Reviews for The Expert's Blind Spot
GT500RonSmith chapter 1 . 6/26
She has a reasonable fear I would think! And she knows what it is to have lost a parent! So, it seems natural that she would have these feelings. Only, she has Castle with her and that has to be such a great reinforcement for her! They will be great parents!
Beautiful

Guest chapter 1 . 12/5/2014
Made me cry. :)
Simon13 chapter 1 . 7/22/2014
That's an interesting subject:

Should Kate quit her job if pregnant? The feminist in me yells "no" really loudly. It's certain that Castle would support her, never ask of her to give up who she is, as a detective. She does love doing what she does. And she knows she is good at it and is helping the victims families.

On the other hand, she knows the pain of losing her mother. This is what defined her, in many ways. It's work that got Johanna killed, and she didn't even really know that she was putting her life in so much danger. What would be the right thing for Kate to do, so that she is happy - protecting her child by quitting the force, finding some other way of helping the victims? Or doing what she does?

Tough call. Often the writers of fanfiction, hell, even writers of Castle disregard this, I feel. I think they don't give enough credit to Kate - that she would be ok to quit her job, she wouldn't be ok knowingly placing herself in danger, having first hand experience of what it means to lose a mother.

I think you showed this dilemma quite well in this one.

-Simon
HigherGround2 chapter 1 . 1/19/2013
This is amazing! I really love it! I mean it when I favorite this, and I really really enjoyed reading this! Excellent writing, and I love the feeling and emotion you put into this. It felt very real which I love reading! Good job!
BlueEyedBrigadier chapter 1 . 10/7/2012
Absolutely perfect! You nailed Kate's mixture of fear, doubt and love with nary a tonal miss!
JayJayNicolaB chapter 1 . 10/7/2012
This is the most beautiful thing I've ever read! Keep em coming! :)
Emily92 chapter 1 . 7/12/2012
Loved it (:
SparkleMouse chapter 1 . 6/16/2012
Taking my second Scriptwriting class for the semester today. - Man I miss my screenwriting classes. Random, I know.

This is a woman who never sits catatonic—who either denies or falls open. There's no middle ground. He'd stopped having to pull information from her like taffy out of a press long ago. - I love these sentences. They flow together so well.

"I'm pregnant," she whispers, - Yayyyy I secretly (not so secretly) love pregnant Kate/mommy Kate fic.

while he considers himself an expert on Kate Beckett, detective, wife, lover, best friend, he has no strategy for Kate Castle, mother. - Crap. I love that.

Her hand moves then, bringing his up and over her chest to settle between her breasts, on the scar that sometimes haunts both of their dreams. "A baby won't, but a bullet could," she says, and he can't remember a time when her voice has sounded this broken. - That is so haunting and yet beautiful. I can totally picture it.

He hears the edge of desperation in her voice and it meshes with the disbelief that she's still so coherent. He half expected her to cry herself to sleep in his arms. "It's your job, Kate," he says, his voice rough.

"The baby won't see it that way."

"The baby will love you," he argues, pulling her closer. "Like I love you." - I love how realistic this is.

"I can't just get another you," he offers hoarsely. "I can't believe you even," he falls silent as her fingers cover his lips, an eyebrow arched over eyes rimmed with red and smudgy mascara. - Breaking my heart, Emma. Breaking my heart.

"You're not dying," he tells her as they break apart. He watches her blink, considering him. "And yes, your job is dangerous, but hell, having a baby is terrifying, even if you weren't a cop and I wasn't a millionaire." - Sometimes I feel so vain but I really love that he's a millionaire lol.

"I…you know I like kids," she says softly, waiting for his nod. "I just can't imagine—I was nineteen, you know?" - This is the second story by you where you've broached the subject of a life without her mother and I have to tell you that you do it so realistically and just so well. You've truly captured what it's like, the thought process and I truly admire that.

"But can you imagine how wonderful it will be for us?" he asks, nudging her nose with his, wanting to pull them out of all of the death and despair, because there's a life beneath their hands. "How amazing it would be to hold this baby? To watch him or her grow up, talk, walk, ride motorcycles, drive me into an early grave, jeopardize your job when they shoplift?" - And you write him as so understanding and perfect and what everyone would want in that situation. I also love the last part of that last sentence. It's so Castle.

But they've stopped a bomb, and outted a conspiracy, survived a freezer and battled a tiger—and those are just the ones that stand out—they can do this together. - Love the brief glance of their history.

Would he mind if she gave birth to a beautiful baby boy or girl? Would he mind if she was there for the midnight feedings and nightmares and potty training? Would he mind standing in the doorway to the nursery, watching his wife nurse their child, sing their child to sleep, lazy, exhausted voice roughing through the words as she beams down at their son or daughter? Would he mind raising a family with her? - Ugh sometimes I want to see this so badly.

"You more than me," she offers after a pause, as he watches her gather her optimism.

"Are you calling me old?"

"If the shoe fits."

"Hey, I'm virile. I've got proof," he grins, laying his hand on top of hers. "And just who kept you in bed that weekend?"

"My other husband," she says immediately, in a game they've been playing for so long that it should stop being funny. "Sorry you had to find out like this."

"You could have at least bought me dinner."

"I'm cheap," she laughs, rolling over suddenly so she can see his face. - I had to highlight all of that because it's awesome. It flows so well, do quickly.

"This little guy or girl who's going to be so smart, and savvy, and scare the ultimate crap out of his or her teachers."

"Only if you tell her about your plot lines," Kate snorts.

"Right, like you couldn't accidentally let slip about the triple homicide you just worked."

"Your laser tag guns are scarier than mine," she retorts, poking him in the chest. - This too. So sharp.

This is my favorite from you. These emotional ones that hit home but yet are so comforting and perfect.
K8t08linki chapter 1 . 3/5/2012
Phenomenal story! Cliche, but it really did warm my heart. :)
charcoalrunes chapter 1 . 2/8/2012
What's better than a story with valid questions and fears presented in a particular situation, and particularly this one? That story being excellently in character. Well done!

And I love the title. Just something about a really good title, you know?
phrynepuck chapter 1 . 2/8/2012
Adorable
leuska chapter 1 . 2/2/2012
I love this on so many levels. Sorry, I obviously cannot scrape more words to praise your work, but stay assured that it is very appreciated.
KMacD chapter 1 . 1/30/2012
This was great. I liked the casual mention of Gates and the maturation of their relationship over the years together. Well done. I'd love some follow up eps. Perhaps the baby's first Christmas and Rick being Santa (I can just imagine that man in a Santa suit ;-)) and perhaps another Christmas when their first child is about ten with a couple of younger siblings as well. Perhaps they do get to the picket fence and the soccer games. I can't think of any fic that go there. Hmm, a challenge?
teelduo chapter 1 . 1/26/2012