Reviews for The Train
GunShy1 chapter 18 . 4/24
The train is another great adventure. The plot is engaging and includes plenty of action and interesting characters. Within two chapters, we have a stagecoach robbery, a literal train wreck/ robbery, a kidnapping, and Pinkerton men. In addition, as always, you do a great job with our favorite Gunsmoke characters, but you also introduce new original characters, and bring back original characters from your previous stories. I especially like Kevin O'Malley and Edgar Wilkins is growing on me as well. It's a rare man that excels in two fields of endeavor. I also really appreciate that you took the time to put in the little mundane details that make a story, and the people in it, so realistic. A telegram in Latin and a resulting log frustrated Barney who likes to be in the know. Matt bringing in the stagecoach pulled by a team of six was a nice visual. I always loved it when any of the old westerns used a team of six instead of four. It wasn't very common and I suspect there were few who could safely handle a team of six and a careening stagecoach. It was fun that like most men, Matt yearned to let them run, but unlike many was mature enough to keep them reined in. I liked this thought from Kitty as she again waited to learn if Matt would return safely from one of his dangerous endeavors: "she knew deep down that there was no way Matt Dillon could give up being a law man. It was just a part of him, this man she loved." Another great line was this one: "She could not, nor would she try to, stop him. It was a part of this man, a part so deep, so integral that to change it would change him." I always thought that most of the time, Kitty knew that the part of Matt that tied him to his badge was a big part of why she loved him. That she occasionally forgot this was understandable. I also liked this thought from Matt as it showed more awareness of the big dichotomy in his life than we usually got: "I hate to hurt her like this, but somehow I cannot find a way to resolve the conflict of my two passions. The woman I love and the badge I wear." You also added to the story with three sub-plots that ran parallel to the main plot of finding the robbers and murderers. The first was whether Matt could trust Dan Kilburn, a man who had been abducted at the train wreck and who claimed to be a Pinkerton man, but who was just too secretive to Matt's way of thinking, especially when coupled with Matt's niggling suspicions that Kliburn was purposely slowing them down and that they were being followed. I enjoyed the narrative where both Matt and Kliburn tried and failed to learn more about the other. The second was the question of Matt's heart murmur which for me was an ongoing worry and also introduced a big ethical question for Doc. The last was who was the brain behind the robbery. This actually became the main plot as we moved into the latter third of the story. The capture or Killing of most of the Dorsey gang was well-paced and exciting. Matt ended up with broken ribs...again and a bullet in his leg. The mystery of Kliburn is also resolved. He was a Pinkerton man and former, and at heart still, Texas Ranger. Seems he didn't trust Matt any more than Matt trusted him. As the story moves to a close we get brave injured Matt overcoming pain to do his job and some great Matt and Doc interaction leading to the resolution of Doc's ethical concerns. Then, all too soon, Matt and Kilburn build their case against Juno Burr, the man behind the gang thus bring an excellent tale to an end.
tengland2 chapter 18 . 4/5/2012
Nicely completed. Think you got the hang of it. Glad Kilburn wasn't or didn't turn out like I was suspecting that he might.
tengland2 chapter 17 . 4/5/2012
Glad Doc finally told Matt about his heart. He's right had Matt been to any other doctor he would have been told. They better prepare themselves for when Kitty finds out. She always does. :D
tengland2 chapter 16 . 4/5/2012
Doc's usual way of apologizing. Interested in knowing about his reaction to Matt's situation Interesting bits and pieces of the investigation. Begining to wonder about Kilburn again, something says don't trust him.
tengland2 chapter 15 . 4/5/2012
Don't know why doc would be upset with Wilkins, Matt always trys to leave any medical situation sooner than he should. Granted Doc knows more than he's saying, but still.
tengland2 chapter 14 . 4/5/2012
Keeps getting more and more interesting with the characters. The way you had them at the beginning of the story only to mix things up even more now. Interesting. A couple of unhappy people I suspect when Matt gets back to Dodge, for getting his wound to bleed.
tengland2 chapter 13 . 4/5/2012
Glad Witchta isn't a small town, tryng to find pants for Matt may have been difficult. Certainly in a hurry to get home with the railway people not far away.
tengland2 chapter 12 . 4/5/2012
Glad the latin worked, left Barney in total confusion, as well as Doc's response and the fact was in no real hurry to have it sent. Atleast he told Kitty.
tengland2 chapter 11 . 4/5/2012
Got yourself an interesting character with Emily Sykas. Glad to see Kilburn and Matt have become friends. To many ears on the telegraph wires, latin is a good way for no one to know about Matt. (Kitty won't be happy. Oh well.)
tengland2 chapter 10 . 4/5/2012
Could tell Matt was not happy with not being told the entire story. Not thrilled about having help he didn't know about. Interesting to see how this latest wound affects his health.
tengland2 chapter 9 . 4/5/2012
Nicely done. Great conversation between the two doctors. Matt certianly wouldn't like being told he couldn't do his job and the one person who would know how he was feeling would be Kitty. Doc's right about Matt ending up in his office for one reason or another and being able to check on him. Granted not as often as Kevin would like.
tengland2 chapter 8 . 4/5/2012
Things do fall through the cracks. (Paper that Kilburn gave Matt.) Interesting pairing, Kilburn not giving much out. Makes me wonder if he isn't some how part of the group being hunted.
tengland2 chapter 7 . 4/5/2012
Knew she wouldn't be happy about him leaving especially for that length of time. D- that badge of his. But it is his area and his job to serve and protect.
tengland2 chapter 6 . 4/5/2012
Don't trust the Kilburn.
tengland2 chapter 5 . 4/5/2012
Glad to see you found a way to continue bits and pieces from "The Knife". Matt may not be happy with the answeres he's getting from the Pinkerton man, even less when Kitty finds out. Hopefully, the group will be able to spend time with Kevin.