Reviews for Without Hope
duj chapter 3 . 10/4/2012
Not a fan of bergil, eh? or of hicks...
duj chapter 2 . 10/4/2012
Hellhawks is a good name for them.
duj chapter 1 . 10/4/2012
If she properly considered how she herself reacts to her chief's words of recognition, she'd try harder to infuse hope into her own comments to the wounded - at least as hard as she worked on making "dear" sound natural.
queenieb chapter 3 . 2/18/2005
This is really well written; I love the dark humor interspersed with Lalaith's black despair. I do wish you would consider continuing this. I want to know what happens!
wellduh chapter 2 . 1/29/2004
"...they could store up lightning in glass and direct it to burn holes in stone..."
*laughs* Brilliant.
Altariel chapter 3 . 8/20/2002
This chapter snuck past me somehow - probably my own inefficiency. I continue to admire your attention to detail, and I love the dry, black humour with which our healer tries to fight off the terror. Please keep updating this.
LOTRlover chapter 3 . 5/19/2002
I love the little details that spice this chapter: "Not in public, darling;" "flatbread-and-paste" (and can it be coincidence that the paste recipe sounds like the ingredient list for Spam?); the High Meads Particular Beechwood Split-Tine Turner (tm).

Please write on; I can't wait to find out what happens next. It's wonderful to read about what the "common" people are doing and enduring while the heroes are out saving the world.
GreyLadyBast chapter 2 . 5/14/2002
I don't know what to say. This is great, tho a bit ponderous. Then again, Tolkien himself is a bit ponderous, so it works well within the canon. I've got an interest in healers and such, so this is a welcome fic. That it is one of those "alternate views of the main characters" fics also goes over very well with me-I've a fondness for that type of story. All in all, a very good read. More please.
Elwen chapter 2 . 5/14/2002
This is very well written. I realy got a feel of the despair. The humour in the second chapter balanced it well, I thought.

I'm interested to see where you take us and will be watching for updates.
LOTRlover chapter 2 . 5/14/2002
"Healer Gurthang"-(snort)

"My friend Huor of Herbalists"-oh, there *are* some people she likes!

"'Well, you know I'm sinistral, right?'

'-No, left,' Mendelvor said, as tradition demanded, straight-faced."-what a terrible pun! I love it!

I'm so glad you gave Lalaith a little break and a chance for us to see her living up to her name. The story about Huor's run-in with his Gammer is lovely and full of detail. And the effect of the Nazgul (there should be a carat over the "u" but I'm too lazy to search around for the code to put it in) flyover is beautifully described-it just sucks all the joy from the happy scene.

The only nitpick here is that I had a bit of trouble following the conversation between Huor and Lalaith the way you have it written. At first reading I thought it was Lalaith who had thrown the pens on the floor, only because some of the sentences that describe what's happening during the dialog seem to me to be misplaced.

Example: "So what's this I hear about Ioreth throwing your pens on the floor?" Hu shook his head, grinning.

"*I* threw them on the floor. And out the window, and into the hallway, and I think some of them lodged in the fan-vaults, too."

I think this would be clearer to the reader if you show that Lalaith says the first line and "Hu shook his head..." was in the next paragraph, like this:

"...pens on the floor?" I asked.

Hu shook his head, grinning. "*I* threw them on the floor..."

Again: "Ah! Is that what you do with our prescriptions? 'Correct' them? Remind me to check everything I send you from now own!" I looked ostentatiously in my sash for a stylus and brandished it warningly at him.

"So what happened? The Wild Women of the Washery were all in an uproar."

This would be clearer if "I looked ostentatiously..." was in the next paragraph with "So what happened?"

And lastly: "'...Then. She Moved. My Quills.' He said this in such a deliberately ponderous and doomladen tone that I could not help laughing.

'Poor Hu, with your feathers all ruffled!' He shook his head dolorously.

'You laugh. I suppose you cannot help it, because of your name...'"

In this case "He shook his head..." would go better in the same paragraph as "'You laugh'..."

Making these adjustments would make this good dialog even better.

I can't wait for the rest of this story. I'll enjoy seeing how Lalaith deals with the realization that the king is back and she won't have to use her little black vial after all.
LOTRlover chapter 1 . 5/14/2002
"I won't delay you further, but I do want to say that I'm *exceedingly* impressed with the quality of your work..." Ditto!

Lalaith is a most absorbing character-and I love the irony of her name, at least in this chapter. Her attention to detail, her rather uncharitable descriptions of the old goodwives and "hulking lumps" she deals with every day, and her generally gloomy outlook give her great depth. It's quite chilling when you reveal her oh-so-practical escape route for when Minas Tirith is eventually overrun.

Your attention to detail is wonderful, especially in the second paragraph's description of her alchemical work.

The only nitpick I have is when Lalaith describes her own gait as "the long, floating strides of a champion athlete." That jarred me as I read it. Not only did I have trouble believing anyone would actually be outside herself enough to describe her own walk that way, but the whole phrase seemed anachronistic. It also seems to be too poetic a thought for someone as emotionless and practical as Lalaith appears to be.

Now, on to Chapter Two...