Reviews for Times Have Changed
clh chapter 1 . 2/12
Some of the similarities you draw between Arthur and Morgana are true, but on others I have to disagree. For instance, you say they hate each other, but Arthur never actually returned Morgana's hatred. The closest he came to appearing to was in "The Hollow Queen" where he claimed to share a "hatred of Morgana" with Sarrum, but then he goes on to look like he wants to throttle him when he's talking about how he kept her locked up. That coupled with the way he always reacts with sadness rather than anger when he sees her or she's mentioned makes me think he was either saying that because he thought it was how he SHOULD feel or that he simply meant he hated what she had become. He certainly never said "You will pay!" or anything hateful or vengeful to her. He always countered her hatred with a kind of heartbroken pity. He also never said "I used to think we were friends" in a tone that suggested "what was I thinking" like I felt like it was implying here. He said "I thought we were friends" in a tone that said "Why aren't we still. I wish we could be again."

I also disagree that Arthur's too proud to yield. When he feels very strongly about something he can be, but compared to Morgana, Arthur is far more open to listening to others and considering all the different viewpoints. He's also more given to doubting himself, whereas Morgana is self-assured to a fault. (Arthur can act as though he is at times, but his arrogance is largely a front.) You can see this difference between them very clearly in the early seasons when Morgana defies Uther without question, while Arthur kind of stands in the background, weighing both of their viewpoints and often trying to come to some sort of compromise. Arthur has a much more patient approach to conflict than Morgana. He's less assured of his own rightness, which makes him more hesitant, but also more willing to listen.

This is what makes him different not only from Morgana but also from Uther. Actually, I feel like much of this character study should be about Uther and Morgana rather than Arthur and Morgana, particularly the last line, all except for "hating each other" because like Arthur, Uther never returned Morgana's hatred.

So while there are similarities between them (like you said, they're both strong, brave and stubborn) there are also many striking differences. I don't think any character study of the two of them can be complete unless it not only compares but also contrasts them.

Sorry for rambling on for longer than the story itself, I just feel you missed a few crucial aspects of Arthur's character and of his relationship to Morgana. I love the relationship he has with her from season three and onward. It's so heartbreakingly one-sided. In series three, he's more affectionate to her than ever before, and so is she to him, and yet on her side it's all fake. As far as he's concerned her absence has made them closer, but she's shut off her affection for him entirely. As it progresses in series four and five, the heartbreaking contrast between his feelings towards her and hers towards him remains, even though it changes shape. He responds to her hatred, not in like kind, but with the exact opposite. It's this, in "Arthur's Bane: Part 2", that makes Mordred turn against Morgana and save Arthur. If Arthur had simply mirrored Morgana's hatred and bitterness back at her, then he'd have had nothing to recommend him.

I see that this was published before series 5 aired, but even so, the encounter between Arthur and Morgana in the series 4 finale is enough to illustrate my point. Arthur clearly still cares about Morgana and obviously doesn't hate her. Even when he tries to return her posturing by saying "not so powerful now, my lady" his tone is soft and he looks like he'd sooner start crying than spout a hateful diatribe. Her little "I'm going to enjoy killing you" clearly got to him more than he can afford to let on under the circumstances.

Anyway, I should probably stop rambling now. It just really bugs me how often Arthur's side of the post-series three Arthur-Morgana relationship is misportrayed in fanfiction.

This is well-written, I just disagree with your interpretation.
zoe alice chapter 2 . 4/26/2012
I enjoy little plotless character studies, myself. I'd like to read more explorations.
Cajast chapter 2 . 1/23/2012
I love this!

You capture their dynamic perfectly. )

*And*, you use short sentences. P
Cajast chapter 1 . 1/22/2012
I haven't read this! Was I supposed to read this? I think I would've screwed up your word count.

It's just so true. I know that they kind of hinted at a sort-of romantic thing at the beginning of the series, but it just never worked out. It didn't click for me for exactly this reason. They're siblings. (Yes, in reality, but even more so when they didn't know they were related. That's sort of ironic, and very, very sad.)

Please write more. I'll be a quicker beta now that you can just turn around and poke me to get me to do it. P
amore1993 chapter 1 . 1/22/2012
Really good :) not nearly enough well written arthur and morgana fanfics.
mericat chapter 1 . 1/22/2012
I would definitely read more of this. I always like plotless character exploration. It helps me understand them better, and or hate/sympathize with them more. Gives me more insight into choices.
whitecrossgirl chapter 1 . 1/21/2012
that was really good; all siblings fight; me and my younger brother cant go a day without fighting. Well except Christmas.
Magical Moo chapter 1 . 1/20/2012
It is remarkable how similar these characters' personalities are, but even more remarkable that as a viewer, these things don't even cross your mind until they are revealed as siblings.

I think you put this all very well. You showed the progression of their relationship through just a few simple, beautiful words.

At the end when you compared their thoughts side by side, it reminded me of their meeting in the throne room in the 4th series.

I would definitely like to read more of your thoughts on the Merlin characters. )
Abject Tears chapter 1 . 1/20/2012
I like this. It's simple and as you say, plotless, but it's very astute and sums up Arthur and Morgana's complicated relationship very well :) and yes, I would definitely be interested in a piece about the main four!