Reviews for Joy Departed
ghostwritten2 chapter 3 . 10/25
This was really beautiful. I love the way they slowly got used to each other and were able, cautiously, to be loving at last.
13teddies13 chapter 1 . 10/13
So sweet.
a nyr byrjun chapter 3 . 7/19
Absolutely beautiful, every word. Thank you.
preciouslittleingenue chapter 3 . 6/5
This hasn't happened to me in a very long while, but I felt myself quite literally engaged in this story. I felt the cold every time Christine shivered. My heart literally broke for her. I was terrified when he threw her in the lake (believe me, I've read plenty of Morbid!Leroux fics that /end/ with Christine being thrown in the lake or drowned in the bathtub). My heart was literally constricted in my chest, and that hasn't happened to me while reading in such a long time. Your images were crystal clear and so beautifully worded. There were so many times when I said to myself, "God, when is he going to let her go?" Every scroll (I almost said page turn - I literally forgot this wasn't a novel) I prayed that this would be the cliche moment where he realizes if he truly loves her he has to let her go, because she's so unhappy down here, you know the rest. But it never came. And I quickly realized that was the point of this story.

In post-Leroux fics where Erik has let her go (as canon), Christine always seems to love Erik no matter what. Not the "Andrew -Lloyd-Weber-musical-'I wish I slept with Erik because I'm actually madly in love with him'-angst-fest" that we usually see, but just some sort of affection and deep caring for him. And as I was reading this, I found myself actually thanking Gaston Leroux for giving Erik the decency to let her go. The bits where Erik and Christine hated each other in this story were tangibly painful. I kept wishing so deeply that it would end the way Leroux intended, with Erik letting her go, dying peacefully, and Christine keeping him in her thoughts pleasantly. Because that is what makes Leroux's tale so timeless, that despite everything, Erik has the selflessness to let her go, and despite everything, Christine has the courage and the kindness within her to forgive him and remember him fondly for the rest of her life.

But the third and final chapter gave me the resolution I was hoping for. And in my opinion (forgive me for sounding juvenile), it was almost like Leroux's ending on crack. Even after /everything else/ Erik had put her through, Christine still had the courage and the kindness within her to forgive him. I myself have a tendency to be very bitter, like Christine in the first chapter and a half. I tend to make people feel bad for me when they've wronged me (like Christine admitted she did in this story), and I hardly ever forgive them. I'm not strong enough, I suppose. So to see someone that I saw so much of myself in completely turn this situation around and fix it with her forgiveness and her light was unbelievable. Christine is an incredible character and you've made that so much more real and visible with this story. You showed that she wasn't just this ethereal being like a lot of fics do. She wasn't just this perfect angel that bowed to the whim of Erik because she was just so saintly and was going to save him. You showed her humanness in her defiance of Erik, and in her depression. Let's face it: what twenty year old girl /wouldn't/ become morbidly depressed if she was recently locked up in a cellar for the rest of her life? Fics that just make her accept her fate and smile pretty for Erik for eternity are just plain wrong. And yet you showed that though she is human, she is still unbelievably selfless and kind, unlike many other humans.

Brava. Really, excellent job. You brought me through the same rollercoaster that the near 30 chapter Leroux novel brought me on in three chapters. Thank you for this. Forgive me for writing an essay as a review. This is what happens when I read really amazing content.

(Also, forgive me for not commenting on your characterization of Erik. It was, of course, spot on. His behaviors were just was not as shocking as Christine's. Same old selfish, grouchy, moody Erik. Like I said, my appeal for his character stems from his selflessness in letting her go, which your story obviously lacks. But please don't let this get me wrong, this is still undoubtedly one of my top five favorite stories. I just feel it highlights Christine's strength and resilience more than Erik's, and (correct me if I'm wrong), I believe this was your intention.)
AnnaKatarin chapter 3 . 12/29/2016
So really nice. I almost cried. Author, you have a talent. Thank you for a beautiful story!
isayironicthings chapter 3 . 10/16/2016
This story is beautiful. It is one of my favorites, and I've read it so many times. I'd love to know what happens next, but I don't want to pressure you into a sequel or anything. I love how you wrote their relationship, and how it wasn't quite how they both thought marriage should be. You made both the characters to be very deep and believable and wow. You are an amazing author!
No really, you're one of my favorites. You have the right way of making things kind of... Creepy? Hmmmmm, interesting. I love your stories, and your way of not going overboard.
Okay, byeeee _
Riene chapter 3 . 6/11/2016
Lovely ending. The analogy of the fairy tale was perfect. I love the way you're having them both try so hard to make it work out. Patience and caring, the two magical pieces. Beautifully written, adding to my favs list. Bravo.
Riene chapter 2 . 6/11/2016
How unhappy and dysfunctional their relationship is. Very well written here, his denial and her anger. I was worried for her during the lake and bath scene, then feeling sorry for him as he cried! Good manipulation of the reader's emotions, there. I like the way this chapter ended with her thoughts... On to chp 3.
Riene chapter 1 . 6/11/2016
Oh wow. Very vivid descriptions of that cold permeating her body, her thoughts, her actions, his actions!
afaiths21 chapter 3 . 6/11/2016
This is just wonderful. Absolutely wonderful. :)
Lucyole chapter 3 . 5/19/2016
that was very beautiful, sad but sweet story too
at least she is attempting to be happy with him yay.
the end was great.
Bonpetitepoodles chapter 3 . 2/25/2015
Wonderfully written and oh so scary. Christine will forever keep the almost drowning in her psyche. What about children will he try to drown them too?
jme77 chapter 3 . 11/1/2014
Such a unique perspective. You really make your readers shiver with the backdrop chilliness and initial hopelessness of both characters. The frigid cold feels never ending and you've captured the feeling of despair that one can feel during a seemingly endless winter. Neither one knows what to do with the other for months on end until their breaking point but of course it has to be Christine who was raised with warmth and love to help change and break their pattern.

It would be interesting if you could do a follow up after their thaw going into spring and summertime. Your Erik seems more than capable of sweetness and geniality with the right push.
justrumbelledearie chapter 1 . 8/29/2014
This was absolutely lovely! Perfect ending to a Friday! Thank you.
Guest chapter 3 . 4/11/2014
This chapter never fails to bring me to tears. So very tender and loving.
54 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »