Reviews for In the Trenches
iridescentZEN chapter 25 . 4/2/2012
Loved it! You keep me coming back for more. Which these days, is rare. Thanks for sharing!
ProfeJMarie chapter 24 . 4/2/2012
And now, I am all caught up. Our Brennan is about to enter the world and show them what's what.

And yes, Temperance, you are pretty. ;-)

And Max slinked in, but didn't even give her the benefit of a couple of hours... loser.
ProfeJMarie chapter 21 . 4/2/2012
I love Nora.

But I am wondering at how there was no warning for this transition? The situation seemed like she would have had a couple of days at least... to get luggage, for example, and whatnot.

*sigh* How sad for Brennan.
ProfeJMarie chapter 20 . 4/2/2012
What I like best about this chapter is that not only have we been experiencing a breather for a while, but it reflects what is often true of people who later become successful: There was/is *someone* who becomes involved - be it in small or big ways. You have Brennan showing bits of strength (beyond just "endurance") that would help her succeed, but to get to the next level (ie: college), would often require an advocate. Not always, of course - but often. Brennan has Buxley showing her kindness and finally a foster family that genuinely cares for her. To me, this shows a realistic transition to the path that Brennan eventually takes.
ProfeJMarie chapter 19 . 4/2/2012
Oh... the last 2 paragraphs of this chapter were pitch perfect. From the gentleness of Buxley to the fear and sadness of Temperance - and everyone crowded in the office to elicit that fear in Temperance... well done.

Also.. the line about her not being sure of the counselor and what he was trying to get at... whose side he was on... I was right with her. Couldn't tell. Well-meaning, I think... but he didn't have quite the empathetic gene on full active duty there. ;-)
ProfeJMarie chapter 17 . 4/2/2012
I love your Mr. Buxley. #ThatIsAll
ProfeJMarie chapter 16 . 4/2/2012
Good for Temperance for fighting back with Brad!

And yay for Ray the custodian! Only us teachers know how awesome the custodians can be. I have great scenes of my own with awesome custodians.

And yay for a teacher recognizing that Temperance, though incredibly disrespectful, might be going through something.

And thank heavens she's leaving the creepy house.

Good stuff going on in this chapter.
Some1tookmyname chapter 24 . 4/1/2012
JACKASS!

Ugh. Just. Yuck. Way for another adult to fail her. Jerk.

But Mr. Buxley still rocks it. I love the fatherly overtones he takes and that she is honest with him. It hurts my heart that she fears he is angry with her for the stupid congressman.

Frau Becker is great in a very stoic, non warm fuzzy way. I adore that she helps find just the perfect dress. Though the shopping is like torture for Temperance, it leads to this:

"Looking in the mirror, Temperance blinked back tears as she realized that she looked, like she'd always wanted to, like her mother. For the first time she saw that she was pretty."

So worth the shopping trip!

And then, another Jackass! Because it probably WAS her father. I hate that guy. Always will.

Eager to see what Northwestern brings.
Some1tookmyname chapter 23 . 4/1/2012
"The universe has made provisions for you. Perhaps this is how your parents take care of you now that they are gone."

Ah! The universe. Something she vaguely accepts, canon wise, years later. Nice touch.

The congressman recognizing her and finding a place for her is awesome.

Love, love, love Jerry the bike guy and I love that it shows her acceptance of different kinds of people. Brilliant.

The letter...oh it just made me sad for her at the end. I wish she could tell her parents, too. And Russ... he was just a kid himself, really but still, she really did need him.

Beautiful as always.
Some1tookmyname chapter 22 . 4/1/2012
Well, looks like Mrs. Dougherty did okay this time. And maybe Andy isn't all bad. People aren't single faceted, neither are the characters as you write them and I like this.

This broke my heart, though:

"She could take care of whatever she needed. She didn't need anyone else."

There it is; what it all boils down to, even when we first meet her canon wise, so much later in her life.

Mr. Buxley is a good man. Thank goodness for him and his kindnesses.
Some1tookmyname chapter 21 . 4/1/2012
OOOOOOOH! I knew it. This is the part where I swear a lot.

I know they couldn't help the job opportunity but it just makes me so, so sad for Temperance.

Frick on a stick.
Some1tookmyname chapter 20 . 4/1/2012
I hate the shrink, though he is not wrong.

I love Mrs. Bradenton, which probably means that's about to back up on me.

I love Mr. Buxley and Temperance's quiet attempts to understand life through the deaths of her "subjects."

And, though I can see where it could be otherwise, I think that yes, Andy was being a tool. I'm not sure what that flicker in his eye was, but it wasn't kindness. Not to me. But perhaps I am just a negative nelly
ProfeJMarie chapter 15 . 4/1/2012
It is a chapter like this one that gets me all irked with Russ again. I get that he was young, too... but he was no idiot. And he WAS a caretaker (I mean, we don't have a ton of evidence to support that, but what little we do... and his current character seems to imply this, too), so why did he ditch his sister? His dad bore into him about the dangers of that one guy, and still, he left. He was an adult and did not do the right thing. I can forgive him, but still be mad at him.

And none of that has anything to do with this chapter, except that she would never have been in such a situation if he had done what he should have. What does that mean for you? You did a wonderful job at describing the horrible emotional and physical experience that Temperance might have gone through with this canon event.
ProfeJMarie chapter 12 . 4/1/2012
As if the families couldn't get any creepier...
ProfeJMarie chapter 10 . 4/1/2012
Another collective review:

Loved the young Davis children and how you showed that Temperance IS good with kids (which we all know, but it's a nice flashback idea to see it in her past, too).

I felt like Mr. Davis' behavior was a bit inconsistent... when he struck Temperance it took me by surprise (excellent job at eliciting an emotional response), but felt appropriate, based upon the mood he set with his speech about being glad her parents were gone and so forth - and the whole "lesson" made sense. However, I expected a severe punishment for her perceived insolence at the dinner table - and his overall kindness/tolerance after the devotional experience seemed unlike him, too. For a man with such a quick and swift temper... I expected more of it.

The whole devotional scene was really well done. I could feel Temperance's extreme discomfort and feelings of being trapped. Also - the entire prayer sequence over her felt creepily authentic, too.

Still really dislike the social worker - both understand her and want to slap her. Can she go away, please? ;-)
196 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 .. Last Next »