Reviews for Beneath the Willow
xiren-too lazy to log on chapter 1 . 3/17/2005
sniffle... cry... bawl! So kawaii! Write more! More! More! .
Nightengale13 chapter 1 . 2/29/2004
The first fic ever to properly portray Houki. Loved not because she looks like Nuriko, but able to cause emotional vulnerability and some degree of pain because of her apperance. Her ability to connect with Saiheitei was never explained and especially because of the OVAs and Nuriko's presence near her, the assumption is easily made that she behaved similarly to the seishi.
A mere replacement, however, she is not, and you carefully and successfully channel Nuriko through her to bring her and Saiheitei emotional release while simultaneously making it clear how dissimilar Nuriko and Houki's personalities were. The rapid portrayal of her courtship could have been helped by the insertion of one or two telling snippets of dialogue dealing only with Houki and Saiheitei instead of solely focusing on thier connection through Nuriko. A short relation of a crucial gesture on one of the couter's parts might also have helped serve as a transitionary device.
But overall the use of light humor and deep sorrow, and the simple choice of location for Saiheitei's grief, make this an easy, smooth read. Props for pulling off a good storytelling of what most people don't even realize needs to be told.
And it does need to be told: Houki is one of only two central characters, in my mind, who are given basically no canon attention. The other is Chiriko. Point made? Neither of them can be removed, neither can be replaced; yet neither gets paid attention to! So good job, keep it up, and ::coughupdateI'mHimPLEASEcough::
Thirteenth Nightengale
Ryuuza chapter 1 . 6/6/2003
so sad. *sniffle* i stared at the tv and like this T-T the entire episode 33. i couldn't believe they let nuriko die! *wail* and they all felt it. ah, poor hotohori-sama, he wasn't even there, had no idea what had happened but...oh he knew SOMETHING had happened. oh sadness and pain.

houki...nuriko reincarnated! da da DA! ~_~' um...not being japanese and all (close tho-chinese!) what exactly does "na no da" mean anyway?

but it was a very good well-written tear-inducing fic. *sniff*
Purple Mouse chapter 1 . 6/24/2002
Nuriko: What, you mean you never reviewed this fic?

Mouse-chan: ;;; Er...well...

Nuriko: Hmph. And now you're coming back from the dead...or at least French camp...to belatedly assure Ryu-chan that the beautiful, tearjerking story is, indeed, more than satisfactory.

Mouse-chan: ;;

Nuriko: Some friend you are.

Mouse-chan: SHouldn't you be crying?

Nuriko:...Oh, yeah. g.g

Hotohori: NURIKOOOOOOOOOO!

Elijah Wood: Hey! What about me?

**Nuriko and Hotohori smooch**

Elijah Wood: GET OFF THE ROAD!

(Just in case you were missing the random, dumb side of our conversations. :P :P :P :P ) _~
shadow priestess chapter 1 . 6/4/2002
It's sweet! And i like where Nuriko used Houki to sort of say one last thing to his beloved Hotohori-sama.
NK chapter 1 . 5/23/2002
Gaaaah! I printed this, & I read it, & I forgot to revieeeeeewww! I loved it soooooo muuuuuuch! I haven't cried that hard in... a reaaaaaaally long time. ;_;. This is, like, the *only* Houki fic I like! (I mean, I like *her*, but how people write her always gets on my nerves) You made it so easy to view all the characters in all the ways it's so hard to see them. I cannot *believe* how good you are at writing people!
Hibari chapter 1 . 5/18/2002
Absolutely amazing. This needs to exist. My goodness! Fantastic. Wonderfully written and flawlessly sensible and considerate of natural emotional flow and concerns! (Or at least I think so.)

I had not gotten to the part in the series where Hotohori finds his Empress, and was dreading it, but I shall think of this fanfic and enjoy the idea no matter how silly and ill-explained the pairing turns out to be in the actual show. Hooray..
marzoog chapter 1 . 5/17/2002
oh, sad, but very good. me like.
NK chapter 1 . 5/16/2002
OK, I gotta get off, so I'm printing this, & I'm telling you in advance that it will be spectacular, & I will love it, & it will make me cry. U_U. bet my life on it. ~_.
trixie4 chapter 1 . 5/16/2002
*sigh* i imagine the scene where hotohori and houki meet being so like this.. (of course, in my imagination, they're both in love with nuriko, and they get married cuza duty.. but that's not really relevant here...)

so much emotion here.

thanks! (you've been a writing machine lately! yay!)

trixie
Shiho Hahnenfuss chapter 1 . 5/15/2002
Nice It's rare to find a fic that tells the story from Houki's POV. I always wondered what happened...

-Sano
Serta Sheep chapter 1 . 5/15/2002
Aww! That is so sweet! *sniffle* Very cute and well written! _

*suzaku no miko*
bashou-chan chapter 1 . 5/15/2002
That was so beautfiul...and I won't say anything else becasue it would just ruin the nice fluttery feeling inside me right now...~sigh~