Reviews for Hope Eyrie
Lady Almaren chapter 1 . 6/24/2011
Oh this is perfect. And I'm glad that I wasn't the only person who felt this way. The first time I read the Silmarillion I knew I was supposed to support the Valar and the sinking of Numenor but I couldn't help thinking that the fall of man was just human nature. As soon as I read that Numenor was placed so close to Aman I knew it was only a matter of time before something happened. It is in human nature to fear growing old and fading away. The Numenoreans just wanted to stay a little longer.
RavenLady chapter 1 . 9/30/2005
I've read this story several times, and it always makes me cry. Though I can't say I agree with them, the perspective of Ar-Pharazon's followers needed to be heard like this - thank you so much. Every line is utterly, achingly beautiful.
Caporal chapter 1 . 8/25/2002
Yes, Numenor and the Nirnaeth Arnoediad are definitely the most tragic stories in all of Tolkein's work. But I'm not sure which is sadder. Anyway, I really like this fic,being one of the better ones I've read in a long time. The thing that strikes me, is how lucky this person is, as he will never see the end of Numenor that he loves. It's going in my favorite stories section.

Morgûlwen
naltariel chapter 1 . 5/28/2002
I really dont think that Eru punished them for trying to reach out. i think its becoz they grew to hate the Valar and rebel against their authority. And they started to sway even from Eru Himself. Plus, the Numenoreans were pretty sick that time, misled by Sauron with human sacrifices and such. Remember that Eru pointed men as creature to shape the Arda by their hands, and not Elves. so He truly must gave them ambition to be more and more, but they must not rebel against Him or Valar.

But I understand your point of view. :) Its very beautifully written as always.
Gwilwileth2 chapter 1 . 5/19/2002
Okay, I too was summoned here by our all time favourite Nemis.

And although I am not really into the Silmarillion, I have to admit, you did capture the feelings of the Númenóreans about their faith (death).

The arrogance, pride and also boldness lying in the fact they think they can defeat the Valar and Eldar of Aman, seeps throughout this story. You did a wonderful job on this tragic event.
Nessamelda chapter 1 . 5/17/2002
Great! The emotion is captured really well- a VERY enjoyable read. I totally agree about Numenor and the way you've written seems so heartfelt. THANKYOU!

Hugs

F/K
Ithilwen of Himring chapter 1 . 5/15/2002
There aren't many fics written about Numenor, and I've always wondered why. I think you present a very realistic change of heart on the part of the central character - death doesn't seem like such a big deal when you're young; it's much harder to accept when it grows closer to becoming a reality. I suspect many Numenoreans would have experienced the same change of heart as your central character.
Casey H chapter 1 . 5/15/2002
Me is impressed once more... Nemis kicked me over here (as usual) promising me Númenor and pondering and depth... And all that have I received...

A little spot of Men being jealous of the Eldar. a very pressing example of what death means for Men (especially in this times in Middle-earth history).

"Manwe’s eagles come upon Numenor."

It's one of the 'shudder-lines', like Nemis calls them, (she counts among them the deaths of Fingolfin and Fingon (and, no doubt, Gil-galad)...

It's the problem with , isn't it, there is so much crappy stuff lying around, one often cannot find the jewels among them.

Well, today was a lucky day...
shinelrond chapter 1 . 5/15/2002
Wowza, I never thought the Fall of Numenor could be such a moving story...You have officailly...wowed me as I'm not a big fan of men(the race:), this was great...*wanders off to ponder the ficcy*
Forget Yesterday chapter 1 . 5/14/2002
Beautiful.
Nemis chapter 1 . 5/14/2002
*shiver* why do you always make me do that?