Reviews for The Last High
USAFChief chapter 1 . 1/26/2012
Nice see something from you...and the wait was worth it. Very nicely done. The line, "Gibbs sends them suspicious and warning eyes that he knows will make no difference when push comes to love" plucked at the strings of the heart of this jaded old man.

Angsty, romantic, improbable or ridiculous? I'll take it with all those descriptors. Good job!

Thanks for posting it.

pdf
Anonymous033 chapter 1 . 1/26/2012
Oh ... my.

This is really beautiful!

You knocked the breath right outta me. And I ... sorta teared up, hehe.

I really like the insight into his thoughts and insecurities and wishes; I really like how you've portrayed his craving for her. And I love the look into those three days they had in NYC, where everything seemed perfect and right and blissful.

My heart skipped countless beats, reading that.

And then the conversation ... his fear and her hesitation ... oh my.

*Breathes deeply*

I'm okay.

Beautiful last sentence.

~Soph
JMHaughey chapter 1 . 1/26/2012
In their pretend world he probably would have told her that the darkness was mood lighting for his deep thoughts. But in the real world he has not learnt to be so vulnerable and honest. - - So telling and hauntingly beautiful.
Pitselehvv chapter 1 . 1/26/2012
This piece feels very different from your usual stuff, but it is no less enjoyable. It has a lot of points that on could dwell upon for a long time. Whether this is canon or not, you have to wonder if it really is Gibbs and rule 12 that have put a damper on T/Z's impulse to get together... Ok, yeah, one would have to wonder how big that impulse is on the actual show, but still. Or if the sniping at each other that has often come after pivotal moments is a defense mechanism. Ok, yeah, that could be used to justify sloppy writing on behalf of the actual show writers, but it is a good excuse. I particularly liked the bit about the pictures of the Statue of Liberty, and how they'd be another anonymous couple. It kind of makes you think about the people you randomly cross every day without the slightest idea of what they're really going through. Thanks for the story.
starryjules chapter 1 . 1/26/2012
The idea of the 200-mile rule is so perfectly in character with them...it's bittersweet and dysfunctional and more than a little bit self-destructive in its aftermath, which you detailed so well in Tony's musings. I actually think it's my favorite interpretation to date of what came out of Paris.

Tony's misunderstanding of Ziva's intentions were painful and spot-on, and the happy (and yet realistic) ending is sending me into my workday all warm and gooey and grinning, so thank you!
Proseac chapter 1 . 1/26/2012
I love the addition analogy - it fits perfectly, even down to trying to hide it from Gibbs. I wonder if the boss will try to stage an intervention? Hee!

I especially like the way you explain their squabbles in the squad room - it makes perfect sense when viewed through the lens of sexual and emotional frustration.

I'm glad Tony didn't dive into that Scotch before calling Ziva - and now he won't need it. :)
Darkwriter69 chapter 1 . 1/26/2012
long absences are fine, so long as you still manage to produce gems like this.
Ryalin chapter 1 . 1/26/2012
An amazing new story. Well done.
DaniSJ chapter 1 . 1/26/2012
I'm glad this isn't a song fic, but I honestly don't care it's a little angsty, kind of romantic, largely improbable and entirely ridiculous... I like reading your fics and this is the best fic I've read in a while ;)
megamom2 chapter 1 . 1/26/2012
I enjoyed reading this! Lots of introspection, but it wasn't overdone.
M E Wofford chapter 1 . 1/26/2012