Reviews for The Horse and his boy, Rat, Cat and Trickster
Saoirse7 chapter 1 . 2/20
That was fun! I liked it a lot! It seems like a pretty good explanation for some of the out-of-the-norm things in HHB. Now I really want to know what adventures the Trickster sent Aravis and Cor on!
Susan M. M chapter 1 . 12/18/2013
This is the first story I've read where Aslan reminded me of Albus Dumbledore.
TiaBolt chapter 1 . 4/9/2012
I have a feeling that, the way Morgan hit Aslam with candlesticks, Aravis would ed up haranguing Aslan for his "prank" leaving Cor with the fisherman. She will totally be the Trickster's. I'd live to see the mad adventure they get before they get old and boring, hint, hint. Once again, a lovely story.
fledge chapter 1 . 3/9/2012
A really lovely and refreshing little piece. Interesting how you leave the Trickster's sex undetermined. It seems somewhat logical she'd be female - as opposed to her brother. What did you have in mind? Of course you can always claim that characters like Tash or Aslan are basically sexless as the spiritual beings they actually are, but somehow I have a feeling you don't see it like that.

The relationship between Aslan and the Trickster reminds me of Goethe's Faust - God and Mephistopheles also have a rather friendly atmosphere between them.

And of course, like Dumbledore, Aslan's treatment of Shasta seems less than humane - but then, as opposed to Dumbledore, he isn't human...
ilysia chapter 1 . 2/23/2012
Oh, rth. Read this story on LJ when it went up there and loved it just as much. Your pantheon, I adore it. Your Trickster is spot on, and I love the way he views Aslan; because it's so rare that we get to see the Lion through the view of anyone other than one of his subjects (or one who hates him). It's refreshing- because as the Trickster points out, sometimes it seems like he really knows very little about people. Poor Cor. Still, he'll turn out alright in the end... as we know, with a little help from the Trickster.
Avia Tantella Scott chapter 1 . 2/13/2012
An excellent little snapshot, and wonderful world-building! I was so fascinated by the Trickster element in TQSiT, and am so glad you incorporated it into Calormen. The Trickster's voice was so well done (loved his witty commentary on Tash and Aslan), and the idea of Aslan employing him to meet his ends is just brilliant. You did a fantastic job creating the Trickster as a character who relishes a good joke but also has a fierce dedication to the poor and downtrodden; he's a perfect fit for Cor's secret guardian. I loved the interaction between him and the Lion/Cat, and really REALLY want to hear the story of the "mad adventure" that the Trickster sends Cor and Aravis on "before they get too old and boring and married." Please? :)

At any rate, another great piece! Congratulations, and thank you for reposting from LJ!
Aldergrace chapter 1 . 1/30/2012
This is wonderful. I love how you've portrayed the Trickster here, to the point that I find myself becoming a fan of Calormen. I also recall Lucy mentioning something along the lines of Aslan appreciating a good joke in AW, so it was cool to see that again. I had a good laugh at the bit about Aslan not thinking through Tashbaan yet - basically, the whole thing was just superb.
HarmonyLover chapter 1 . 1/30/2012
Oh, I love it, I love it! The narrative voice of the Trickster is just splendid, conversational and funny and sarcastic all at once. I also love that he is willing to negotiate with Aslan - with Aslan! I don't know that we see anyone else do that in canon, and it's absolutely delightful to see Aslan get irritated and a bit tetchy because he needs help and hates agreeing to other people's terms. It makes him a little less perfect, if you know what I mean. Thank you so much for this; it has brightened my day wonderfully. :)
WiseQueen chapter 1 . 1/29/2012
This is another example of a fairy-tale author who just gives the outline of his story and never gives a thought to the details of how it is to come about.

And another example of how you think it through and work out which problems need to be solved ...

The difference between fairy-tale and novel, again.

So the Trickster is going to work out some of the details we find in HHB - especially those involving playing pranks on the Tisroc and Tarkaans? Interesting.

The fairy-tale author didn't get to the bit about the mad adventure, either - naturally.

So you're free to do that as well ...
Clio1792 chapter 1 . 1/28/2012
This was utterly, utterly, excellent..the trickster's horror at Aslan's plans for Cor and the difficult time he can anticipate with the Fisherman were particularly good. And, at last, a character who is prepared to second-guess Aslan! This, truly, was the sweetest pleasure of all!

Glad to know our Shasta/Cor will have the magic rodent in his corner as he matures...

What a wonderful story!

Clio1792
thebluejay chapter 1 . 1/28/2012
At first when I saw this, I thought it was a continuation, because I forgot you hadn't put it up here. So when I saw it wasn't, it made me sad. But then I re-read it, and it made me happy again, so all is good with the world.

"There would be wild misunderstandings, too. The sorts of things humans could resolve in a minute if they ever talked properly to one another. Which they never, ever do." - so, so true.

Also, really, Aslan? You really can't do any better than Arsheesh? Really? I can think of several ways to make this work without ruining the boy's childhood entirely, and you can't? And you can't even be bothered to consider it because you're so sure it's not feasible? Arg.

Actually, now that I think of it, it would be awesome to see a story that has Cor mad at Aslan for that. Or Aravis on his behalf. Hmmm...
songsmith chapter 1 . 1/28/2012
I remember this from your journal, but I'd forgotten about it until now. I giggled all the way through! The Trickster's style of storytelling is very much in the flavor of the Anansi stories, with the digressions and the casual just-going-along flavor.