Reviews for Restraint
Castlelover777 chapter 1 . 11/23
Great story! I so wish there was more Firefly fic! Mal and Inara's attraction is so beautiful and heart breaking.
IOwnABoat chapter 1 . 9/3
Just reading some of your shorter stories before I dive into another multi-chapter fic - and as Firefly is an old love of mine I was quite happy to see you've written some stories around it!

And I do like this little character study. It perfectly encapsulates how Mal would see Inara, and why he treats her the way he does when he clearly loves her. In 500 or so words you summed up exactly their tension and Mal's hopeless yearning.

God I miss that show...
eyrianone chapter 1 . 2/20/2013
I really like this perspective. Mal is honest in his opinions, often unfiltered. I've always thought he hated her profession so much because it sells affection, connection, dishonestly - and he despises that, even as he likes Inara. Is attracted to her. It's a strange connection really, because a relationship between them would never work. Neither of them will change or give up they way they live or what they do, and if neither can change they could never successfully be together. But they want to be.
Patient131071 chapter 1 . 5/21/2012
Well written, eloquent, and, to my mind, highly accurate. Nice job.
Ty chapter 1 . 2/8/2012
celticvampriss chapter 1 . 1/29/2012
Wow. That was beautifully written. Definitely would read more Firefly stuff from you. Very eloquent and I apperciate the depth that can be so hard to find on this site. Very well done and I enjoyed reading. _
writtenwordlover chapter 1 . 1/28/2012
Spot on Mal POV, and "so he waited."

love that:)
ebfiddler chapter 1 . 1/26/2012
Very much enjoyed this story. I hope you will write more Firefly.

You've captured the reasons behind Mal and Inara's dance - at least Mal's reasons. His regard for her has so much depth, but as you put it, "there was nothing that he could say or do that could not be interpreted as a cheap imitation of something some 'upstanding gentleman' had said more intelligently or suave-like." It's so clear why he's reluctant to do or say anything that would put him in the same category as her clients. And you've hit the nail on the head, with his reasons for provoking Inara's annoyance and anger: "Her reactions were schooled and careful so he delighted in letting her show unchecked emotions, even if they were not ones conventionally desired." It's the one thing he can give her, that no one else can: the freedom to feel, to have real emotions. And I think that's the reason she doesn't want to leave Serenity.
Bytemite chapter 1 . 1/26/2012
I was just talking today about how Mal keeps Inara at a distance, and his insecurities. He doesn't have the confidence he can give her anything new, anything she hasn't had before only richer and better.

A good character sketch exploring Mal's motives and the mock-war they have going. It's too bad, because if Mal knew Inara better, he might start to realize that she's trying to do the same thing to him.
Ryalin chapter 1 . 1/26/2012
One of my favorite love stories, and one, sadly, that the viewer never got to see come to fruition...except in beautiful fanfiction like this. Thank you.
Ms. Chips chapter 1 . 1/26/2012
I think you've really nailed the roots of Mal's seeming ambivalence about Inara. For him, she's no less a victim of the Alliance than River is, since both characters have been denied some aspect of their identity because of the ruling elite's desire to control and use. Yes, Inara is well compensated for this (ab)use, but to Mal it's not well enough (nor could it ever be) given the personal cost. It would have been wonderful to see how this relationship would have developed if the series had been allowed to continue. Sigh.

Thanks for sharing this terrific character study with us. I hope you'll consider writing more Firefly fics.