Reviews for The Storm
Brit-bound chapter 3 . 2/9/2012
sorry for the delay. wanted some quiet time to reread this when I could blink back all the tears I needed to in private.

I've jotted down some phrases that moved me - and some images, as well - like the look on grandpa's face as he watches his wife going about her work in the house. what a sweet and tender moment for mick to witness. it must have come back to him many times in his lonely future and must have been something he longed for - maybe that was even part of his thoughts at the train station that day - wondering if that kind of love was still an option for him.

'I wondered if it was still her that I missed or just the idea of someone by my side, someone to love me and to be loved in return.

I wondered if I would ever find a true soulmate."

You make me want to go back and watch the movie again in very slow motion with no outside interruptions so I can try to spot the moment he realizes he's found his soulmate and will do whatever it takes to protect her.

something about this makes me think of the scene where he sends her off in the boat and stays behind. I've always wondered if he stayed because he had begun to feel that he did have responsibility in the war or if he needed to show her he was capable of sacrifice for a cause or if he simply thought sending her off without him - maybe he planned to stay behind and create a distraction - was the best way to keep her safe.

""Sure. There are some sandwiches for you on the kitchen table. Thought you'd be hungry."

"Lovely. Thanks." I was indeed famished and wolfed the sandwiches down in no time

(Our boy will probably always be remembered with a wolfish appetite, no matter what role he plays. Wish I had his metabolism - or was able to run like he does and had the will to do it.)

"The man was every inch bad news on legs." I love this description! Is that an original thought or something you've heard people say before? It's a new one for me, but I'd love to borrow it.

The sudden rush of rain outside the window made me look up with puffy eyes, just as the clouds parted to let a faint rainbow show.

I pointed at it wordlessly.

"He's telling us that he's arrived", Grandma whispered with a tearful, bittersweet smile.

What a sweet, sweet ending. We all need to find symbols and latch on to meaning in the world around us to help us make a little sense of the un-sensible.

I can't imagine where you're going next, but I can't wait to find out. excellent job, as usual.

and thanks so much for your sweet words.

be blessed, britt-bound (don't I wish) Glenda
RooFran411 chapter 3 . 1/29/2012
Well done. I love the way you wrote about grandpa's loss catching the way Mick's sudden realisation of the silence .
EHfan chapter 3 . 1/29/2012
So many losses for Mick in this one - his first love, his grandfather, the boat they both loved. Slowly but surely you're building up the events that made Mick the man we first met IASL. Lots of nice touches in this one, lots of everyday things that we don't notice at the time but are so important in our memories. Excellent story.
anyother chapter 3 . 1/28/2012
Another beautiful story, but so sad - however, things couldn't get better, could they? That way he'd never have become the man we know from IASL... I like the way you write about everyday things as well, small details like Mick fidgeting while waiting for news of his grandfather. Well done!