of fighters, so what? That just makes it harder for them to target which key thing they've got to destroy to eliminate most of your defenses. And that also means that should the Galactica ever get hurt or damaged, they could transfer over the vipers and military crew to another ship and almost immediately resume the defense.

Obviously something has to be done to secure the computers. I don't know what, but Willow would. Best defense might just be to fragment the network a bit, as most parts do not require any outside communications. That's just a convenience, a very convenient convenience for some things, but less necessary for others.

All of that out of the way, they've got several problems. One of the biggest is that, once the appeared in this galaxy the Red Dwarf, having a human on board, they became a valid target for the cylons - and I doubt that freighter has much of anything in the way of defenses.

While it would tickle me endlessly if they were to upgrade their giant garbage truck to look instead like a giant battlestar, I won't press it.

No, I will simply observe that the Red Dwarf is too big to defend, and now that it has become involved with the human fleet, the cylon spies will have sent word of it ahead, so now it is on the enemy target list. So sooner or later, they are going to be attacked, and you'd need more than a hundred viper squadrons to be able to give that vast expanse of ship even adequate coverage. It's just too big.

So I rather suspect they will be attacked and forced to run away, but they won't have space fold hyperspace capability for some time yet, so in any race they must inevitably lose - and that might force them to use the one method they do have of running away effectively: the Holly Hop drive. Just load in the whole human race and go.

And just where would they go to? Why, if they should set the Holly Hop for the minimum possible change, that should lead them to a gender-switched battlestar remake series, should it not? And now you have perfect gender equity among the human fleet! Best chances to save the race! Not to mention, you could give them the same deal as the first human fleet, and offer to upgrade their ships to the new reactor type (and an all-battlestar armada while we are at it, why not?).

But same problem would probably lead to the same resolution. They get attacked, can't adequately defend themselves, then hop.

Again a small change, as these humans want something similar to home to return to and what do we get? Why not the original 1978 series battlestar? There at least viable energy weapons become available (as well as a fleet of 220 overcrowded human ships) and suddenly you've got both the numbers and the tech edge that you could, in theory, strike back at the cylons in at least one of these three universes.
Wonderbee31 chapter 7 . 9/18/2014
Heh, poor Kryten, just can't seem to catch a break no matter how nice he is at times.
fellow chapter 7 . 9/14/2014