Reviews for In the Trenches
BilkyFizzleweisIII chapter 1 . 6/26/2013
I absolutely loved this story! It was interesting to see into Brennan's high school years and such. Amazing job!
bailey80 chapter 1 . 3/16/2013
I was going back to find some old favorites I forgot to mark as such and couldn't believe I never favorited this story! It's one of the best Bones background fics ever. I consider this one a classic. :)
bluemuriel chapter 28 . 9/2/2012
"Several stood in pairs, demonstrating proximity that signaled sexual availability and interest."
Ha! Classic Brennan-anthropologist. Observing the mating behavior of fellow grad students.

That is some superb detail you've written about the place and the journey. Heat, greenery, people on the bus, sounds and smells.

Oh, dear. Her classmates think she's a cold fish. But the topic - people's responses to failure of protective elements - is very personal to her.

Look at how much she achieved after what she's been through. I admire people like this. She never wallows. She's driven, and does what needs to be done. She doesn't lament how reality is; she just deals with it. "I'm here to do a job. I can't do that job if I fail to analyze how our observations can help in the future as well as how my expertise can contribute to my field."

I'm glad, however, that Angela and Booth come into the picture later, so that with their influence, she doesn't have to stay in this space indefinitely.

Thanks for giving us this extra window into her mind.
bluemuriel chapter 26 . 9/2/2012
Another intense one!
Good, I like seeing your take on how she got started with martial arts. I'm sure she's thinking of the foster brother Brad and his father, too.
I'm almost glad that she had that meltdown when Russ called. One cannot go on forever, pretending to disdain human bonds. But it wasn't easy to read. I do love how you portrayed her struggle:
"She knew she should mute the volume or at least set the machine to pick up on the first ring, but she couldn't quite bring herself to excise his voice completely. She didn't need him. She didn't want to talk to him, but she couldn't let him go, either."
bluemuriel chapter 25 . 9/2/2012
I'm amazed our girl hasn't gotten an overuse injury from all that running. She could try cross training activities. But those might take more equipment and money.

I too have found that working out is one way to feel productive, rather than spend too much time reflecting on things I'd rather not reflect on.

The end of this section is painfully well done. The memories were cute and meaningful, so the contrast with the lonely present (and short sentences) worked very well.
bluemuriel chapter 24 . 9/2/2012
This is beautiful: "It reminded her of where the sky met the ocean on the trip to the beach back when she'd had a family."

And this, too; very Brennan: "She had a life to get on with, and there were no such things as ghosts."

As for the Congressmen she met at the parties, clearly Mel Reynolds' name didn't ring any bells with me. At the time I just thought it was neat how you include real people and places in your fiction. It's best to ground stories in reality like that, and I know as a writer it's not easy to do. Obviously, though (after I looked him up :), it's not a good thing to meet Reynolds!

Ha, nice jab, Mr Buxley, at Illinois politics: "Politicians-especially around here-don't give favors for free."
bluemuriel chapter 22 . 9/2/2012
I am so glad that the last two foster placements have been safe. And yet it's very sad, that she's forming the Brennan-logic that we know, assuring herself she doesn't need anyone. "Missing people was a waste of energy that could be used to achieve her goals."

I was glad to see the continuity with Frau Becker here, as in your "Commencement." It's fun to have you tell the whole story, whereas that chapter was a nice little window into part of the story.

I also like the descriptions of the house. It's cozy, neat and spartan, and gives Brennan a safe, if not loving, place to live and study.

Reply to your last note: yes, you should be proud of this story. So much thought and emotion went into it, it's hard not to like!
bluemuriel chapter 20 . 9/2/2012
What an interesting chapter!

First of all, this made me laugh. "To the Lighthouse. I'm finding the non-linear storytelling quite difficult to follow." I definitely agree.

Wow is this true? I've never heard of it. "I've seen a dead squirrel on the road with another shoving at it, trying to get it to wake up and come along."

Very nice balance with how T. asked Buxley his thoughts on death and consciousness, in the context of their raccoon science project. And he is very sensitive to what she's gone through: "it's a natural part of life to miss those who are gone...even if they're not dead, we miss what's changed." I'm very glad she has this friend!
bluemuriel chapter 18 . 8/31/2012
Cool, she gets to meet IL Congressmen?
Damn, I would not want to have the job she did here. I like her approach: "that's what I was hired to do." :)
bluemuriel chapter 17 . 8/31/2012
Thank you for the respite, for us and our poor girl. This foster placement looks good, I hope, but T has been burned too badly that now she won't recognize or trust something positive.
I also like how her relationship with Buxley, and their interest in science (dead animals), is sincere here, rather than kind of weird and humorous on the show.
bluemuriel chapter 16 . 8/31/2012
Yay for Mr Buxley! It's a relief that she might have friends, in him or the bio teacher. I like how you portrayed Buxley. Slightly creepy at first, but understanding: "A man in coveralls loomed over her, and the institutional fluorescents backlighting him hid his face, making his outline imposing. His hand was on the handle of a mop in a yellow industrial bucket on wheels. His voice, though, was soothing. "It's all right. We all need our quiet spaces."
bluemuriel chapter 15 . 8/31/2012
Bloody hell, that was awful. But great writing. It's always interesting to read and write events where your consciousness is altered. How she ever survived being locked in the car by the Gravedigger, after this, is beyond me.

Before the car part, however, this really got me: "In classes, a vital part of her awakened, like it had been sleeping all summer...possibly even since Russ drove away. Her mind was busy with new ideas. She determinedly didn't think about what was missing." I think we all feel like this about certain things, important aspects of our lives that get starved for whatever reason.
bluemuriel chapter 14 . 8/31/2012
Hi, I'm back after a too-long hiatus!
Oh, my. I'm exhausted and scared just reading that. We really feel things with Brennan in this story, thanks to your detailed and accurate writing. I especially like your descriptions of workouts, feeling strong and purged.
morganfm chapter 30 . 8/16/2012
A wonderfully engaging, moving, well written story that has captivated me with it's depth, all while including and remaining true to events mentioned throughout the show. Brilliantly done. :)
dawnknits chapter 30 . 6/25/2012
Thank you for writing this story. I enjoyed every chapter. You did a wonderful job of developing the characters while keeping in cannon.