Reviews for In the Trenches
hellomrbrighteyes chapter 20 . 3/23/2012
This fic has had me in tears for most of it, but that's a good thing. It means it's written well and it's connecting to its audience. I really like it. I have one question; is Booth going to be in this eventually?
razztaztic chapter 20 . 3/22/2012
You know, I always kind of thought she was given Brainy Smurf in high school for the same reason Booth gave it to her. It's who she is. I know she took it as an insult, but I don't think it was.

Until your story tells me differently, I'm still going with that interpretation. That look of Andy's face you described, the one she couldn't place, I'm going with that being a positive thing.

(And this: "I think your main social interactions occurred within the nuclear family that dissolved last year. I think that, without that focal point, you've been...at loose ends, and that you've detached yourself from these painful feelings, suppressed your reactions, and focused on your intellect, your academic ability: the characteristics that have earned you acceptance outside of your family. I think you fear that your only value to anyone is in what you're able to do." That is SO Brennan.)
Sheytune chapter 19 . 3/21/2012
"Maybe she could finish one last assignment before they took her away again."

Ouch. Poor Brennan. (I'd forgotten about the tennis incident.)
iridescentZEN chapter 19 . 3/21/2012
This is an amazing piece of work. Thank you for sharing with us!
Some1tookmyname chapter 19 . 3/20/2012
Oh dear, this chapter just broke my heart.

First of all, I remember my high school counselors as well meaning, but largely ineffective. And the dreaded extra curriculars. Blah. I completely feel and understand her hesitation. It's so hard to be among those who do not understand who you are and then to spend extra time with them? No thank you.

Then Evelyn and the tennis incident. I just...I can't even describe just how awful I felt for Temperance. Such a horrible thing to have happened to the best, most confident person, but when you've been treated as she has, when you've been beaten down, you can only come to fear retribution, accident or not.

Mr. Buxley's kindness made me teary when he said he didn't give up her spot. He gets it and she needs that. All I can do it hope the other adults understand it was an accident. Is it bad to hope she did say "Please don't hurt me" out loud? I want them to know what she's been through. I feel like everyone should know it. Then again, on some level, I suppose that would be humiliating for her as well.

So, so well done. Thanks for the early morning tears. Yep, that's how good you are. Thanks for sharing.
Some1tookmyname chapter 18 . 3/20/2012
The Bradentons are good people! I cannot tell you how relieved I am about that. It's about time!

It interesting to me that she balks against being called a natural in the kitchen...as if she can't be good at more than one thing. She's so focused on her schooling that she bristles at other, natural talents. No shame in being good at both!

But this? This literally made me let out a little "oh!"

"The stack of bills-she'd counted twelve coming off the roll of cash-felt damp and thick between her fingers. They felt like possibility"

Not only because they paid her for her work, but because she now she has a way to get to the light at the end of the tunnel and because it's just a beautiful, poetic way to say so.

Loved it. I can breathe
Some1tookmyname chapter 17 . 3/20/2012
I'm just so, so glad she is getting away from that horrible woman, this terrible family. Also, I'm just furious that Mrs. Dougherty is so unable to see her side of things.

And Mr. Buxley is a friend. An unlikely one, perhaps, for a teenage girl, but just what she needs. An adult who is what they seem.

Mrs. Bradenton seems sweet as well. Let's hope things are on the upswing now.
Impossible-Twins chapter 19 . 3/20/2012
Poor Tempe :( I don't think she was going to get into trouble anyway but she can't help expecting the worst :(
Sheytune chapter 18 . 3/18/2012
This story feels like reading something I already knew. It's very true to Brennan and what we already know about her time in foster care.
JayBee188 chapter 18 . 3/17/2012
Thank goodness these folks are nice... My 'dad' was a Ford salesman a few years back. I went up to the headquarters with him a few times- there were a lot of friendly people. One of them tried to trip me...but still. You know what I mean. Post soon, please.
a2zmom chapter 18 . 3/17/2012
Love how you incorporated Mr. Buxley. The one adult who knows instinctively exactly what she needs.

And poor Temerence has been so abused by this point she doesn't even see the genuine caring displayed by the Bredentons.
CrAzYbutLoVaBlE chapter 18 . 3/17/2012
Another great chapter! Lookslike thinngs are looking up for brennan. Its about time! I also like how you will end updating when bones comes back again! Watching reruns isnt the same!
Impossible-Twins chapter 17 . 3/16/2012
Mrs. Dougherty is absolutely clueless!
Impossible-Twins chapter 16 . 3/16/2012
Cant even imagine what she's going through or how scared she must be! :(
jsq chapter 17 . 3/16/2012
I loved that Mr. Buxley tells her she's going to be someone important- again, we get to see a glimpse of who she will become. You do a good job of illustrating how the bad experiences she's had with other families keeps her from recognizing a good experience (with the Bradenton's) when it comes along. That is what is so damaging about trauma. It's not just what happens to you, it's what it does to your world view and perception.
196 | « Prev Page 1 .. 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 .. Last Next »