Reviews for Ainulindalë
Peregrin Took the Falcon chapter 1 . 5/10
My family gives me funny looks when I read the Silmarillion, mostly because I spend half my time laughing at Melkor/Morgoth/Bauglir and his utter defeat. This certainly gave me a new picture to add to my mental files, so thanks for writing it!
Sauron Gorthaur chapter 1 . 2/18/2013
Why should I be surprised to see yet another beautiful, powerful poem by thewayfaringstrangers :) ? Really, I know I’ve said this about a fair number of your poems, but this is a gorgeous, well-wrought piece of work, just like the others. It goes a great job of word-painting the Ainulindale for us, and as always, you do a splendid job with the technical aspects of form poetry.

All your poems have a beautifully vague, dream-like quality to them, but this one was even more so than several of the others I’ve read. More than being a story, this is a series of brief images and glimpses at the Ainulindale story. I like that you start with Tolkien’s prose version of the story, and then you have your poem, which less repeats the story than giving us glimpses, tantalizing hints, at the story. The images you use are great, very poetic, vague, but invoking of feeling, and they set a distinct mood for the entire poem. For example, I love the lines “A cornerstone / of Evil laid.” Of course, Melkor isn’t building a real structure, but I love the metaphor of his departure from Eru’s theme being the foundations for all Evil that is to come into the world. And in a sense, since the songs will make things become real through Eru’s will, Melkor is actually laying a real foundation for all his evil works and the evil works of his servants in the world that will soon be. It’s a fabulous image.

I also loved the stanza with Vaire and Nienna. Again, it’s a fleeting, vague image – someone not familiar with the book would probably have no idea what they are seeing – but it’s a beautiful, brief reference to the two Valier and their connection to the fate of Ea and the sorrow that is entering into Arda’s history. It is more a mood-setter than a real image – from that stanza we feel all the sorrow that will come of Evil that was never meant to be in history. I could probably go through each stanza and talk about what it adds to the overall mood and feel of the poem, but that would get a bit long-winded, even for me. I will say that you do a wonderful job of keeping your poem spare – everything in there is there for distinct reasons, and because of the short, tight stanzas, everything feels like it belongs and fits and the poem couldn’t possibly do without it. This is something I really admire in your poetry, since my long, sprawling poetry can hardly be called concise.

And as always, as a fellow form poet, I admire your ability to work form so gorgeously. The entire piece flows smoothly; there were no lines where the graceful meter seemed off, even though it did change slightly throughout, and none of the rhymes seemed forced. The musicality of this particular poem was especially appropriate, considering the topic. The lovely alliteration in the first two lines and the last two lines was a great, musical way to frame the poem, as well as by using the powerful repetition of “light” and “west” in the first two lines. As I said, the rhymes all worked very well, and I know that can be difficult, especially with lines this short. The rhymes were subtle and sank into the background, like the meter, as I read. They created part of the ambiance and music of the poem without sticking painfully out like a Hallmark card rhyme. (Although I have noticed that you really like the rhyme of “crown” and “down” but of course, one would not notice that if this was the only one of your poems that they’d read.)

I was not disappointed. This was another one of the fine works that I expect when I open up one of your poems. I commend your effort in producing another powerful, well-constructed form poem that beautifully illustrates a moment in Tolkien’s works. Thanks for sharing, and keep on writing!

-Sauron Gorthaur
LornaWinters chapter 1 . 1/7/2013
Like I said before, your poems are awesome! And as I already said, this is one of my favorite stories from the book! Well done! My favorite was the fourth stanza.
Mirach chapter 1 . 4/3/2012
Very nice poem! I like the simple and seamless rhyming and the way you tell the whole story in a few well-chosen words.
almostinsane chapter 1 . 3/27/2012
Great poem! This was wonderful to read. Thanks so much for writing this. God bless!
Duilin chapter 1 . 1/26/2012
Late at night, hmm? The product of your slight insomnia has turned out wonderful! A light in the darkness - a source of hope when there is none.
Mornen chapter 1 . 1/25/2012
Ah, that was a very dramatic poem. The first line touched me greatly, although I cannot really pinpoint why. I like how you managed to convey the sense of hope through disaster in these few verses. So I encourage you to keep reading The Silmarillion late at night, and keep writing poetry.
Galad Estel chapter 1 . 1/25/2012
This is beautiful-it has a fixed rhythm and it summarizes the story well
CrackinAndProudOfIt chapter 1 . 1/24/2012
I didn't think it was weird at all; on the contrary, it was beautiful! How do you come up with such great rhymes? :) I never have that sort of talent with poetry... It was gorgeous; your imagery and language were very powerful! Great work!

-Crackers