Reviews for Vulture Culture
Cottonmouth25 chapter 1 . 4/18/2013
You're right. The owls are total hypocrites in this way. Why can't they understand that each species has its own place in the world and that they're just trying to live out their own lives?

You've opened my eyes. I'm going to write a story about some creature that looks down upon the owls for something THEY do.
One Lucky Unicorn chapter 1 . 3/7/2012
Good stuff right here. What I really like:

- I think your writing style is quite close to Kathryn Lansky's own, and I like how you threw in some actual info about vultures (namely their sense of smell).

- How you showed that even though vultures aren't the prettiest birds around and have eating habits that are widely considered repulsive, they have emotions, thoughts, and care for their families just like the owls do.

- Owls, the proudest of all the birds? Sounds about right, lol.

I couldn't agree more with what you said in your author's notes. I haven't read the entirety of the series yet, but it's disappointing to hear about my favorite owl (Twilight) being such a jerk (yeah, he's rough around the edges, but didn't strike me as being an out-and-out bully).

I think GoG falls into that old trap of "(so-called) pretty' animals (wolves, eagles, etc.) good and noble, ugly/scavenging/scary animals bad". Granted they do kinda get away from this a few times IMO, like with Trader Mags and when the sea gull helped save a drowning Martin in one of the earlier books, but otherwise, seems like the only other birds the owls like are eagles. All other birds are looked down on, even by the owls' servants. A shame really. I find it weird how Miss Lansky could be oblivious to that double standard.

Sorry for all that TL;DR. At any rate, I think this fic has actually inspired a plot bunny... *rubs hands together gleefully*
tlc234stars chapter 1 . 2/4/2012
Sounds pretty interesting story. I like it and wonders what would happpen to the vultures. Will the vulture go to Great Ga'Hoole Tree? Maybe I am suggesting that you should add some humor and adventure in your story. Please update more!