Reviews for The Hidden Man
Jokermask18 chapter 7 . 4/18
Nice.
Count Mallet chapter 7 . 4/15
It's very interesting to read this. For some reason, I thought there were more chapters, but this was a good wrap-up to the story and our brief history lesson.

I must admit I always thought of Jellia as a quiet and timid young woman. I may have to change that perception of her after seeing her give Oz a fierce scolding for the way he treated Dorothy & company and relating it to the previous chess analogy.

I also liked seeing Jellia admit that as mad as she was about that, she also realized Oz wasn't a bad person in general when she mentions how he kept the land of Oz at peace and provided some much-needed stability at an important time in the land's history. Most everybody does have their good and bad traits.

I'm not sure how long this takes place after the Wizard returns (with Ozma now ruling), but it was nice to see Jellia decide to put her grudge aside and see if she could at least play a game of chess with her former colleague. I imagine their friendship rekindled whether after that day or gradually in time.

The only thing that confused me was seeing the second half of the story written in italics. Initially, I thought it was done to separate Jellia's stories about the past form present-day events. But near the end, it seems both past & present events are all italicized. That threw me a bit; but, there was nothing wrong with the story itself.

I can't remember if you've had your reading yet. If it's still to come, I hope it goes well for you.

Count Mallet chapter 6 . 3/17
The idea of the visitors not taking no for an answer and not taking the hint the Wizard desires no guests reminds me of a recent situation where people didn't seem to realize that certain conduct was *not* going to be acknowledged or rewarded. I should have realized, especially given the chapter title, that this was Dorothy and company. This was a very interesting way to introduce them into the tale.

In some ways, I can understand the Wizard's plight. Everyone thinks he is a Wizard or some sort of god-like being. However, the reality is he's just as ordinary as anyone and has every right to be fearful of the wicked witches. So, telling Dorothy and friends to kill the Wicked Witch of the West is brilliant. If they succeed, they've done his dirty work for him, and he can breathe a huge sigh of relief. If they fail, it's no skin off of his nose and he's no worse off than he is at the moment.

Jellia's compassion for Dorothy and friends is also a nice touch. It's also obvious her loyalties to the Wizard are a bit strained now after what he just demanded his visitors to do for him. While we already know what happens next in Oz's history, I'm looking forward to seeing it from The Wizard's and Jellia's perspectives.

Count Mallet chapter 5 . 2/16
When I read your story about the prosecution of Eureka the kitten, I though I might have partially read this story. Is it perhaps undergoing a rewrite now? I'll try to leave thoughts on the chapters so far rather than flooding you with multiple reviews at once.

I have to remind myself that the original Baum Books were written in the early 1900's. As such, a war with rifles and bayonets as the start would be very era-appropriate even if it would seem weird in today's times.

It's nice to see Jellia isn't intimidated by Oz's demands and mysterious persona. The start of chapter two reminds me of the movie scene where Toto pulls back the curtain to reveal the man controlling everything. In this instance, though, I imagine Oz's social graces and skills had wasted away with his reported 12 years of isolation. Interesting to see you tie in the land of Oz's past as reported in the books into Jellia's flashbacks/story.

I can only imagine the Wogglebug gasping in horror to hear how Jellia considered his kind to be nothing more than a household nuisance pest. I like the how the chess metaphor played out at the end and Jellia offers to be Oz's eyes & ears.

In chapter four, I didn't realize how territorial the citizens were about their colors. Family estrangement for mismatched socks... then again, I've seen sillier reasons for family fights. Looks like the chef is also cursed, possessed, or been replaced with a doppelganger.

Even more powerful in chapter five is the idea of colors cancelling out the evil magic, with green neutralizing all. A decent explanation for the required green spectacles in the original book and another good tie in to the Emerald City being the center of all magic.

I'm hoping that there will eventually be more. I'd like to see how this eventually ends.

WogglebugLoveProductions chapter 4 . 7/10/2013
Well... I at least I can't say I HADN'T given you a warning beforehand, you retarded old git! If am to be in any way responsible for any products I put out, then I can honestly say I can put one out in a way that will hurt you and I will NEVER regret doing so! You are about to become majorly unfavorable in the fan club that I am the founder and sole owner of!
James Birdsong chapter 4 . 5/25/2013
Cool two chapters. Excellent story.
James Birdsong chapter 2 . 3/2/2012
Awesome fanfic.
An Atheist Avenging Her Rights chapter 2 . 2/20/2012
Another completely awesome chapter. I loved how the flashback scene was neatly interspersed with the present scene of Jelia telling the Wogglebug about it. And at the end I could clearly see a glimpse of a relationship beginning between Jelia and the Wizard. And so now I am more eager than before for the next chapter to come.
An Atheist Avenging Her Rights chapter 1 . 1/27/2012
Awesome beginning. I assume the opening sequence was of a flashback of the Wizard being in the Civil War or something. And I overall love the flow of of how Jelia tells of her story from the beginning so far. And I'm excited to read the next chapter when I presume Jelia will actually be meeting with the Wizard in person for the first time. I also hope the Wogglebug's study goes well overall. He's like me, and loves a real good challenge at what he likes to do best.